Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was all over Facebook when I posted it- but I did notice it is not on the BFest site yet.

Makes me wonder if it isn't one of the Market shows?

you could be right, but they listed it as bluesfest on their site. market shows aren't billed as bluesfest shows...are they?

They'd be contracted by Bluesfest; venue, name of event etc might not yet be known or ready to be made public. So it could all change once the lineup/branding for the Market shows is released.

Yep, the $2 mill Marquee Grant money.....

Folk Fest got 0.

Jazz Fest got 0.

And the rich get richer. FACK!

In other news the Folk Fest will announce its lineup at 10am today and then have its little tiny bit o thunder stolen by Big Mark and his Stogies.

I keep forgetting if you're excited to be working the Market Stage or if you're mad at Bluesfest.

In other news, I'm sad to see that it looks like Stevie Wonder will be in Europe during Bluesfest - I thought he would be perfect downtown.

I'm not "mad" at Bluesfest, I just don't like their tactics sometimes.

They could have announced these Market shows at another time, instead of one hour after the Folk Fest lineup.

The rest of the post is just expressing exasperation with the Govt who gave one fuckload of a lot of money to an organization that does not NEED it (you could hold three FULL folk fests for $2 mill).

I can't figure out if Bluesfest is mad at Folk Fest. They seemed to play nicely last year....

And finally I am excited to have been asked- but whether or not I want to work long hours after my regular job for minimal pay- all to make contacts- has not yet been decided.

Edited by Guest
Removed Prov from Govt

The Whigs have been added to the Subway stage on Saturday July 17 for 6:15. I don't believe this was part of the original announcement

The whigs were in the original press release but pulled just before publication ban was lifted

It's a federal grant as far as I know.

And for all we know bluesfest could have had their press announcements planned just as far in advance as folk fest.

Two great festivals.

The govt can waste its money however it chooses- and I can bitch about it as long as I vote and pay my taxes.

Yes they could very well have had these two releases planned for the same time for a long while, but its just seems dirty no matter how it transpired. Who do you think will get the headlines tomorrow?

The bluesfest may 11 date was announced a while ago, can't find where I posted it but it was probably on the same day as the press release. So either bluesfest knew they were getting the marquee money back then, or they planned out the byward artists and schedule regardless. Both may be true, but the latter has got to be true.

Updated: Tue May. 11 2010 12:56:43 PM

ctvottawa.ca

Several Ottawa festivals are unhappy about losing their federal funding, while Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest received a $500,000 increase.

Industry Canada announced Tuesday it will give Bluesfest $2 million this year.

Bluesfest executive director Mark Monahan says the funding will be used for a specific purpose.

"The funding will go to our free programming in the Market," says Monahan. "It will go to an international marketing campaign and improve our festival."

Some of the festivals that lost funding include Ottawa's Jazz Festival and Chamberfest.

Monahan says the decreased funding for other festivals could mean there's a need for more federal funding in the capital.

Can the other festivals show these numbers?

FACT SHEET

Impact of 2009 Industry Canada Marquee Tourism Event Program

· With the assistance of Industry Canada’s Marquee Tourism Event Program, Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest’s attendance at the LeBreton Flats Park site grew to 339,141 including 44,699 tourists.

· The new Bluesfest Byward attracted 55,903 attendees, of which 8,704 tourists.

· Establishment of free community programming in the Ottawa Byward Market had tremendous benefits to the Byward Market BIA and its business members.

· The 2009 Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest combined overall attendance of 395,044 was responsible for visitor expenditures of over $65 million.

· Almost 62% of tourists attending reported they would not have come to Ottawa except to attend Bluesfest, and another 18% said Ottawa Bluesfest influenced their decision to come to Ottawa.

· Bluesfest 2009 supported an equivalent 152 full time jobs in Ottawa and a total 163 full time jobs in Ontario.

· Total taxes to all three levels of government attributable to the 2009 Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest were over $4.5 million.