Jambands.ca

Good PIZZA in Downtown Toronto

DevO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a Big Slice slice while sober. It's only passable when drunk. I'm a big pizza fan, but I find it hard to find good pizza in Toronto, which is surprising given the massive Italian population. If you ever visit Riverdale/The Danforth, check out NY Cafe's pizza. You can't buy it by the slice, but even their pizza for one is cheap and delicious... and it really feeds two. Lots of cheese and generous crust and toppings.

As chains go, Magic Oven is the best, but expensive.

people in Toronto have no right to complain about pizza choices and quality. try living in Ottawa where the pizza is great as long as you like chicago style thick crust pizza. which I do not, and have yet to find a decent pizza.

I actually stock up on Mamma's pizza whenever i'm in Toronto. not as good as it was in the days of Monte Carlo, but still quite good IMO, especially for a chain.

people in Toronto have no right to complain about pizza choices and quality. try living in Ottawa where the pizza is great as long as you like chicago style thick crust pizza. which I do not, and have yet to find a decent pizza.

I actually stock up on Mamma's pizza whenever i'm in Toronto. not as good as it was in the days of Monte Carlo, but still quite good IMO, especially for a chain.

I don't like thin-crust pizza. I prefer Chicago-style like they make in my hometown, Kingston. Nothing beats Mamma Mia on Front Rd near the airport. It's hard to find good crust and a healthy dose of cheese in Toronto. For some reason, T.O. joints often skimp on cheese, although having lots may make thin-crust hard to eat.

I've often heard Ottawa pizza referred to as Lebanese style: thick crust, stupid amount of iffy cheese, dark sauce and toppings of questionable quality. I think Chicago style (deep dish) is different but I'm no expert.

In any case I agree with your assessment about Ottawa pizza BWM. Probably too far out of your neighbourhood but The Newport on Richmond Road does a pretty good thin crust.

I'm looking forward to trying Tenessy Willems. I just hate how thin crust pizza is marketed as "gourmet" and then used as an excuse to jack up the prices above market average.

Yeah... R.I.P. Gigi... Lived on that stuff while I was at UofT (Innis College, of course) in the late '80s...

For amazing Italian eats, you must go to the Italian bakeries - they all have hot tables, with veal, pizza, etc etc. That's where the genuine deal is, fo sho... Gotta get there in the daytime, though - only catch. Here's one in the West End...

San Remo

**Vesuvio's in The Junction -> I second that!! It's awesome, especially the **_Pizza Bella_** (w/ Asiago, a bit of Pesto sauce, artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes)... I usually get them to throw some sort of meat on there, but either way - mind blowing!

**If we can extend this to the GTA, though... you _must_ try Dante's. Not cheap, but simply... to-die-for! They will deliver downtown, but they charge big for it. Honestly, this is *the* one... I used to work at a studio (now defunkt) in that area, and clients used to ask me all the time, "any good pizza around here?" I would always warn them that it was expensive, but absolutely top drawer... No one ever argued after they tried it... 'Nuff said.

Bon Appetit!

For the record, this is what a chicago style deep dish pizza looks like:

1471256408_781147d1bb.jpg

I've not had a ton of pizza in Ottawa, but I can tell you I've NEVER had anything that remotely resembles a pie like this.

Google images reveals this at pizza from Ottawa - bruuuutal:

Ottawa-Colonnade-Pizza-011.jpg

But also this from that place that BradM suggested, Tennessy Williams. Looks like a real fucking tasty pie...

img_0880

Edited by Guest

I'm sure you Toronto folks will cringe and tell me I'm nuts but the only place I get my pizza from now is a Pizza Nova here in in the Hammer - seriously, the one near my house actually rocks. I was surprised.

Chicken Florentine, thin crust, well done... Pretty much the only pizza I'll eat anymore if I'm not making it myself.

I'm sure you Toronto folks will cringe and tell me I'm nuts but the only place I get my pizza from now is a Pizza Nova here in in the Hammer - seriously, the one near my house actually rocks. I was surprised.

Chicken Florentine, thin crust, well done... Pretty much the only pizza I'll eat anymore if I'm not making it myself.

I like Pizza Nova, but I've bailed on their unsatisfactory home delivery. The order is often fucked up or the pizza is coldish. I'd rather just pick it up.

I like Pizza Nova, but I've bailed on their unsatisfactory home delivery. The order is often fucked up or the pizza is coldish. I'd rather just pick it up.

I'm lucky, the Pizza Nova is a mere 3 min drive from my house. Mine is usually first on the list when delivered. I usually do pick up though. What I like is that they guy who runs it has gotten to know me, so I've got a good thing going with him. I'll call my order in and he'll tell me how long it'll be before they get to making it, then I'll head over and they wait until I get there to throw it in the oven, so its hot as hell when I get it. One time I was dying for some and didn't have the wheels so I walked over, when the guy found out I was walking he waited until a delivery guy showed up before throwing the pizza in the oven and then had the delivery guy drop me off at home (free). Can't complain about that service.

God bless you Fluff. Having lived here 10 years I can assure you that I have never have a Chicago style pizza in this city nor heard of any place offering it.

This is for Dinghy:

house_of_georgie.jpg

Ding ding ding ding...we have a winner for Ottawa pizza. Bella Vista comes a close second to Sorento's/Georgie's.

Chicago deep dish does not exist in Ottawa. Not that I've found...

Not a fan of thin crust...it's too messy and you can't get enough toppings on it.

I just love pizza.

Not a fan of thin crust...it's too messy and you can't get enough toppings on it.

I know a few folks who say the same thing about toppings, but I think they are referring to a single slice, I dunno mine always have ample toppings, more if I ask for it. Myself, I find the regular/thick crust is fine when getting a single slice, but for a whole pizza I find I can eat like two slices before I start feeling bloated from the dough. Thin crust (usually whole wheat) I could easily eat an entire large pizza if I wanted to before feeling that, if at all. Personally I compare it to making a baloney sandwich with 3" thick slices of french bread - all filler and no substance.

I did get a bit of a laugh though about the too messy part. I'd wager that those gravy drenched slices are messier then any thin crust...I've never had to use a fork to eat mine. loljb.gif