Jambands.ca

NFL 2010

Schwa.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, thats some fine pickin there Hal!

Thanks man. Admittedly, I don't know as much about football as I do about baseball or hockey, but I do know that the odds are in the publics favor during the first couple weeks of the season. Picked a Philly-Det tie, a few favorites to lose, and Stlouis to beat Oakland. Man, it was crazy to watch the games unfold. I think Det needed a two point conversion to make it a tie, or something like that, and they did it. It was almost epic. Almost.

Ah well.

I like this article (I bolded a couple paragraphs):

Good, James Harrison. Please do retire. Make good on your threats and go drive a truck like your father did. And if you have as many head-ons in that job as you do in this one, heaven help you.

Harrison, the Pittsburgh Steelers hired headhunter, is talking about quitting after being fined $75,000 for using his helmet to knock not just one Cleveland Brown out of the game, but two, then issued words that were even uglier than his deeds:

"I don't want to see anyone injured," Harrison said, "but I'm not opposed to hurting anyone."

I'm sorry?

"There's a difference. When you're injured, you can't play. But when you're hurt, you can shake it off and come back, maybe a few plays later or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Harrison does more than try. He purposely lowered his head into two Browns wide receivers -- Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi -- sending them off to the "How many fingers am I holding up?" guy. Both men went for tests Monday, and it was uncertain whether either will play anytime soon.

No problem, says Dr. Feelbad.

"A hit like that geeks you up," Harrison said. "It geeks everybody up -- especially when you find out that the guy is not really hurt -- he's just sleeping. He's knocked out, but he's going to be OK."

It didn't geek Patti Drake up. She was a kind of surrogate mom for Cribbs at Kent State, where he was, believe it or not, a teammate of Harrison's.

"It sickened me," she says.

If we can have a rule that a player who suffers a concussion can't go in for the rest of the game, why can't we have the same rule for players who hand them out?

You know what would geek me up? Harrison out of the game. Because as much as I abhor the way he plays, I don't want the day to come, 10 years from now, when he starts suffering depression and slurred speech and all the other goodies that come with these massive crashes. Because no amount of sleeping is going to make everything OK then.

God knows how Harrison would've reacted if the NFL had done what it should've, which is to bench him for two games, one for each player he appeared to try to decapitate. If we can have a rule that a player who suffers a concussion can't go in for the rest of the game, why can't we have the same rule for players who hand them out?

The second to be suspended should be the refs in that Steelers-Browns game. Neither of Harrison's hits was flagged, even though both were purposely helmet-to-helmet and the second one, the assault on Massaquoi, was the blatant lighting up of a defenseless player. If the refs had flagged the first, we might not have had to watch the second.

And what does all this say about us? The Romans used to pack the Colosseum to watch barbarism and cruelty, a spectacle that dehumanized the fans as well as the combatants. Are we starting to become those fans?

New England's Brandon Meriweather head-butted Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap in a shot so cheap and disgusting that you wanted to switch over to baseball.

Atlanta cornerback Dunta Robinson human-missiled Philly wide receiver DeSean Jackson so hard that both men were left concussed and sprawled out on the field as if they'd been leveled by a daisy cutter.

By the way, if you're counting, that's five Eagles who've been concussed this season. Hey, who wants to make the season two games longer?

All in all, seven players left games Sunday with brain injuries. It was the kind of Sunday that makes you wonder what kind of person you are for sitting there watching.

Watching men turn other men's cerebellums into oatmeal is starting to bring up the bile. We now know what these collisions can mean later in life. We know because the NFL is telling us. We know because we heard about what the battered brains of Hall of Famer Mike Webster and Terry Long looked like. Oh, yeah, they were Steelers, too, weren't they?

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended Harrison, saying he's a "model" for young players to imitate. Oh, yeah, he's a peach. Fined $5,000 for slamming Vince Young into the ground. Fined $5,000 for unnecessary brutality against a Cincinnati Bengal. Had to go to anger management and undergo psychiatric counseling after being charged with assault on his girlfriend. Owned a pit bull that bit his son, the boy's mom and his masseuse. When's he running for Congress?

Helmet-to-helmet hits involve two helmets. But when somebody asked Harrison whether he was worried about the long-term effects on his own brain, he scoffed. "That's the risk you take," he said.

An answer that begs the question: What brain?

Edited by Guest

Me'Angelo Hall with 4 picks in the 2nd half, one for a TD.....after sucking for about 3 games in a row, great stuff. Sure they all came off Cutler but still.

4-3, I'm surprised.

edit: Jesus Christ, the Bills managed to find yet another heart breaking way to lose. You've got to feel a bit of sympathy for those fans.

What a great day of football..... I loved that bewildered look in Favres eyes after INT #3. I also loved hitting pro line ties up and down the board for a total of $175 on a $2 bet. I loved McFadden piling up 40+ fantasy points for my team and helping me lead the week.

I did not however love the ending to the Bills game. If NFL games ended at halftime we'd be 3-3 I reckon. Brutal mistakes cost us another one.

Edited by Guest

Jesus Christ, the Bills managed to find yet another heart breaking way to lose. You've got to feel a bit of sympathy for those fans.

What's wrong with you?

WTFRaiders?

The Donkeys looked Sens2010 horrible. Total domination in all aspects of the game that I watched. McFadden looked like his original pre-pro career billing and much much more.

Redskins didn't win, Chicago LOST. HARD. Tough to watch here at the PEI chapter of Bears Central.

Damn was super busy at work today and couldnt get it going today but..........

I've got to disagree entirely with that.

The Skins got picked off twice and fumbled six times (yes they gobbled most of them back up), the Bears got picked four times and fumbled twice. Both teams threw pick six's. Don't tell me the Bears LOST that game and the Skins didn't win, both teams were a disaster and did their best to shit the silk sheets but you've got that Bears' fanboy buddy of yours' dick too far up your ass if you can't acknowledge that some of those picks by Me'Angelo were fucking ridiculous, one of them was one handed (the pick six I think).

Redskins won that ShitBowl straight up and deservedly. McNabb was vet enough to throw it out of bounds when it counted as opposed to Cutler (sadly that's all he really had going after the first quarter) and Torain ran for 125 yards (6.0avg) to the Bears total 66 yards on the ground. Brutal game but the Skins grinded it out and burned clock, give them some credit.

Jesus Christ' date=' the Bills managed to find yet another heart breaking way to lose. You've got to feel a bit of sympathy for those fans. [/quote']

What's wrong with you?

Uuuuh yeah, I was stunned by the lose, sorry about that.

The Donkeys looked Sens2010 horrible.

Yikes, that's pretty bad.

edit: Manningham just embarassed that Cowboy, great juke.

Jesus Christ! You backed up my points that it was a horrible fucking game, with the way the Bears team played, even the Bills would have won by 30. The one handed pick six was nice indeed, but Cutler should have tied a bow on the others. I laughed my ass off when I read this:

"It's kind of mind blowing," he said. "I had my mom, my aunt, and my two cousins in the stands. The first ball went to my mom, the second ball went to my aunt and the next thing you knew everybody had a ball."

Another heartbreaker.

I'd rather we just got blown out in every game than this roller coaster ride we've been on.....

Don't say that! No one would even be watching the fucking Bills games if that was the case. We watched quite a bit of the second half of that game and found it quite entertaining.