Jambands.ca

The new iPad

Kanada Kev

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don' think the technology is to blame for stifled creativity to be honest, it's those who use new technology and don't bother to explore or learn what it can fully do, this includes those who put it down without ever knowing the full capabilities of something new.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets his Dad a 'wizard' organizer, and he thinks it's just a tip calculator.

But - when somebody has to use a calculator to figure out 15 per cent of a $20 restaurant bill' date=' well that's just wrong. [/quote']

doing a math operation on a device built to do math operations is wrong?

calculator.jpg

Using an elevator to go up one stair is wrong, yes, and if people did it every time they would eventually lose the ability to go up stairs.

"That'll be $1.98 sir, from a $10, that's $8.02 change."

"I gave you a $20."

"Oh yes, you did. I'm sorry sir, I'll have to get the manager to void the transaction so I can ring it in again and find out how much change you should be getting."

Situations like that happen all the time.

I do wish i could have an iPhone but not have to pay such exorbitant monthly fees for service :( In the meantime a cell phone that plays MP3s for me is working just fine :D

So don't. Buy one off ebay' date=' they're getting cheaper by the minute and jailbreak then unlock. If you can hack your Wii you can handle the iPhone.[/quote']

Really? iMight just be interested. How well to 'used' iPhones hold up? Know anyone who can jailbreak one for me? How does that work with an existing account with a cell carrier for data plans, or does it make sense just to have it pick up in wifi spots?

Going to eBay for fun now :) Thanks.

Using an elevator to go up one stair is wrong, yes, and if people did it every time they would eventually lose the ability to go up stairs.

"I gave you a $20."

"Oh yes, you did. I'm sorry sir, I'll have to get the manager to void the transaction so I can ring it in again and find out how much change you should be getting."

Situations like that happen all the time.

You're on a roll today. Sigh, no, if everyone took the the elevator all the time we wouldn't lose the ability to go up stairs. Not unless we flattened the entire planet and even then, no, we wouldn't.

Your above example regarding the change isn't a mental math error, they did actually perform the correct calculation for the figures they had, they just weren't paying attention, with or without too much reliance on calcalators they would have blown it....I think humans have been spacing on shit since the beginnnig of time.

Using an elevator to go up one stair is wrong' date=' yes, and if people did it every time they would eventually lose the ability to go up stairs.

"I gave you a $20."

Situations like that happen all the time.[/quote']

You're on a roll today. Sigh, no, if everyone took the the elevator all the time we wouldn't lose the ability to go up stairs. Not unless we flattened the entire planet and even then, no, we wouldn't.

Your above example regarding the change isn't a mental math error, they did actually perform the correct calculation for the figures they had, they just weren't paying attention, with or without too much reliance on calcalators they would have blown it....I think humans have been spacing on shit since the beginnnig of time.

Sigh. Yes, they would. How's that for using your logic against you!

My second example was to illustrate that even the simplest of calculations ("If have gave me a $10 I'd owe him $8.02, if he gave me a $20 I'd owe him...") are beyond many people in the service industry because they are never, ever left to do even the simplest of mathematical equations on their own.

I'm surprised you missed that.

Really? iMight just be interested. How well to 'used' iPhones hold up? Know anyone who can jailbreak one for me? How does that work with an existing account with a cell carrier for data plans, or does it make sense just to have it pick up in wifi spots?

Going to eBay for fun now :) Thanks.

You'll have no problems jailbreaking it yourself. A monkey could do it.

Carrier is more the issue, if you're Rogers or Fido then get a GSM iPhone. You'll have it jailbroken in about three mouse clicks.

The bottom has dropped on the 16gig 3g now that the 3gs is out. I bought mine used over a year ago and it's going strong (though battery life on the iPhone isn't amazing if you're constantly screwing around on it but that's to be expected, you're running a pretty decent screen).

If you're on Bell I'm assuming you can get a Bell iPhone these days though there are probably less of them and they won't be as cheap because they're newer. I really don't know much about them but I'm sure someone on here may. At one point I heard something about Bell going GSM but I could be wrong.

And I wouldn't call it a mental math error, in this case it would be a mental math inability, and they did not perform the correct calculation, any more than you kicked field goals on your head-to-head football, they merely tried to get a machine to perform a function.