Jambands.ca

The new iPad

Kanada Kev

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine 10 people' date=' most getting groceries for a family, possibly for the month, all ahead of you in line while the cashier adds things up in their head[/quote']

When I was 19 I worked at a very busy convenience store. When the boss trained me, he trained me to NOT punch in the amount tendered (that is, the amount the customer gives me) into the cash register. Instead, I was to count the change up to the amount tendered. "When you get used to it, it's much faster" he said. I was very skeptical, but he was definitely right. After a couple of shifts, I did indeed find it much faster make change that way.

Out of curiosity, how often did you have 100+ people during your shift buying hundreds of dollars worth of groceries? My point really wasn't that it couldn't be done without a register though.

Like I said in my post, some people just make honest mistakes, some have trouble with the math and others have no trouble at all.

btw, I understand amount tendered. ;)

When I was 19 I worked at a very busy convenience store. When the boss trained me, he trained me to NOT punch in the amount tendered (that is, the amount the customer gives me) into the cash register. Instead, I was to count the change up to the amount tendered. "When you get used to it, it's much faster" he said. I was very skeptical, but he was definitely right. After a couple of shifts, I did indeed find it much faster make change that way.

I also learned the "count up" method when I worked at a job without a register. I swear I learned better math skills in that chip truck than I did at school.

most cashiers are bad at math because they use a cash register as a tool because I'm often in some scenario where the cashier has already rung up $10.63, I've handed them a twenty, they punch it in and then my girlfriend whips out her change purse and hands them 13 cents after the fact and the cashier correctly hands me $9.50 back. That happens far, far, far more often than his scenario.

I feel that you guys are generalizing with cashiers to a point where you're blaming bad math on their afterschool job. If that was a carrier move, I'm sure they'd work hard at making change in their heads, but since that's not the case, why would they give a shit? The problem is not with the cash register or the grocery clerk job, but with those who are responsible for the teaching of fundamental math. parents, teachers, and the school system.

They're all breeding and teaching a generation that will be unable to work out a simple budget and will then leave it up to credit card companies, banks, and other large corporations to tell them how much they owe. It's a big conspiracy. It's along the same lines as the myths of global warming, the science project known as HAARP, and of course 911. discuss.

jessee-sss.jpg

That's a horrible misquote Bouchetard.

I still disagree with the whole premise that most cashiers are bad at math because they use a cash register as a tool

I'm of the opinion that most people can do basic math and usually assume if there's a mistake it's because they don't give a fuck, maybe I'm giving my fellow human too much credit but I don't think so.

I think this has derailed a bit, I "think" the point Velvet was making is that, very generally speaking, without examples, we have much less ways to exercise our bodies and minds thanks to technological "tools". Of course a cashier needs a cash register and engineers need calculators.

I think this has derailed a bit, I "think" the point Velvet was making is that, very generally speaking, without examples, we have much less ways to exercise our bodies and minds thanks to technological "tools". Of course a cashier needs a cash register and engineers need calculators.

But, we have all the same ways to exercise our minds and bodies as we've had all our lives. It isn't the technology to blame for people being lazy, mentally or physically. Blaming technology is a cop-out, in my opinion.

Agreed though, this sorta went off the road. Personally, I'm just replying to help promote the new iPad.

But, we have all the same ways to exercise our minds and bodies as we've had all our lives. It isn't the technology to blame for people being lazy, mentally or physically. Blaming technology is a cop-out, in my opinion.

Very true, very true, I guess the technology just makes it a LOT easier to be lazy.

Personally, I'm just replying to help promote the new iPad.

rofl

'Look what I found - a litter version of the internet! This used to be something that could convert carbon dioxide into oxygen using only sunlight, water, and a few nutrients -- but now it's way cooler - it has two functions: you can either put little words on it, or crumple it up into a tiny ball and throw it!'

newspaper.gif

buppa-bonnet buppa-bonnet buppa-bonnet-de-la-douche

it has two functions: you can either put little words on it, or crumple it up into a tiny ball and throw it!'

What? Way more than two.

They make fantastic hats:

newspaper-hat-8.jpg

paper mache, pet rodent cage liners, bird cage liners, roll 'em up for road hockey goalie pads, etc. etc. etc. ...... and then recycle it ;)

If that was a carrier move' date=' [/quote']

Spell check vs. proof-reading - GO!

(And chug, as per the AD Rule of the drinking game)

that was my french training mixing up my english vocabulaire.

career

carriére

good point though. most people at work don't even bother to attempt to correct spelling/grammar errors, and instead add one step before hitting 'send'. spell check.

did I spell grammar correctly AD?