Jambands.ca

Ottawa Jazz Festival

phorbesie

jimmys cobb's so what band was also really good. we left at 10:30 as my kids were pooped. we also saw toshiko akiyoshi at the library and archives earlier in the day. wow. amazing piano playing. and the woman is 80 years old taboot. my 6 yr olds was sleeping like a baby though. it was tough waking him up when the show was over (he had very little sleep the night before, so he did great staying up till 10:30 considering.) not going tonight. will be there on sunday though.

aside: is anybody going to montreal to see stevie wonder on tuesday night? i'm really looking forward to that. never been to the montreal jazz fest either.

don't miss trombone shorty at 7:30!

haha i missed this myself! i passed out after eating a rack of Ribfest.

al green was meh...cheesy as expected and fun to see but nothing to write home about.

the john henrys on the other hand, rocked! one of the better JH shows i've seen. good stuff.

I listened to Chris' tape of the SMV show and have to say I was blown away. Way way better than I imagined three bass players would sound.

From what I heard they teased Wanna Be Startin Something, Don't Stop till you Get Enough and played full versions of PFunks Flashlight and Belas Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (althougth both were not their standard arrangement).

Have you thanked a taper today?

S

I really wanted to see Pat Metheny. I have 4 of his LP's. I loved his shit in high school. Responsible bouche was playing me, and then it started raining.

Has he even aged since the eighties? Did he play James?

Edited by Guest

don't think he played james. pat and gary burton did several songs as a duo in the middle of the set. on one of the songs he was playing this crazy two necked guitar thingy. the 12 string was a really short neck. it also has strings going in the other direction. so, it was basically four instruments in one. he would play the frets of one and notes on another at the same time. any clue what that thing was?

saw a bit of maria shneider orchestra last night. it was okay, but nothing special to my ears.

42stringpikassoguitar_small.jpg

I think this was it. actually has a third neck.

The 42 String Pikasso Guitar. Forty two strings and weird, weird, weird. But playable. [Via Seihin]

In 1984 Pat Metheny asked me to design and build a guitar with †as many strings as possible†The resulting collaboration was the Pikasso guitar…This instrument took 2 years to build (approximately 1000 hours), and when the 42 strings are strung up to high tension, the Pikasso is under approximately 1000 lbs pressure.

If anyone's downtown on Friday, July 3 around lunch, guitarist Lucas Haneman's quartet will be playing for free at Confederation Park at noon. I saw Lucas sit in the Wayne Eagles at Avant-Garde Bar, and he impressed me. He's studied with Wayne, and I think is studying under Roddy Elias these days.

Aloha,

Brad