Jambands.ca

Ontario plans to loosen liquor laws at festivals

DevO

Ontario plans to loosen liquor laws at festivals

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/ontario-plans-to-loosen-liquor-laws-at-festivals/article1917148/

The Ontario government wants to relax liquor laws at festivals and allow all-inclusive vacation packages to be sold in the province.

The proposed changes, announced Wednesday, would eliminate the need for beer tents at events.

“Our plan is to get rid of outdated restrictions that just don’t make sense to Ontario families today. Having a beer in your hand shouldn’t stop you from walking around a local festival,†Attorney-General Chris Bentley said in the release.

The new rules would allow Ontario hotels and tour operators to sell all-inclusive vacation packages, such as those popular in Caribbean countries.

Premier Dalton McGuinty’s Liberals also propose letting organizers of special events, such as weddings or charity fundraisers, serve alcohol until 2 a.m., instead of the current 1 a.m. cut off.

The government said it would begin consultations on the changes, which also include allowing people with drinks to circulate in retail areas of festivals.

As well, the province intends to “expand its enforcement options,†including fines, against licensees that violate liquor laws.

:chug: :chug: :chug:

“Our plan is to get rid of outdated restrictions that just don’t make sense to Ontario families today. Having a beer in your hand shouldn’t stop you from walking around a local festival,†Attorney-General Chris Bentley said in the release.

The government said it would begin consultations on the changes, which also include allowing people with drinks to circulate in retail areas of festivals.

Bluesfest, for example, already allows this. How have they been able to get away with it before this legislation? I'm trying to figure out exactly what's new about it.

Bluesfest, for example, already allows this.

As does the Ottawa Jazz Fest, and the Ottawa Folk Fest (and both have allowed it as long as I can remember).

Aloha,

Brad

I believe it has to do with fences.

On the Tottenham fest site the say they they are doing away with the fencing around the stage area and as a result alcohol won't be allowed at the stage area.

Bluesfest and jazzfest are fenced it, making it private space as opposed to public space.

These are just guesses, I don't actually know any of this stuff.

Westfest - yes in the past, no this coming year. It was in their press release.

I'm guessing the city's Municipal Alcohol Policy deals with Special Occasion Permits differently than other cities. But I'm just guessing. Would like to know real reason too, for curiosity's sake.

from Ottawa Sun:

Even though the Ottawa Chamber Music Festival doesn’t run a beer tent, executive director Glenn Hodgins agrees relaxing drinking rules would make festivals more fun for the hundreds of fans who line up under the hot sun for concerts

Why don't they just come out and say it already. Drinking booze makes things more fun. No matter how boring or shitty they are.

from Ottawa Sun:
Even though the Ottawa Chamber Music Festival doesn’t run a beer tent, executive director Glenn Hodgins agrees relaxing drinking rules would make festivals more fun for the hundreds of fans who line up under the hot sun for concerts

Why don't they just come out and say it already. Drinking booze makes things more fun. No matter how boring or shitty they are.

::takes a sip while reading post::