Jambands.ca

Legal Advice (re: retail discrimination)

zero

Wait what's your guys take on eating there in the meantime when he's not working. I mean doesn't someone in a capacity to make that distinction have to actually have a conversation with you ie. you paid in pennies that one time sorry can't serve you. I'd be interested to just stand my ground peacefully and ask for them not to serve me and here the rationale. From my friends they'd be choked and a bit awkward.

I already wrote a beautiful letter to the owner that acknowledges my shortcomings but how it was an unacceptable situation on the gentleman's behalf.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything to back it up but I understand that any business is obliged to take any amount of change for goods up to $20 (in change), hence the $50/100 bill issue in stores.

If they don't have a sign posted, they can't refuse to sell you the goods.

If you're not in a hurry, just don't leave and don't let them serve anyone until they take your money

...or make sure you have the item and just leave the change.

the 'we don't take change' thing is entirely weak.

I'm not a violent person but not serving me because i'd paid with pennies the week earlier would certainly make me consider throwing that kid through a plate glass window and dragging him through it into the street.

Wikipedia is pretty good at this kind of thing.

Canadian dollar banknotes issued by the Bank of Canada are legal tender in Canada. However, commercial transactions may legally be settled in any manner agreed by the parties involved.

Legal tender of Canadian coinage is governed by the Currency Act which sets out limits of:

$40 if the denomination is $2 or greater but does not exceed $10;

$25 if the denomination is $1;

$10 if the denomination is 10¢ or greater but less than $1;

$5 if the denomination is 5¢;

25¢ if the denomination is 1¢.

Retailers in Canada may refuse bank notes without breaking the law. According to legal guidelines, the method of payment has to be mutually agreed upon by the parties involved with the transactions. For example, convenience stores may refuse $100 bank notes if they feel that would put them at risk of being counterfeit victims; however, official policy suggests that the retailers should evaluate the impact of that approach. In the case that no mutually acceptable form of payment can be found for the tender, the parties involved should seek legal advice.

I'll give you that one Velvet as much as it comes off as mockery. Whatever to the grow the fuck up.

I'm not a violent person but not serving me because i'd paid with pennies the week earlier would certainly make me consider throwing that kid through a plate glass window and dragging him through it into the street.

Great advice Dave...sniff...sniff...

In fairness I just go to The Common now all the time which has insance coffee and is a really comfortable communal place and yes Jason Collett and his baby had coffee there this morning. Hawksley Workman's producer and I shared a butt. But hey that's my neighborhood and your life.

...And I don't need a big black friend to back me up. Here's the reality - anyone - especially if you thought you were friends that treats someone like that whether serving in a restaurant or otherwise is going to get called on it. Being non-violent and concious (through alot of mental health training on De-Escalating Conflict and Defusing Hostility - I know irony) of not wanting to be rude or upset the customers I left and wrote a polite letter.

Basically it's cool to stop frequenting them as a resto - their staff is pompous, their customers are boring and any place you're made to feel unwelcome you should leave- I just want it in writing as to the rationale. That's what they likely won't do.

Think about it- if I wanted resolution and felt I was harassed - do I really want to go to some place I don't work and basically get some managerial lecture (when I'm not being paid) about why I'm not welcome in their restaurant?

No I want them - a big successful chain of restaurants- to have to put in paper what their rationale is.

Or Ray Ray and I can go in our New Era caps and sit on the patio until someone (highly unlikely) suggests they won's serve me. And I'll say something like, while Ray Ray lowers his Versace glasses, 'is this about me paying with the pennies the one time, or cause I'm not cool enough, or is it because both Ray Ray and I are convicted felons.

Now that would be hilarious.