Though I never thought that we could lose

Theres no regret

If I had to do the same again

I would, my friend, fernando

abba.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rush is amazing. Neil Peart is one of the most influential, innovative drummers of our time. Geddy Lee's bass lines are very intricate, not to mention he sings over top them. Not too many bass players out there can do that. Lifeson fits the mold like no other guitarist can. Any person who appreciates musicianship would appreciate Rush and what they've done for music and Canada. Their work in the 70's is unbelievable. How do you go about writing songs like YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, Tom Sawyer, Xanadu etc, etc, etc? Those are some insane compositions. Any of you who think they "suck", ever seen them live before?

I've seen them 6 times and I'd go see them again in a heartbeat. They've put on some of the best live shows I've seen. Neil Peart's drum solo is worth the ticket price alone. I realize that people dislike Geddy's voice, and I can agree that their late 80's and 90's stuff is cheesy, but whatever, you have to give credit where credit is due. They've been rockin' for 30 years (most of us weren't even born, when they were writing some of that crazy shit) and made 20+ albums. Like it or not, they are one of the most talented bands of our time and they're from Toronto!

quote:

Originally posted by Your Mother:

They've been rockin' for 30 years (most of us weren't even born, when they were writing some of that crazy shit) and made 20+ albums. Like it or not, they are one of the most talented bands of our time and they're from Toronto!

here here! there is a lot to like about rush. all of this "this band sucks" and "that band sucks" banter is boring.

Your Mother,

Rush hasn't put out a great album since Signals, and even that album has some synth stinkers on it. Given, their 70's albums up to 1982's Signals are good, however all their other releases over the past 20 years are not.

You forgot to mention Liefson's great guitaring. He's as good a lead player as this country's ever produced.

It disappoints me to see that a "community" that's supposed to be so open minded and knowledgeable about music can simply say that a band "stinks" or "sucks". It disappoints me even more that someone would post a discussion about it. As a musician, I have a humbling motto: If you can't play it, don't mock it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Your Mother,

Rush hasn't put out a great album since Signals, and even that album has some synth stinkers on it. Given, their 70's albums up to 1982's Signals are good, however all their other releases over the past 20 years are not.

Yeah but really the same could be said for the Stones or AC/DC or any other band that has been going since the 70's(or 60's...uh like the Dead) I've never listened to many of the albums but I have a few choice Rush bootlegs from the 70's when they were as fuggin awesome as AC/DC and the Stones were back then.

So based on popular opinion I've decided that Rush do, in fact, suck. Apparently I've been deluded all this time. I'll be giving away all my Rush CDs, LPs, cassette tapes, 8-tracks, VHS & Beta cassettes, posters, t-shirts, thongs, bongs and nude photos as soon as I get home tonight, and then I'll be going out to buy every Grateful Dead CD I can get my hands on, 'cus apparently they're the only good band there is.

If any of you want any of this stuff, you can get it off Jaimoe's lawn - Hux will pay for the cab.

I'm off to listen to "Terrapin Station" several thousand times in a row.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Your Mother:

As a musician, I have a humbling motto: If you can't play it, don't mock it.

That's insane. I can't paint a squiggle but I can express my distaste for the paintings of Robert Bateman. I can't act but I think Tom Hanks is an over-rated hack. Do I have to able to play all of "2112" in order to have an opinion on it?

It's a debate about taste, not ability. Not even the biggest Rush-hater in the world could deny they are great musicians.

Archived