Jambands.ca

If you could change a rule in sports?

mister slippery

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You stop concentrating in rugby, you get killed.

You stop paying attention in basketball, you get some time on the bench. Otherwise, I simply can't buy that kimi raikonen, my favorite driver, is a better athlete than jonah lomu, or lebron, sorry.

Edited by Guest

Amen to the rugby brother. I played for 10 years myself, went to Canada Games in Kamloops in '93. My coach said one time at practice, "you aren't the biggest or strongest or fastest, but I have NEVER seen anyone who loved to get hit as much as you". I absolutely loved it when I was in shape!

I love to WATCH American Football more than anything else, but the way rugby is played, the importance of fitness and how any position player can be called upon in any different situation, is unique.

Also, when I am defending F1, I am comparing it to cricket or baseball, and I don't know a fucking thing about cricket, so I have left myself open to insults as usual.

Don't we have this discussion in different modes once or twice a year? I am sure I have brought out my rugby stories before.

I've always enjoyed this little link during discussions such as this. Take from it what you will...

Sports Skills

Here is how the top 10 sports are ranked...

Boxing

Ice Hockey

Football

Basketball

Wrestling

Martial Arts

Tennis

Gymnastics

Baseball/Softball

Soccer

Auto racing is ranked 32.

Here are the categories that the sports are ranked in...

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong

STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.

POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.

SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.

AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.

FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.

NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.

DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.

HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.

ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

"you aren't the biggest or strongest or fastest, but I have NEVER seen anyone who loved to get hit as much as you".

Well fuck. That explains the brain trauma. I always wondered where that came from.

As for rules? I hate hate hate when a player slashes another players stick and BOOM!

"2 minutes for slashing"

but in 99.999% of the cases when the stick doesnt break there is no call. These sticks are twigs nowadays. Garbage interpretation of the rule if you ask me.

I've always enjoyed this little link during discussions such as this. Take from it what you will...

Sports Skills

Here is how the top 10 sports are ranked...

Boxing

Ice Hockey

Football

Basketball

Wrestling

Martial Arts

Tennis

Gymnastics

Baseball/Softball

Soccer

Auto racing is ranked 32.

Here are the categories that the sports are ranked in...

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong

STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.

POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.

SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.

AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.

FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.

NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.

DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.

HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.

ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Exactly. This is what I was doing with F1 and Cricket. Punk - these aren't my rankings, its the universal standard.

so the F1 racers prepare like crazy and face rigorous steering and gas/brake pedaling....by this reasoning (loosely) one could surmise that with a Universal weight machine and a treadmill I could prepare to be an F1 driver. add to that some naturally quick reflexes and I have the making of a champ!!

they're not athletes, they're drivers.

One who doesn't understand / is illiterate could surmise that, sure.

Please do enlighten the illiterates around here.

Radiohead are far too good to be considered jazz.

Still looking for an explanation on this one :P

F1 is motorsport.

F1 drivers = long distance runner

Monster Truck drivers = sprinters

08_danica-patrick_09.jpgdennis-anderson-grave-digger-monster-truck.jpg

I don't think there is a Universal Standard either. The ESPN article is an interesting read and was developed by some people with quite an amount of knowledge.

Should we all agree with it hook line and sinker... no

but it does give a hint of how the different abilities we consider athletic are attributed to different sports.

I'd change all the rules in the CFL to make it just like the NFL. If not I'd make a rule about the CFL folding.

Also, 2 point conversions all the way is fucking stupid. Football is a war of attrition, a chess match, an exchange of shots, or pretty much whatever cliche you'd like to pull out of your ass but the consistency of trading points via field goals and converted 7 point touchdowns is so key to the nature of the NFL game that adding the randomness of missing 2 point conversions would ruin it.

Make it more exciting? Maybe for some slack jaw fuck that also gets off on the SuperBowl commercials but seriously, anyone sitting back watching the best regular season product of any league(I'm not getting into the NFL vs NHL playoff debate, they're both awesome for different reasons) and is thinking 2 point conversions are really going to get things popping I suggest you either change the channel or your tampon.

Punk, I dont think he is referring to that Page 2 article. Hal cant possibly mean that this panel created some magical universal standard which ranks sport.

correct. I'm definitely not referring to any Espn doc. I'm referring to the norm established by exercise physiology that is supported by years and years of scientific evidence.

And lets not forget where this started - AD claimed F1 racers to be far superior athletes to hockey players and tennis players and the like. Im simply stating that this debate is old, and science proves the statement is incorrect. In my opinion, there's certainly aspects of F1 racing that can be and are required to be trained for, but that's it. My analogy was that Cricket requires training too - even more than F1 - but you dont hear me making outrageous claims that it is the hardest sport in the world.

Edit to add: that espn panel has people with PHd's, so it actually is fairly legit. I thought it was just gonna be Jim Caple and Bill Simmons, but it wasn't.

Eit to add more:; You guys are a tough sell sometimes. The universal standard is the sport skills that are required; these are standards that all sports are linke to...some require more skills than others...pretty simple concept IMO, nothing "magic" about it. It's existance isn't due to any argument over what is the more demanding sport, but more over what needs to be trained for to become better.

Edited by Guest

Im simply stating that this debate is old, and science proves theorizes that the statement is incorrect.

Fixed that for you. Most of the indicators used for the rankings in that report are quantitative but a few are definitely qualitative and subjective in nature. You can't say that's a scientific proof, sorry. It's probably good science, it's probably good theory and I think you're 100% correct but its a study.

One who doesn't understand / is illiterate could surmise that' date=' sure. [/quote']

Please do enlighten the illiterates around here.

It's hard work. Btw, thanks for bringing up Radiohead in a sports thread, and as always, thanks for the pictures of tits.

Radiohead are far too good to be considered jazz.

Still looking for an explanation on this one :P

Sigh. Somebody compared Radiohead to jazz. I'm not a fan of most jazz. I really like Radiohead. Is that explanation ok? If yes, post a picture of tits.