Jambands.ca

The Tanking Concert Industry

Northern Wish

From cancelled tours, to 2 for 1 or $10 ticket deals- the Summer of 2010 might prove to be a wicked time for us cheap or just frugal concert goers (that is IF the events take place). I see the future happening now- concert ticket prices come back to earth, fans refuse to pay $5000 for a meet and greet, half of the oversaturated festival market goes away, resellers have no market to markup prices etc.

If you read Lefsetz you are well aware that over 200 concerts in the LA area have been cancelled due to lack of ticket sales over the past month or so.

Now it seems that Canada is affected also:

Calgary Jazz Festival Cancelled Due to Impossibility of Financial Success

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=144&csid2=844&fid1=47447&utm_source=facebookpage&utm_medium=fbplink&utm_campaign=fbpwall

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a clue about the size of their budget etc. I would still offer that they likely get 2x or 3x that much grant money.

Ad revenues are surprisingly low because you get into a bunch of sponsorship deals that don't always see cash coming back to the fest, but rather goods or services.

im just basing my estimate on a $50K Canada heritage grant and $43K from the city and assuming there was more. googling it, it seems this festival has been in financial trouble for years so no real shock here.

in the bigger picture, there was an article in this months rolling stone about tanked tours this summer. and here it thot ticketbastard merging with livenazi would save the industry.

could of fooled me. i'm spending more on concerts than ever. ticket prices just seem to continue to climb. on average its like 100/per ticket then you buy a shirt thats another 40 and a few beers at 7-10 per beer you're spending 200 per person on average. then you have the crazy expensive shows like roger waters or eric clapton.

I don't think that the industry is tanking exactly, it's that in the world of supertours, they keep uping the ticket price without the artist having anything new to promote. Who really needs to see Poison, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Triumph on tour again?

It's interesting that The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic and Phish often get referenced in Lefsetz newsletters. They are always heralded for their ability to draw and how hard they work to please their fans, from a cheaper ticket point of view, long show, funny zany or one of a kind moment that happens at each show that keeps the fans coming back.

The top tier stuff surely is the most affected and rightfully so. There was a great breakdown I saw about seeing concerts in the 60's and early 70's how the cost of a show was about equal to that of a movie. Once the Eagles hit the $100 plateau in 1994 the whole game changed- hell I only paid $54.50 (including a $6.00 fee) to see The Stones that summer.

On Lefsetz you see stuff like this all of the time:

Just talked my son (Dave Schools - Widespread Panic) who mentioned they were "Sold Out" for three nites at Red Rocks.

When I asked him why he thought WP was selling out so many shows when other more "prestigious" acts were virtually giving tickets away his response was...."We didn't build our fan base on sand. WP always cared about it's audience and has gone out of it's way to protect the folks from gouging of any kind. A good show for a fair price. That's all we expect from promoters and venues."

In light of your last few posts, I thought perhaps you may be interested in knowing these facts. (If you didn't know them already)

Best Always....

John Rhys

The concert industry is tanking to some extent. Look at it as trimming the fat. People have less monety to spend and therfore have to pick thier spots and can only afford so many $100+ tickets.

Having said that concert ticket prices for major headlining acts are never coming backdown.

Given the fact that no one really makes money off selling albums anymore the live show/merch sales combo is the last real revenue stream artists have. This is why concerts are now regularly $100+

Even if I had a million dollars I wouldn't pay insane concert ticket prices. I'd love to see Tom Petty but there's no way I would drop that amount of money on seeing him.

I think it's completely ignorant of these nostalgic artists/bands to charge a shitload of money to see them. What is the younger generation supposed to do? They're just discovering this bands or artists music and they'll likely never get to see them live unless their parents are rich or they wanna save up every dime they've earned in the last 6 months working at a shitty job just to see some faded memory of what was once a great live act.

Most of these acts that charge over $200 a ticket have MADE their money off album sales. I'm not going to feel sorry for them because now kids can download their albums with ease. Some artists are intelligent enough to move along with the times too. Look at Neil Young putting out live stuff on vinyl.