Jambands.ca

If you could change a rule in sports?

mister slippery

What would it be?

For me, it's soccer.

I hate after a whistle blows on a foul, players pick up the ball and wander about with it, moaning and complaining. My rule change would state that you can't use your hands, on the pitch, at all, excepting setting up a penalty/free/corner kick. Drives me mad when they do that.

Just saw it a few times in everton vs Newcastle, thought I'd vent.

:dance:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toss up for me between American/Canadian football and Basketball, but for both it's how they handle, or don't handle, instant replay. They need it in the NBA to be more sure that the fouls they call aren't pure fuckery, and they need to expand what they can consider in the NFL. m2c

1. NHL - Shootout losses should not get 1 point. The game ended, one team won (2 points) the other team lost (0 points). It's logical and fair and eliminates both 3-point games and the notion that losing in a shootout is half a win.

2. Cricket - Scoring should be somewhat understandable by highly educated people.

3. NBA - Not really a rule change, but consistently call travelling and 3 in the key.

4. Soccer - Some kind of rule change to eliminate diving.

1. NHL - Shootout losses should not get 1 point. The game ended, one team won (2 points) the other team lost (0 points). It's logical and fair and eliminates both 3-point games and the notion that losing in a shootout is half a win.

2. Cricket - Scoring should be somewhat understandable by highly educated people.

3. NBA - Not really a rule change, but consistently call travelling and 3 in the key.

4. Soccer - Some kind of rule change to eliminate diving.

All good changes. I'd also like fouls in the NBA called regardless of what team you play for or what name is on your back.

- less time-outs in B-ball & penalize strategic fouling to the point that it doesn't exist anymore(not sure how, but it would be great if someone could figure it out). The end of close games could and should be soooooooo much better.

- it's a weird one, but if you've ever played field hockey, the rule is that you can only shoot right handed. To me, this is the stupidest rule in sports. Needs to change.

Also, women's team volleyball should be on TV more.

Edited by Guest

I wish this were a new rule: the outright ban of F1 time-trials for TV broadcasts. It just may be the most boring sports-related event ever produced. F1 itself is marginally more entertaining. No matter though because the "sport" is on a decline.

I think you're mostly wrong about F1 and suspect you don't know what you're talking about but there is room for improvement for sure.

1. No more Tilke tracks

2. Bring back in-race refueling

3. No more blue flags

As for other sports, I thought of another one.

Baseball - the reliever has been warming up in the bullpen for 20 minutes, why does he need another 8 warm-up pitches on the mound during the game? And why do they need to throw the ball around between innings?

Baseball - the reliever has been warming up in the bullpen for 20 minutes, why does he need another 8 warm-up pitches on the mound during the game? And why do they need to throw the ball around between innings?

Id say the warm ups on the mound help familiarize the pitcher with the environment. The game mound can have a much different feel than the BP mound, for one thing. Also, playing catch (re: fielders)warms up the tiny muscles in the arm and shoulder that are susceptable (sp?) to injury if engaged in max effort after sitting dormant for half an inning. Sounds wimpy, I know, but its true. I guess too, it gives everyone else on the field something to do while the pitcher warms up.

Re: Strategic fouls at the end of a Bball game...

I was thinking of this while playing pick up hockey tonight, and there's nothing really that can be done about it. If you penalized the foul more dramatically (say 4 free throws) and deterred the defending team from comitting it, the team with the ball would merely let the clock run out. Its a lose-lose situation! There is no way to stop the dumb way close basketball games end.

The strategy is moot if the team being fouled hits their shots. The reason they end so weak is because we'd rather see guys who can jump fourteen feet in the air and break the rim with their teeth [but who can't sink a shot from more than three feet away] then see Jeff Hornacek hit wacky shots all night, and then drain the and-one. Some proof is in the growth of the product post MJ and Vince dunk spectaculars, imo.

a little convoluted but the moral is hit your free throws. :susel: :chug:

Edited by Guest

Right, but even if they know the entire team is 99%from the line, they'll still have to foul to get the ball back. I say go the football route and if team A is leading by 4 with under 24 seconds to go and has posession of the ball, the point guard can take a knee and that's the end of it :)

Baseball - the reliever has been warming up in the bullpen for 20 minutes' date=' why does he need another 8 warm-up pitches on the mound during the game? And why do they need to throw the ball around between innings?[/quote']

Id say the warm ups on the mound help familiarize the pitcher with the environment. The game mound can have a much different feel than the BP mound, for one thing. Also, playing catch (re: fielders)warms up the tiny muscles in the arm and shoulder that are susceptable (sp?) to injury if engaged in max effort after sitting dormant for half an inning. Sounds wimpy, I know, but its true. I guess too, it gives everyone else on the field something to do while the pitcher warms up.

