Jambands.ca

The Hold Steady minus one

Northern Wish

Terrible news for about 7 of us on here, tumbleweeds for the rest........

Sad day IMO:

In a statement to fans Franz Nicolay has confirmed that he has left American rockers The Hold Steady.

Formed by songwriter Craig Finn, The Hold Steady emerged from the ashes of several well regarded Minneapolis groups. Retaining their punk origins, the band added elements of Americana to great acclaim.

Finn's growth as a songwriter saw him compared to Bruce Springsteen, with The Hold Steady's gutsy rock earning acclaim. A but like a Steinbeck novel soundtracked by Husker Du, albums such as 'Stay Positive' have built a loyal fanbase.

Now fans have been shocked by the departure of Franz Nicolay. A founding member of The Hold Steady, the multi-instrumentalist helped move the group towards a folk derived direction.

Adept a keyboards, accordion and much more Nicolay's role in The Hold Steady can't be understated. However it seems as though the American rockers will have to do without him, with Franz Nicolay confirming the split in a short statement.

"You should know: I’ve left The Hold Steady" he wrote on his website. "I told the band I’d be leaving in early September, played my last show with them in Minneapolis around Thanksgiving, and dotted the t’s and crossed the i’s this week."

"Five years seemed like a nice round number. Thanks to everyone who was a part of the experience, especially the Unified Scene, who are nice folks. I’ll see you all soon in any case."

In the meantime, Franz Nicolay has confirmed details of a literary new direction. "My story collection 'Complicated Gardening Techniques' is out next month, “Guignol & Mischief Brew Fighty Dirty†is out now, as is my EP “St. Sebastian of the Short Stage; and I’m producing a record from Brooklyn’s The Debutante Hour."

Forget about those Sean how can they manage One For The Cutters? Their going to need to put out a casting call like Ween did and pluck someone like Glen from Blood, Sweet and Tears. Honestly (well apart from Finn) Niolay was the heart and soul of that band.

The band needs a shake up so this might not be so bad in the long run.

Based on what Ollie?

I can't see them playing a tonne of their songs without Franz. Seriously how could Stevie Nix ever appear again? Or Modesto is not that Sweet with no accordion?

This is shocking.

I just think the band was getting stale on the last album so a shake up of any kind might be a good thing. It's not like they can't hire a replacement.

Based on what Ollie?

I can't see them playing a tonne of their songs without Franz. Seriously how could Stevie Nix ever appear again? Or Modesto is not that Sweet with no accordion?

This is shocking.

I just think the band was getting stale on the last album so a shake up of any kind might be a good thing. It's not like they can't hire a replacement.

Clearly you have never see the Hold Steady live. There will be no replacement..... Franz was at least 25% of the show.

Clearly you have never see the Hold Steady live. There will be no replacement..... Franz was at least 25% of the show.

I've seen them live.

Nobody died here guys.

Of course its not that serious, but my favorite member of my favorite band just left. Like I said at the top of this thread, this is only important news to MAYBE 7 people around here. I didn't count you in that 7......

Chug. Chug. Chug.

Doesn't NewRider have to chime in first? I wish he would hurry up - I'm thirsty!

I didn't see anything in the rules that says you can't use posts that happened in the past to trigger chugging. There's also nothing in the rules that says you can't re-use posts.

Aloha,

Brad

Based on what Ollie?

This is shocking.

It's not like they can't hire a replacement.

What a second.... Does 'ersh play accordion?