Jambands.ca

The new iPad

Kanada Kev

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add that it's because of useless garbage like this that I will one day not be able to buy and read a book, and I like books.

Exactly! Just like the kill blow that compact discs dealt to vinyl. You never see anyone releasing shit in vinyl anymore....oh wait.

There will always be books, at least in our lifetimes, now go back to fluffing bad bands :)

Please note I love my iPhone with the passion of a thousand burning suns but I'm pretty meh! about the tablet.

Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet

CUPERTINO, CA—Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of shit! Just stick already!" Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer

If they put out adobe flash support, a vid camera, and multitasking, his demo would have been FILLED with applause and hoots and hollers. No one needed to see him surf the web without something new. He didn't really prove the argument that this makes surfing the web better.

so, you are a luddite then velvet? for every ipad or calculator, there is an MRI or brighter brakelight. you sound old, man. :P

Yes, I'm a luddite and yes, I'm old.

For every ipad or calculator, there's a pile of manpower that went towards something useless instead of something useful.

I will add that it's because of useless garbage like this that I will one day not be able to buy and read a book' date=' and I like books.[/quote']

Exactly! Just like the kill blow that compact discs dealt to vinyl. You never see anyone releasing shit in vinyl anymore....oh wait.

There will always be books, at least in our lifetimes, now go back to fluffing bad bands :)

Please note I love my iPhone with the passion of a thousand burning suns but I'm pretty meh! about the tablet.

Just as you were one of the first people I thought of when I posted, you prove my point through attempted sarcasm.

How many artists are releasing vinyl nowadays? Everyone? Not even close. Sure, some people are releasing on vinyl now, but not many, and usually only acts that are proven successful. Seriously, if I only listened to music on a turntable do you not agree that there would be a lot of music unavailable to me?

And anyone who has seen you in a social situation in the last year or so knows you love your iphone. I used to love head-to-head football.

wait... what the fuck is wrong with a calculator? They're kind of important when designing bridges, buildings, etc...

Did Steve remember to include one in his super absorbent iPad?

btw - do you have to download the ability to iMenstruate app to be able to use the iPad? Can we get some iWings and some fake blue iBlood to pour onto it??

Should have called it the iTab ... referencing LSD for a device such as this makes much more sense than feminine hygene prods, no? ;)

Can't wait to see the first hipster Apple fanboy displaying their iPod proudly walking down the street. I'll be sooooooo jealous ;)

I do wish i could have an iPhone but not have to pay such exorbitant monthly fees for service :( In the meantime a cell phone that plays MP3s for me is working just fine :D

Edited by Guest

so' date=' you are a luddite then velvet? for every ipad or calculator, there is an MRI or brighter brakelight. you sound old, man. :P [/quote']

Yes, I'm a luddite and yes, I'm old.

For every ipad or calculator, there's a pile of manpower that went towards something useless instead of something useful.

iDad.

copyright Schwa.inc.

The biggest problem with the device is how closed it is.

It tells you what formats you can play, what size video you can play on another device, what applications you can you, and to a certain extent how you can use them.

The biggest fault here is that as a physical device it is great, a ten inch vibrant touch screen with multi hand gesture support. This device could theoretically have many many many many many uses to musicians, scientists, etc... but unfortunately on the closed platform you just can't do it.

This device could have been very very useful to me, but unfortunately it has been severely crippled for the sake of driving profit, and to make it a more simplified platform.

You are basically paying 500 bucks for a giant iphone that you are being told how to use... you are essentially paying $500 to continue to pay more to use software that will most likely only accomplish a fraction of what you need it to, and you will have minimal say on the development of these applications as they are developed in a closed environment.

This is a far cry from the open platform that made apple what it is today, and it is depressing only in what it could be.

You can't even plug in usb without buying a DONGLE!

There is speculation that hackers will be able to figure something out... but here in lies the problem... nothing worse than thinking "hmmm, I could hack this device to do what I need it to do" the second it comes out

Apple really missed the mark on this one... and unfortunately if the device pans out we may never see an open platform device that is similar

They are gong to have sell alot of those to pay for the lawyers! :

Mulling whether to fight Apple on iPad

Fujitsu PR head Masahiro Yamane today said his company doesn't believe Apple has the rights to the iPad trademark. The director noted that the Japanese company applied for an iPad trademark in 2003 and that its current business PDA fits the mobile communicator description Apple would likely have to use. Fujitsu lost its trademark this spring but still believes it can lay claim to the name through its earlier development.

"It’s our understanding that the name is ours," Yamane told the New York Times.

He added that Fujitsu is consulting its lawyers over what it can do, although it may not actually have much legal basis without the trademark. It re-applied for the trademark in June but has already been contested by Apple at the US Patent and Trademark Office; it also couldn't claim prior use as another company, Mag-Tech, had already applied on its own. Apple has until the end of February to file its formal objection to Fujitsu's trademark.

Launched in 2002, the Fujitsu iPAD is a Windows CE-based handheld designed for warehouse workers and in its current form has a 3.5-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Apple's device superficially has similar features, although its much larger size, lack of a number pad, entertainment focus and much lower $499 price (versus $2,000) target a different audience.

Just as you were one of the first people I thought of when I posted, you prove my point through attempted sarcasm.

How many artists are releasing vinyl nowadays? Everyone? Not even close. Sure, some people are releasing on vinyl now, but not many, and usually only acts that are proven successful. Seriously, if I only listened to music on a turntable do you not agree that there would be a lot of music unavailable to me?

And anyone who has seen you in a social situation in the last year or so knows you love your iphone. I used to love head-to-head football.

The point I was attempting to make for you was there was definitely a point in time most people thought vinyl was dead and at this moment it's definitely experiencing a resurgence. Will everything you want to listen to be released on vinyl? No, but I'm pretty surprised by how much I want to listen to is.

I will add that it's because of useless garbage like this that I will one day not be able to buy and read a book, and I like books.

I was just going by your own pathetically over blown, exaggerated statement (judging by your music reviews I'll just have to accept that this is now your "style") and pointed out a perfect example of why this will not be the case. You will be a able to buy a book in the future.......gramps.

Head-to-head football was unbelievable.

I do wish i could have an iPhone but not have to pay such exorbitant monthly fees for service :( In the meantime a cell phone that plays MP3s for me is working just fine :D

So don't. Buy one off ebay, they're getting cheaper by the minute and jailbreak then unlock. If you can hack your Wii you can handle the iPhone.

The "vinyl to CD" comparison is incorrect, please change your amusing banter to a "digital vs. physical" format please and thank you.

They're both valid. Now go back to drinking rum and eating lobsters.