badams

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too excited about this deal for Calgary:

From TSN:

Two teams in dire need of a shakeup have done just that, as the Calgary Flames have shipped defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

Ian White was Toronto's best (and cheapest!) D man this year, and maybe one of the most underrated guys in the league. I'm a bit surprised that Calgary was able to get him instead Jeff Finger, or someone like that. Obviously there will be more moves, but what's the price of TO's top 6 right now?

The rise of Mark Giordano made Phaneuf expendable.

Not to pile on (which means I’m about to) but do you know what the three last teams in the NHL standings (Toronto, Carolina, Edmonton) have in common? That’s right, they are coached by the last three men (Ron Wilson, Paul Maurice, Pat Quinn) to work behind the Maple Leafs bench.

I like both of these trades. Something needed to be done and we got the best player in both trades.

Phaneuf is 24 years old. Had some trouble but once again, he is 24 years old. I liked Ian White, and didn't mind Stajan, but obviously the Leafs weren't willing to pay them what they wanted next year.

As for Vesa, see you later. Go underachieve somewhere else. Jason Blake, you were terrible and had one good year. These were JFJ's awful signings and I am so glad they are gone.

Love these moves.

We were nothing.

Now we're different.

Can't hurt, imo.

Typical Leaf fan, cant think this one through.

::edit for poor skills on my part::

And with their next 2 first round picks going to the Bruins?

Wow. Good luck with all of that.

Edited by Guest
poor Sunday counting skills

I can't believe Ponikarovsky is still a Leaf.

As for the Leafs getting Phaneuf, he's an erratic version of Shea Weber, but he's got an incredible upside to his game, plus he's young. However, the Leafs have a history of ruining great players once they play for the team.