Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Armstrong has a documented history of made-up-stuff, while as far as I know this other person doesn't and is just refuting a rumour, not starting a new one.

I'd bet that if her on air transcripts were printed for us all to see each day- jambands would tear her a new one much like DA. I don't think Sun Media is a bastion of integrity- but I don't think Chez 106 gets picked up by Reuters yet either. Your use of the word 'documented' nailed it.

As for speaking with one of the organizers.... I did too: He says its going to be a good year.

“You see us together, chasing the moonlight,†wrote Neil Young in Cinnamon Girl, but you won’t be chasing the moon with the godfather of grunge at Bluesfest. No Pearl Jam, either. At least not this year.

Another Ottawa newspaper reported Friday that Bluesfest would announce this week that Young and Pearl Jam are on for the 2010 festival, which starts July 6 on Lebreton Flats and later in the Byward Market. The dates were being added to boost lagging ticket sales, said the news report, quoting unnamed sources.

Bluesfest director Mark Monahan says it’s all untrue. “I’m not sure where the information would have come from,†Monahan said in an interview Tuesday. “They’re definitely not playing the blues festival. We’d love to have them, but it won’t happen this year."

So there’s no chance of either Young or Pearl Jam being added to the list for this year’s festival?

“Certainly they’d be on my list for future years, but it’s definitely not happening this year.â€

As for ticket sales, Monahan says they’re strong.

“Our sales are up between 30 and 40 per cent over last year, by the number of tickets that have been sold, basically comparing for the first month this year and the first month last year. We’re extremely happy with how the sales are.â€

He said there will be more announcements in the next few weeks, regarding acts at both the main site in the Byward Market expansion. He also confirmed that the Byward stage will move slightly east on York Street, a little further away from Sussex Drive than it was last summer.

What an awful reporter this guy is. Pass the buck...

It seems that the source close to Bluesfest’s brain trust who told me that Neil Young is absolutely, positively coming to Bluesfest in July, (and certainly in a position to know), last week is now admitting that he was wrong, wasn’t sure and might have been misquoted. What rot! We ran an item simply because it appeared to be inside information from a credible source. Or so I thought. So, my sincere apologies to Bluesfest and all the readers who wrote in after reading the blog and brief in the May 22 paper. What appeared to be a ’sure thing’ turned out to be a red herring. Think the politics on Parliament Hill is a blood sport? You should see what goes on behind the scenes at some of these festivals!

More from this hack

Last Saturday, I announced that Bluesfest had signed Neil Young to play the festival, and were close to signing Pearl Jam. By Monday, festival organizers denied the rumour completely. Not surprisingly, I’ve received a fair amount of mail, much of it angry and frustrated by, what readers regard as the sorry state of journalism in the internet age of instant, if erroneous, communications.

And to be frank, I don’t blame them. Yes, there is pressure to scoop the competition, but that wasn’t the case here. But the truth is that I was merely reporting on information I received from a highly-placed source at the festival who gave a detailed account of the deal to get Young. I felt confident that the news was genuine. After all, this guy could tell you weeks ago who was coming, who was in the works and how much the talent costs. This was not a flippant blog entry. We did our due diligence, at least as far as we could, and rightly reported that someone close to the festival claimed that Bluesfest will soon announce that Neil Young is coming to the festival. Heard it all before? Probably.

A couple months ago, a senior editor at CanWest reported on his blog that Gordon Lightfoot was dead. He too thought his source was reliable, and that he was sitting on a big story that readers would be anxious to hear.

Like that editor, I was duped, misled by an insider with an agenda. My apologies to readers and fans of Bluesfest.

PS..I’ve tried to answer as many writers personally as possible.

But the truth is that I was merely reporting on information I received from a highly-placed source at the festival who gave a detailed account of the deal to get Young. I felt confident that the news was genuine. After all, this guy could tell you weeks ago who was coming, who was in the works and how much the talent costs.

then why were there so many other wrong rumours if he cvould have just confirmed with this guy?

Sounds like Denis was double-crossed! I actually appreciate his apology. He had to respond somehow, what did you want him to do?

Accept a smidge of responsibility?

This mudslinging against the "the CanWest editor" who broke the Lightfoot fake news is very bad decorum. Its an unwritten rule in the industry that you don't bad mouth the other guy. Hell isn't that an unwritten rule in almost everything except sports and religion?

CanWest for those that don't know, owns the Ottawa Citizen (for now) and is one of a triumvirate of media conglomerates in Canada who operate daily newspapers (I leave the Irvings in New Brunswick out of this- because they are not involved outside of that province). The others are SunMedia (duh) and the TorStar/ Metroland group.

We all thought his info was bad before? Now that he has publicly trashed a 'source'- how many other sources do you think dropped him from their twitter feeds, speed dials and recent memory yesterday? He just stonewalled himself.

And not just with his sources- but in the promoter/ agent arena, who in their right mind would share any of their knowledge with him after this incident? No one wants to be the next Fleminski.

If he was duped as you suggest he may have been Ollie- I actually wonder if it might have been a setup? You know like feed big info to a couple of outlets and see who runs with it. They'd find out who they could trust pretty quickly that way.

Accept a smidge of responsibility?

He did that by apologizing. What else should he have done to demonstrate that he accepted responsibility?

Isn't he basically saying, "I trusted a source I shouldn't have. My bad, sorry." ??

Outside of ignoring the whole thing I don't see how he else he could have responded.

he did not just apologize. in those paragraphs he wrote, there are a few words of apology and the entire rest of it is blaming other people.

I was responding to NW who said "Accept a smidge of responsibility?" Emphasis on smidge.

Can't believe I'm defending Denis Armstrong!