Jambands.ca

Where to buy a laptop?

Velvet

Hey all,

I think I'm gonna try buying a laptop in the next week or so. I'll be looking for something a bit upscale, not just the cheapest best thing going.

Where is the best place to shop for a laptop? Is Future Shop the place or the place to avoid? Any recommendations at all will be appreciated.

By the way, I'll mostly use it for surfing and writing, but I think I might also get some recording software, so if any of you want to recommend an actual machine to look for, that would be cool too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The computer at work is an Apple and I just can't bring myself to like it so I suspect I will stay away from Apple. If enough people tell me that Apple is exactly what I'm looking for I'm willing to change my view on that.

Not wanting this thread to devolve into a religious war or anything, but for what it is worth: I have always been a PC kinda guy - I like that I can work on their internals, build them up from scratch, etc.., etc.. but as far as laptops go I've been through a few and my Macbook Pro was probably my single best purchase ever. For myself, I don't think I'd ever contemplate buying any other laptop anymore.

In fact, my (PC) desktop machine rarely even gets turned on these days. Bouche's advice to try a demo machine is good. You might fall in love with it, or you might feel 'meh' - but particularly in that you aren't a technophile, you seem like a really good fit for a macbook. Stuff just works out of the box, you don't have to mess around with much at all, and you inherit a lot of security (I think you were having issues with viruses / spyware and such with your last machine?)

The computer at work is an Apple and I just can't bring myself to like it so I suspect I will stay away from Apple. If enough people tell me that Apple is exactly what I'm looking for I'm willing to change my view on that.

I'm curious about what's keeping you from bringing yourself to like the computer.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Meh. I've had a MacBook Pro in the house for the past 6 months and while it's definitely cool for software like iMovie and GarageBand, I find myself turning to the old PC when I need to "get stuff done".

Mac's are great Velvet but don't let anyone convince you that you need one.

You'll probably get the best price at a place like Future Shop or Best Buy because they price match but don't trust a word the sales drone says. Same goes for the in-house Apple guy. They're all sales people at the end of the day. I'd also advise strongly against getting the extended warranty.

I sell laptops all makes and models. give me a price range and i'll recommend a few models.

do not waste your money on dells or toshiba. i fix them all day long.

Crap, I wish I had talked to you before buying my Dell. It's been crapping out on me fairly consistenlty since I got it in September. It's brand freaking new!!

I sell laptops all makes and models. give me a price range and i'll recommend a few models.

do not waste your money on dells or toshiba. i fix them all day long.

Let's say between $1000-1400 with a focus on using it as a music studio. What do you suggest?

with that budget, I wouldn't feel weird suggesting a macbook pro.

The software that you would need to pay for on a PC would be offset by garageband. Can O Phish would probably have direct answers regarding usability as a portable recording studio, what you'd need to get, etc. As for writing, you can use any computer you want now. Anything that can connect to Google Docs, rocks.

You can buy anywhere-just look around online first to compare prices and review components etc.

I usually go to pc cyber http://pccyber.com to get my stuff because they`re close and have pretty good prices....not sure they have particularly great prices on laptops but they`re not bad either....I bought mine there though.

Bought my daughter`s at Best Buy-as long as you know what you're getting and the relative price it doesn't really matter where you are-unless you just don't want to support a certain store....

It also depends what you want ie lots of them have pretty decent video cards if you want 3d graphics etc-some radeon dx11 cards out there etc....