Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

Hey, fuck you separate ticket events. I already paid for a full festival passport.

Bluesfest is adding comedy to its musical mix, with a nightly blast of humour from Wayne Brady, Louis C.K. and others.

Comics will take over the “Black Sheep music and comedy tent†at 7:30 p.m. daily, and the shows will be open to anyone with a festival pass. There will also be “high-profile†comics on the stage at 9:30 p.m., including Brady on July 6, Louis C.K. on July 9 and a third “high-profile†comic yet to be named on July 17. The 9:30 shows require a separate ticket, which are now available at $39.55 and $56.50. All seats are reserved.

Not like Wayne Brady is going to even slightly tempt me away from Iron Maiden or Kelp.

What's the deal with the 'Black Sheep Stage & Comedy Tent' location? They're gonna put an 800-seat big-top back there, in addition to the stage? WTF. What are you doing, Bluesfest?

The comedy shows will be in a new, 10,000-square-foot Blacksheep tent, which seats 800 people and will be on the traditional Blacksheep stage site on the north side of the Canadian War Museum.

I emailed Peter Simpson from the Citizen to see if he had more answers.

500px_Map%20ENGLISH_june3.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when do people go to a concert to see comedy? Whats next a ping pong exhibition and some zip line adventure?

I get it at Bonnaroo where you are there for four full days- but not here.

They are watering this shit down yo and pretty soon its going to taste more like M39 than some nice White Rhino....

Interesting mixed metaphor.

I think the comedy thing is a great idea. Doesn't everybody kinda like comedy? I think adding more variety is a great way to grow the festival. I hope they announce somebody major.

By the way, the zip line over Robson Street at the Olympics was about the most popular thing going.

No problem with comedy. Problem with paying more. Problem with them messing with the Black Sheep Stage. Where is the stage? It's not on the map. Just want sone answers. I'll email Bluesfest to ask when I get a chance.

So there's no overlap between the comedy and music then? It's just one stage that they share in a tent? I don't want to see bands in a tent. So much for breezes, sun, views, etc. Hello stifling heat. Not to mention other stages being more crowded when the comedy is on.

Brutal play, Bluesfest.

(if I'm wrong in my assumptions let me know..)

If you are drawing that from my post- I have no idea what the setup will be. From the 'map' you posted I envision the comedy tent being on that concrete pad area where the crowd stood at the Black Sheep Stage; and the actual stage being placed closer to the river where there was always that unused space (except for the tokers and beer mules) facing to the south.

I think if you bought a full two week pass that should get you full access to these "extras". Buy one week- get access to one event. Everyone else pays the extra fees on a daily basis. Drive the sales of your full passes and ingratitate your hardcore supporters....

On the map there's no Black Sheep Stage. And it's hard to read on my phone but it appears the programming in te tent and on the stage don't overlap which leads me to believe that the music stage and the comedy stage are one and the same. I hope I'm wrong on that - hard to tell from my phone since the programming is listed separately.

Agreed on your second paragraph Sean.

so much for fresh air, sunshine, lounging on the grass, views, etc. hello stale air, heat, cramped conditions, musicians opening for comics, crowded other stages. i think it's a really bad decision made by bluesfest.

I don't see the need for comedians at the Bluesfest. There's plenty of comedy already, and it's all free:

- Whitey getting patted down by security guards

- the ongoing battle with the lawn chair people

- arguments with Lawrence "Don't call me Larry" Gowan

- adults freaking out because they're asked to produce ID to purchase a beer

- Eugene's annual "these bands used to play Zaphods" tirade

- noise complaints

- " isn't blues!"

Edited by Guest
thought of a few more

Black Sheep stage is tent'd? Hopefully you can still lounge on the hill and watch the band.

doubt it (how would they make sure everyone had paid to see the comics short of cordoning off the whole area?), but I emailed them again to ask.

Is the tent going to be fully enclosed, or will the stage inside still be viewable from the grassy hills that are ideal for lounging?
I don’t know the details of that, whether or not the tent will be closed off at the sides or not. Rows of chairs and bleechers will be provided inside the tent.