Jambands.ca

The new iPad

Kanada Kev

when i got my timmie's in the mcmaster student center this morning i saw that the cash registers were down. all of the servers were literally writing down each of their sales, itemizing and totaling on paper. when i joked it was going to be a nightmare of a day for them, one tapped on her head and said, "nah, it'll be fun, i get to think for a change today". then she overcharged me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have no problems jailbreaking it yourself. A monkey could do it.

Carrier is more the issue, if you're Rogers or Fido then get a GSM iPhone. You'll have it jailbroken in about three mouse clicks.

The bottom has dropped on the 16gig 3g now that the 3gs is out. I bought mine used over a year ago and it's going strong (though battery life on the iPhone isn't amazing if you're constantly screwing around on it but that's to be expected, you're running a pretty decent screen).

If you're on Bell I'm assuming you can get a Bell iPhone these days though there are probably less of them and they won't be as cheap because they're newer. I really don't know much about them but I'm sure someone on here may. At one point I heard something about Bell going GSM but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it further and see what I can come up with. Finances are needing to be spent on other things right now, but you never know when a good deal may appear ;)

AD?

Did you have an argumentative post up and then delete it? If so, you've shamed all of Rich Stadium.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it further and see what I can come up with. Finances are needing to be spent on other things right now, but you never know when a good deal may appear

If you ever think you might get one just give me a pm before hand and I'll help you through it.

AD?

Did you have an argumentative post up and then delete it? If so, you've shamed all of Rich Stadium.

There's enough shame in there already.

But yeah. I don't like the argument about the calculator. It makes things easier for many people. Because one person is super SMRT and can do easy math in their head does not mean the technological math tool that others rely on is 'wrong,' or that those people are stupid. There's more than one right way to do most things.

Holy crap, Apple managed to provoke philosophical debates all over the place with this one product release.

RE: calculators and 'dependency' on technology - my own strengths lie somewhere outside of numbers. If I can create a tool - or receive benefit from the tools created through the brilliance of others - that will allow me to exploit my strengths and put tools to service to hasten that endeavor, I am all for it. Many people can wrestle numbers to the ground in no time -- I can not. I am as happy to use a calculator as I would be happy to use a spear to kill a wild boar for food. Sure, I could try to do it without the weapon and take it on with my hands, but I am clever enough to have a tool. It's what humans have always been doing. I could constantly badger someone who is good at numbers, but why, when I can make use of a tool created through our collective ingenuity?

I'd also make use of a walking stick, a cane, or a crutch for a bum leg (though, let's not kid ourselves, I'd obviously pimp it out) to give support to an existing weakness. Tools rock. Humans are really good at making and finding novel uses for tools.

Jesus, it's 2010 and we are arguing about calculators.

All that said, I think the Luddites get a bad rap. Their grievances were legitimate.

2 things that I love about this thread.

1. Apple has managed to get even those that are against innovation to argue talk about the iPad.

2. Velvet and Sloth are arguing about an event with a guy who works at a convenience store, is bad at math, and it NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Using an elevator to go up one stair is wrong, yes, and if people did it every time they would eventually lose the ability to go up stairs.

"That'll be $1.98 sir, from a $10, that's $8.02 change."

"I gave you a $20."

"Oh yes, you did. I'm sorry sir, I'll have to get the manager to void the transaction so I can ring it in again and find out how much change you should be getting."

they did actually perform the correct calculation for the figures they had, they just weren't paying attention, with or without too much reliance on calcalators they would have blown it....I think humans have been spacing on sh!t since the beginnnig of time.

And I wouldn't call it a mental math error, in this case it would be a mental math inability, and they did not perform the correct calculation, any more than you kicked field goals on your head-to-head football, they merely tried to get a machine to perform a function.

And I wouldn't call it a mental math error, in this case it would be a mental math inability, and they did not perform the correct calculation, any more than you kicked field goals on your head-to-head football, they merely tried to get a machine to perform a function.

