Jambands.ca

Gov't Mule tonight

HaMike

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

Am I crazy?

Yes,I think you are. [Wink]

Another highlight for me was shaking hands and chattin' with Warren before the show,and to top it off he remembered me & my buddy Geordie from 97 when we set em up with some Canadian kind(for free of course) after the opera house show,chillin'with Allen & Warren in 97 still sits high in my lifetime musical highlights.

Amazing show for me,never can get enough Mule.

Who's got my download of this?Was it recorded?

quote:

Originally posted by Esau13:

Who's got my download of this?Was it recorded?

I sure hope so. I saw a couple of microphones at the back of the floor. I want a copy too.

We "snuck" back into the venue after security left and stuck around for the post-show meet and greet. Got to meet Warren and drool like an idiot over the show. I also invited him to drop by 40 Main St. next time he's in Canada. [big Grin]

"??? > drumz"

The ??? (well, I have it listed this way) was Trouble Everyday, its a Frank Zappa cover. Good thing I had Jaimoe beside me and a hard-core Mule'r in front of me, or I would have had question marks all over the place.

Anyways, I am trying to write a review, but my head is still up in the clouds. Wicked show none the less.

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the current lineup with the new bass player, and keyboards has altered the sound a bit, at times it felt an awful lot like going to a Phish show. Am I crazy?

You're a bit crazy Trevor, but I think that's between you and your psychoanalysis. [Wink]

I sort of get what you're saying, but I don't know if I'd have compared them to Phish. I always think of Phish jams as usually being oriented around grooves and building parts, whereas Mule to me are generally following a more traditional blues/jazz/rock-type approach of somebody blows a big solo while the band back them up. That's obviously a huge simplification 'cus obviously Mule can groove and obviously the guys in Phish can play great solos, but those tend to be the favored styles of those bands IMHO, at least from what I've seen of both. The keys in Mule to me just add another voice and another soloist.

There's also the fact that Danny Louis seems to favor playing clavinet and organ, whereas Page seems to play a lot more piano than Danny. I'm sure some folks could find shows from both bands that are exactly the opposite, but that's just my impression.

- M.

Yeah I agree with you Jay. Just there were a few times where they were groovin' pretty good, there was one particular time midway through the first set, where for some reason they just reminded me an awful lot of Phish. Either way, I really dug the addition of the keyboards. As well, the bass player does a great job following up on the heavy driving bass that Allen laid down.

"Crazy? Don't mind if I dooo! WHOAAAHGSOAHGSGHSFKLSHFLADHASLEHRLERHJ"

Question about the Cortez encore... did they play the whole song? When it ended, Warren was trying to get the audience to sing along but very few people were singing after the "Cortez, Cortez" part. After a couple of attempts it looked like Warren got frustrated and ended the song short.

Yeah I kinda thought the same as well. Seems like it was cut a bit short. I'll tell ya though, I think when they started, as soon as Warren touched his guitar, I realized they were about to launch into Cortez, I went banannas, definetly the most excited I've ever been for an encore.

BTW- I think Warren would have been arrested in the States at the end of the show for comparing George Bush to Cortez, and saying he wanted to kill him! Gotta love Canada... Furthermore the dudes infront of us, got busted for puffing like a thousand times, they still didn't get the boot, I heard the security guy saying "just stop it ok?". hehe

We had the security right beside us at the stage and they never said word one to us about smokin' or tokin' except to ask me what song was playing,even puffed a few in the beer line,in my opinion security was amazinly friendly and tolerant of everything,except with folks standin in the aisle,but that was a fire-code thing,which to me made sense.

I would return to that venue in an instance.

Yeah it was totally free and clear all night. Then about half way through the 2nd set this security guy started patrolling the left side of the balcony. After busting these guys infront of me (again, if it was the states they would have been arrested) countless times, and seeing everyone else around blazing, I think he finally gave up. Basher, POG and I were getting huge kick out of it, because every time they would get busted, as soon as security would walk away, these guys would lite up again. I was sure they were gonna get the boot.

I had such a great time. The show was incredible and I saw so many people that I wanted to hang out with for longer than I did. The venue was very cool, not just for the intimacy because of it's size, but definitly because the security was pretty lax. We were super stoked to see that we had front row seats, but when we sat down in them, huge speakers were all we could see. No matter, because when we stood up, it was great to be so close.

Can I just say that I am now in love with Chris Robinson? I don't think I've seen anyone who looks better in a pair of jeans then he does, and yes, his movements totally reminded me of John Lennon. Just wonderful.

To all of those that I invited back to the suite after the show, I apologize. I haven't been myself healthwise lately and I quickly fled after the show due to some severe side effects that took me over. You know we'll do it again.

Lastly, thanks to Booche and Sally for sharing the suite with us. We love you guys and love that we finally got to spend some quality time together.

The security dude near us (where esau's talking about) was about to let me out that side door for a piss, but he was saying "I sure hope my supervisor doesn't see me letting you out to take a piss". I felt bad, and said, no worries, I'll go the long way. I just went up and around to the washrooms.

That guy was too tolerant and nice.

We were hoping to hook up with you guys after Jay, but andre and I were waiting for the aftershow stuff, and it took a while. We managed to run into Esau on the way back to Jaimoe's though.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

We were hoping to hook up with you guys after Jay, but andre and I were waiting for the aftershow stuff, and it took a while. We managed to run into Esau on the way back to Jaimoe's though.

No worries man, we were kinda bagged anyway and just headed home after finding food. We'll catch all y'all soon!

- M.

I've seen the Mule 6 times and the Warren Haynes Band once: this was my 2nd best Mule show. The best was Allen Woody's last at the Comfort Zone 3 years ago - and it wasn't because it was Woody's last Mule show either that made it the best. That show just plain smoked.

This concert kicked the last Toronto Mule show last February. I thought the Feb show was average Mule, weighed-down by too many mid-tempo tunes. This show was mainly hard-blues and I got to hear my favourite Allman's song ( Dreams ), my fav Mule song ( Mule ), one of my fav Zappa tunes ( More Trouble Every Day ) and my favourite Crazy Horse tune ( Cortez ).

I enjoyed hanging out with Ms Hux, Sally, Bouche and Booche Friday and Saturday. Nice to see Esau, Passed Out Guy, Basher, Jody etc... Sorry I missed Mr. Musicface ( who came with you to the show Jay ? ).

My new place has good walls thankfully. 2am and the following tunes got cranked ( with no noise complaints ): The White Stripes' Ball & Biscuit and The Black Math , Television's Little Johnny Jewel and My Morning Jacket's One Big Holiday .

All-in-all, a great weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Sorry I missed Mr. Musicface ( who came with you to the show Jay ? ).

I was there with Jeff (a.k.a. bald guy in a blanket) - I actually saw you talking to bouche at one point but you were way on the other side of the room. Sorry we missed you but glad you enjoyed the show - figured you would! [smile]

- M.

Possibly the sweetest treat for me was Warren pulling out the 12-string and playing a rare "Raven Black Night" - wow!! Smokin' Mule show...in my top 3-5 out of 16 so far. Thanks to all with the kind smilin' faces who increased the overall joy of the night 10-fold. It was especially cool to see some of the familiar faces having their asses kicked for the first time, and digging every moment!!

Possibly the sweetest treat for me was Warren pulling out the 12-string and playing a rare "Raven Black Night" - wow!! Smokin' Mule show...in my top 5 out of 16 so far. Thanks to all with the kind smilin' faces who increased the overall joy of the night 10-fold. It was especially cool to see some of the familiar faces having their asses kicked for the first time, and digging every moment!! [big Grin]

Archived