Jambands.ca

If you could change a rule in sports?

mister slippery

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is necessary for you to consider something a sport?

Guaranteed every F1 driver is a better athlete than most baseball, hockey, football even tennis players. But that might not come into your idea of what makes something a sport.

Guaranteed? How does your opinion guarantee something? What evidence do you have to back up said "guarantee?" An F1 driver's training itinerary? Anyone can sit in a sauna for 4 hours. Is it their ability to sit for hours at a time? is their ability to sit in a leather suit for that time combined with their incredible reflexes that allows them to use their arms to steer. I've steered before, it's tough stuff. hell, i drove through Chicago last summer on Phish tour. I was tired, and that 10 miles I run every day is the only way i made it through the day, i tells ya (sarcastic rant over)

You've said some dumb shit over the years AD (i'm guilty too, we all are), but saying an F1 driver is in better shape than a hockey player, a football player or a tennis player is complete bunk, dude.

I'm far to lazy to be dragged into a debate on what makes a sport a sport.

saying an F1 driver is in better shape than a hockey player, a football player or a tennis player is complete bunk, dude.

Nope.

I say it because I've followed the sport for a long time and have seen what the drivers do to prepare. If you did some research you might agree.

I'd put tennis players and boxers up there above hockey and football players too as far as fitness goes.

Here's 2 articles I quickly googled now that will give you an idea of the athleticism of F1 drivers. Think of what a driver is going through for 90 minutes with 0 seconds of downtime next time a baseball player picks his nose, a hockey player ends a shift or period, etc.

are f1 drivers considered athletes?

who says f1 drivers aren't athletes?

You may not think that F1 is a sport and that's a fair debate I suppose, but to deny that the drivers are some of the most elite athletes in the world is plain wrong.

Guest Low Roller

• Boxing: Clutching should result in a point deduction
  • Soccer: Greater enforcement of sportsmanship (i.e. throwing the ball away, diving, touching the ref, etc...). The game has largely become a joke.
  • Hockey: 3 point games eliminated.
  • Baseball: Team salary cap introduced

[*]Boxing: Clutching should result in a point deduction

I think that's too harsh. However, I think refs need to be more stern when they give fighters warnings and then take a point off when necessary. Points are taken off all for clutching (maybe not enough for everyone's liking) and/or not being active. But a badly hurt fighter should have the right to clutch, for safety sake and strategy (if they aren't out-matched).

saying an F1 driver is in better shape than a hockey player' date=' a football player or a tennis player is complete bunk, dude.[/quote']

Nope.

I say it because I've followed the sport for a long time and have seen what the drivers do to prepare. If you did some research you might agree.

I'd put tennis players and boxers up there above hockey and football players too as far as fitness goes.

Here's 2 articles I quickly googled now that will give you an idea of the athleticism of F1 drivers. Think of what a driver is going through for 90 minutes with 0 seconds of downtime next time a baseball player picks his nose, a hockey player ends a shift or period, etc.

are f1 drivers considered athletes?

who says f1 drivers aren't athletes?

You may not think that F1 is a sport and that's a fair debate I suppose, but to deny that the drivers are some of the most elite athletes in the world is plain wrong.

That 1st article is interesting in that it shows the need for F1 drivers to be in shape, but it also goes way over the top and makes it seem like its the hardest sport in the world to train for. As if F1 drivers are the only athlete's who need arm strength, core strength, strong reaction time and agility. I could probably write something very similar for cricket if I had the time.

I think drivers are brave to the point of crazy, but there's no way they are stronger, faster and can jump as high as most elite track athletes, skilled boxers, running-backs etc.. Perhaps in hand-eye co-ordination and in flexibility. I put downhill skiers in a similar "brave and crazy" category as drivers.

I think one point that really separates drivers from cricketers (to go with that comparison) is that drivers are 100% ON and working for the entire duration of the event, heart rate through the roof, millisecond reactions, huge leg strength in braking, huge neck strength so their head doesn't fly off, confined space, strong but not bulky builds, very high temperature, 220 mph, 5Gs of force, next to a dude doing the same thing, all the while being an instant from death.

[color:purple]But yeah, very similar to cricket.

I think drivers are brave to the point of crazy, but there's no way they are stronger, faster and can jump as high as most elite track athletes, skilled boxers, running-backs etc..

Most of the examples you use are strong and complete athletes sure, but for short bursts with small windows of stamina and concentration. There's a huge difference in running a cross-pattern, maybe catching a pass then blocking a run maybe then hitting the bench for 10 minutes in football or boxing a round until somebody gets KO'd or doing a 4 second high-jump and 90-100 minutes of extreme forces on the body in intense heat and legs under braking etc....

Hockey players hit harder than football players. Its pure psychics.

Some do, many don't. All hockey players are not created equal and perhaps a fifth of the league are pussies. There are no pussies in football or rugby and every player, even kickers and QBs hit. Most football players are far bigger and hit on every play whereas many hockey players rarely if ever throw a bodycheck with any force of meaning. I'm pretty sure Kaberle threw one check during his Toronto days and Sundin may have thrown two good ones.

AD, cause I find this stuff fascinating, I gotta nerd it up. All these things can and should be trained for as an elite athlete in the sport:

F1 involves:

Physicall Abilities:

- aerobic stamina (dynamic effort over an extended period of time)

- Strength endurance (muscle contractions at intensities below max strength) * not to be confused with max strength (highest level of tension generated by a muscle or muscle group)

total - 2

Motor Abilities:

- dynamic balance (the ability to stabilize the body by performing muscular contractions to overcome a resistance).

- coordination (performing movements in correct order)

total = 2

- Tactical Abilities

- Mental skills: attentional, and emotional control

total = 3

overall = 7

Cricket involves:

Physical:

Speed

max strength

speed strength

strength endurance

flexibility