2. Velvet and Sloth are arguing about an event with a guy who works at a convenience store, is bad at math, and it NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

To be fair, I was in and out of this crashing webinar at work, which is the only reason I had the time to debate, and miss read his post, under his hypothetical premise he was right, the cashier was bad at math.

I still disagree with the whole premise that most cashiers are bad at math because they use a cash register as a tool because I'm often in some scenario where the cashier has already rung up $10.63, I've handed them a twenty, they punch it in and then my girlfriend whips out her change purse and hands them 13 cents after the fact and the cashier correctly hands me $9.50 back. That happens far, far, far more often than his scenario.

Anyway Velvet and I have argued this one more than a few times and probably will again, the good thing is that I know he's off snowboarding today so he won't be around to defend his point.

I still disagree with the whole premise that most cashiers are bad at math because they use a cash register as a tool ...

Coffee and a donut: $2.57

Presented: $3.10

Mad jiggling of change, confused look.

"Oh, I see what you are doing, you want quarter"

Change: $0.28.

It's funny, my very same own mug, double double, with a dutchie at the very same Timmie's at McMaster every day results in prices that vary from $2.14 to $2.67, and change that also seems to vary randomly as well.

[color:purple]

It's become my morning Stuart Smalley re-assurance silent moment that Im special and the people I work with like me because I can do math.

Holy crap, Apple managed to provoke philosophical debates all over the place with this one product release.

So true... This thread was already a mile long and a couple days old by the time Apple sent an official email to me about the new iPad.

Brilliant fucking buzz marketing!

Speaking of which, I hear there's a new Apple product on the horizon made for the PC crowd that has inadvertently helped market, yet resisted buying any iOfferings thus far: its called the the iDouche ;)

[color:purple]Good news! Jack Bauer will be using the iPad to solve some problems in an episode of 24 later this season.

[color:purple]He'll need to call MacGyver to figure out how to connect the camera to upload the photos of the terrorists and to email them to CTU all while working on no sleep/eat or bathroom breaks for HOURS!! Maybe Jack wears super-absorbent iPads in his pants so he doesn't have to stop to pee!

macgyveref2.jpg

But yeah. I don't like the argument about the calculator. It makes things easier for many people. Because one person is super SMRT and can do easy math in their head does not mean the technological math tool that others rely on is 'wrong,' or that those people are stupid. There's more than one right way to do most things.

I did say 'wrong' in my post. However, I did not say 'stupid'.

I see your point about "more than one right way".

Most people, I think, can do simple math calculations in their head, but many are unwilling to even try because they've become reliant on the calculator or cash register.

Holy crap' date=' Apple managed to provoke philosophical debates all over the place with this one product release.[/quote']

So true... This thread was already a mile long and a couple days old by the time Apple sent an official email to me about the new iPad.

Brilliant fucking buzz marketing!

Speaking of which, I hear there's a new Apple product on the horizon made for the PC crowd that has inadvertently helped market, yet resisted buying any iOfferings thus far: its called the the iDouche ;)

I wonder what people would be saying if they went for groceries and none of cashiers used registers.

Imagine 10 people, most getting groceries for a family, possibly for the month, all ahead of you in line while the cashier adds things up in their head.loljb.gif

I've had my share of incorrect change, but I catch it, so it's never a big deal. Some people just make honest mistakes, some just have trouble with the math, some none at all, that's fine by me. I doubt I could tell which it was for each person though.

Imagine 10 people, most getting groceries for a family, possibly for the month, all ahead of you in line while the cashier adds things up in their head

When I was 19 I worked at a very busy convenience store. When the boss trained me, he trained me to NOT punch in the amount tendered (that is, the amount the customer gives me) into the cash register. Instead, I was to count the change up to the amount tendered. "When you get used to it, it's much faster" he said. I was very skeptical, but he was definitely right. After a couple of shifts, I did indeed find it much faster make change that way.