Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

As a Flames fan I'm digging this trade. Flamers are solid on D and with the emergence of guys like Giardano and Pardy, as well as the stellar play of big Jay, Phaneuf's days were numbered for sure. He just hasn't had the same killer instinct and has looked really sloppy and lazy the last season or so.

Maybe Elisha Cuthbert (sp) has been takin' the "piss" out of him...

At any rate, White was a decent bonus but Hagman and Stajan are the real meat to this deal for the Flames who are looking for a more balanced attack (have been for years).

The leafs lost some scoring depth for sure but as Burke said, the deal for a potential franchise player is too good to pass up. I also really like the Jiggy trade but am a little scared that Jason Blake is any closer too me location wise as that guy is freaky to look at. He did nothing for Leafs either.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Flames fan I'm digging this trade. Flamers are solid on D and with the emergence of guys like Giardano and Pardy, as well as the stellar play of big Jay, Phaneuf's days were numbered for sure. He just hasn't had the same killer instinct and has looked really sloppy and lazy the last season or so.

Maybe Elisha Cuthbert (sp) has been takin' the "piss" out of him...

At any rate, White was a decent bonus but Hagman and Stajan are the real meat to this deal for the Flames who are looking for a more balanced attack (have been for years).

The leafs lost some scoring depth for sure but as Burke said, the deal for a potential franchise player is too good to pass up. I also really like the Jiggy trade but am a little scared that Jason Blake is any closer too me location wise as that guy is freaky to look at. He did nothing for Leafs either.

The Flames are my #2 team.

On a good team, Stajan is a decent third-liner with absolutely no jam. Hagman is a solid third-liner too, and has more grit than he's given credit. I like White; he'll do well in Calgary. Phaneuf is a franchise defenseman but with a teenage mind. If he finds his form of two years ago, then the Leafs will win the trade hands-down.

Guest Low Roller
As for Vesa, see you later. Go underachieve somewhere else.

Remember when Vesa was the saviour to replace Raycroft who was underachieving? History repeats itself.

:surprise:

On a good team, Stajan is a decent third-liner with absolutely no jam.

Huh? On a "good" team, Stajan should be a perfect 2nd line pivot with the right wingers. There's nothing third-line about his game. Especially in the western conference.

"It's a cliche. If Wayne Gretzky can get traded, anyone can get traded. I was very surprised..."

Did he just refer to himself being traded in the same breath as Gretzky being traded??

Welcome to the land of massive ego, population neon Dion Phaneuf's head...

PS - This: :bonghit: is just awesome...lol

Edited by Guest

Ian White was Toronto's best (and cheapest!) D man this year, and maybe one of the most underrated guys in the league. I'm a bit surprised that Calgary was able to get him instead Jeff Finger, or someone like that. Obviously there will be more moves, but what's the price of TO's top 6 right now?

Maybe Burke sees Gunnarsson as a replacement for White? He's been reasonably impressive this year, and he's still very young.

I'll listen to McKenzie when he says this:

The other aspect of today's blockbuster wheeling and dealing by Burke is that the Leaf GM is affecting a culture shock on his moribund hockey team, and that's never a bad thing.

If nothing else, Burke and Calgary GM Darryl Sutter have provided us all a reminder of what it used to be like in the NHL, taking us back to the good, old days when managers weren't afraid or restricted from taking a high dive into the deep end of an icy pool.

Other than that, I'm with Schwa. Wait to see them play. Stats don't come close to telling the whole story. Change of environment plays a big factor in player turnarounds too (both ways).

At this point, any change is good change. Still am not wasting much of my time watching this team at all this season.

More trades to come ... there's no way Poni makes it to the end of the season in a Leaf sweater ;)

Here's to Calgary's sloppy seconds! Go Leafs Go!!

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

elisha-cuthbert-5.jpg

Just two years ago Dion Phaneuf was as close to an untradeable player as you can get. He was like Scott Stevens with offensive upside. Sure he had less charisma than his GM, and that's saying something, but you can't have it all. Calgary locked him up and we waited for the day when his #3 would be raised to the rafters of the Saddledome.

Nike even put him in their pre-olympic campaign featuring TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me". The Oregon-based company made the assumption that like his teammate Jarome Iginla, Phaneuf was an absolute lock to make the Canadian Olympic Team.

But then something very strange happened. And by "strange" I mean "the same thing that happens to players in every sport after they sign a fat contract and start believing their own hype". Dion stopped being the best defenceman on the Flames. Actually as of Saturday night you probably could have made the argument that Dion had become a somewhat ineffective fourth defenceman making over $6 million dollars a year right behind Mark Giordano, Robyn Regehr, and Jay Bouwmeester.