Well OK, but...

1. Regarding different mounds - They're professionals and they've been pitching from different mounds their whole lives. Deal with it.

2. Injuries possible from sitting dormant - So don't sit dormant, be an athlete and keep limber for an entire game.

Baseball - the reliever has been warming up in the bullpen for 20 minutes' date=' why does he need another 8 warm-up pitches on the mound during the game? And why do they need to throw the ball around between innings?[/quote']

Well OK, but...

1. Regarding different mounds - They're professionals and they've been pitching from different mounds their whole lives. Deal with it.

2. Injuries possible from sitting dormant - So don't sit dormant, be an athlete and keep limber for an entire game.

I'll respond by referencing AD's response to Jaimoe's gripe with F1 racing. I suspect you don't know much about it.

seriously though, ever tried playing catch in a dugout? Ever tried playing catch in a dugout while 9 other guys tried at the same time?

Nothing as efficient as actually tossing the ball around. First and foremost, its for the pitcher though, as an injury prevention measure. And even if the fielders did warm up their arms in some other way, they'd just be standing there kicking dirt while the pitcher tossed, and that wouldn't be much fun.

Throwing the ball around after striking or throwing a batter out is more to do with routine and history. I agree that all mounds are different and warming up in an unnatural bullpen (often on turf or rubber) is alot different than a game mound. Eight pitches is about right.

I used to be a F1 fan when I was younger. I'll give you that races have been getting more competetive in recent years, but time-trials are really boring as a televised event. F1 also has some troubles in terms of losing higher profile Grand Prix races held in Austria, France and the US (Bernie Ecclestone did not want to fail there). It's good for F1's profile in North American that they got back Montreal. There is worry amongst the teams suggested by folks at Raceline Radio that having races in countires such as Bahrain, Singapore and UAE is bad for the growth of the sport.

I'll give you that races have been getting more competetive in recent years, but time-trials are really boring as a televised event. F1 also has some troubles in terms of losing higher profile Grand Prix races held in Austria, France and the US (Bernie Ecclestone did not want to fail there). It's good for F1's profile in North American that they got back Montreal. There is worry amongst the teams suggested by folks at Raceline Radio that having races in countires such as Bahrain, Singapore and UAE is bad for the growth of the sport.

1. I often find qualifying much more exciting than the races. 20, 15, and 10 minutes to bang out the absolute best lap possible. There are fuel and tire considerations too if you make it to Q3. Definitely exciting.

2. Losing GPs - They've lost some races, but they're adding GPs and tracks too. Korea debuted last year, India debuts this year, new GP in Austin debuts next year, Russian GP in Sochi debuts in 2014. Turkey has got to go, and some classic tracks are nearing the end of their F1 life, but for now Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Monaco, Interlagos are still on the calendar. The tracks need to be built by someone other than Tilke though, as my original post said. His tracks bring about boring processional races. (But qualifying is still exciting).

3. New questionable races - Well, Singapore is a street course at night and it's pretty awesome. Bahrain has a shit track as does Abu Dhabi, but the spectacle is amazing and there's so much money for Bernie and the teams due to airline sponsorships and huge advertising revenues (same for Malaysia and others).

It's not new that Bernie has been under the gun. It comes down to where he wants the market to grow. Is it better to have races on at insane hours (to NA/SA and western Europe). There's also longterm financial and cultural concerns with some of the newer host cities/counties. It's more like, be careful who you choose to hop into bed with. Just see the mess that is WC 2018.

I'm more following what some insiders are worried about. Is growing the sport in those developing areas a good thing if it hurts the established core? When it comes down to it, fans in poorer countries can't afford to go to their own races. Maybe it doesn't matter? Anyway, I find F1's futrue interesting.

Korea didn't attract many fans last year because it was doubtful the race would go ahead, and the track is in the worst possible location in the country. Nobody shows up in Turkey and that GP will be scrapped soon. Melbourne will be off the calendar soon due to local politics. You're right, *some* GPs have attendance issues for sure. But some are insanely popular - Montreal, Silverstone, Monza, Barcelona, Monaco, Brazil, Spa, etc etc. It's a strange balance.

Some older tracks can't hold GPs anymore due to outdated infrastructure. New GPs are key for international growth and sponsorships.

Yes, certainly interesting to see how Bernie works things out and especially when he moves aside for whoever is next on the throne.