Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

Dont let that whole 'youngest team in the league' shit confuse you. MTL was right there not long ago but if you dont have blue chip prospects or if your prospects dont pan out it doesnt do you a whole lot of good, does it?

I mean, what do the Leafs really have to build around? Kessel and Phaneuf? Please. Its not like they have their next 2 first round draft picks.

If Phaneuf and Kessel dont pan out the Leafs are going to have major pains for years to come.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love these moves.

We were nothing.

Now we're different.

Can't hurt' date=' imo.

[/quote']

Typical Leaf fan, cant think this one through.

::edit for poor skills on my part::

And with their next 2 first round picks going to the Bruins?

Wow. Good luck with all of that.

Look, "imo" means "in my opinion". Geez, are you just paid to piss all over everything here, or just the parts I read?

We are last in the Eastern Conference. What are we gonna do, go last - 1? No, we're last. Toskala hasn't stopped a thing since he got here, Giguere is a #1 goalie who has an existing relationship with our goaltending coach. Can't hurt.

Ian White has had a good year, but gives the puck away far too much, and will likely have his salary doubled or tripled. Moving him, can't hurt.

Matt Stajan will prob be a good 3rd line centre. That was not going to be his role on our team so he was expendable. Therefore, can't hurt.

Mayers wanted out. He's out. Can't hurt.

Phaneuf, Beauchemin, and Kaberle are top 3 on a good hockey team. Seems like a good thing that we have them. Therefore, IMO, can't hurt.

Again, this is my opinion. I just figured when I made my original post yesterday and saw Booche joining in the thread that there would be some reason to check back today.

Guest Low Roller

I'm just going through the numbers and trying to wrap my brain around how Burke will build his team for next year...

The salaries on D are staggering:

Phaneuf $6.5M

Kaberle $4.25M

Beauchemin $3.8M

Komisarek $4.5M

Finger $3.5M

Schenn $2.975M

(Gunnarsson $800K)

That's a $29.3M back-end.

Add to that signed forwards for next year:

Kessel $4.5M

Grabs $2.9M

Orr $1M

Bozak $3.725M

And add Giguere's salary of $6M...

That's $48.225M against the salary cap for next season for 12 players (of which one is a 7th Defenceman). If we estimate the cap to be around $60M for next season, that leaves $11.775M for 10 players (full roster plus two spares).

I'm just going through the numbers and trying to wrap my brain around how Burke will build his team for next year...

The salaries on D are staggering:

Phaneuf $6.5M

Kaberle $4.25M

Beauchemin $3.8M

Komisarek $4.5M

Finger $3.5M

Schenn $2.975M

(Gunnarsson $800K)

That's a $29.3M back-end.

Add to that signed forwards for next year:

Kessel $4.5M

Grabs $2.9M

Orr $1M

Bozak $3.725M

And add Giguere's salary of $6M...

That's $48.225M against the salary cap for next season for 12 players (of which one is a 7th Defenceman). If we estimate the cap to be around $60M for next season, that leaves $11.775M for 10 players.

Roller, those numbers aren't great for the Leafs, but more moves have to be made. I am assuming that this is only the start of things to come. e.g., Finger to the Marlies where his salary can be wiped off the books. He and Frogren can be the Marlies 3rd pairing.

And while you are trying to "wrap your brain" around these numbers, I am thinking that Burke has already done some thinking about this.

Expect Kaberle to be gone by seasons end, Roller.

I'm a little confused Booche. What exactly did Toronto give up? What exactly did they gain?

To me I see a team that gave up a couple of good role players and a bunch of dead weight, while, on paper at least, improved their goaltending and defence.

Aren't Stajan and Hagman UFA at the end of the season anyways?

Personally if I was a Calgary fan I would be a little worried. The team just flat out pushed the panic button and are trying to plug all their holes with players from the worst team in the league. Crazy. And if that Rangers trade goes through, even crazier.

I mean, what do the Leafs really have to build around? Kessel and Phaneuf? Please. Its not like they have their next 2 first round draft picks.

If Phaneuf and Kessel dont pan out the Leafs are going to have major pains for years to come.

and if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. Captain obvious in the house.