Jambands.ca

Recommend a roofer - Ottawa

AD

never seen a roofing company do eavestroughs but the only thing I can suggest is if you are putting on a metal roof get 5" troughs.

If you are getting a shingle roof make sure they are using 3' Grace rubber underlayment around the bottom of the roof and in the valleys....and 35 year shingles typically last 20 years or less.

Are you trying to fix the eaves or replace/put new ones up? If you have trees have them install gutter guards - this one is the best:

gutterclean_gutter.jpg

I've heard good stuff about Sanderson Roofing from two of my neighbours. My roof needs re-shingling this spring, I'm going to call them for an estimate.

My roof has been in rough shape for a while. Last summer there was no shortage of handymen knocking on my door and offering their roofing services. They would leave their name and cell phone number. I would not recommend anyone like this at all. They seem like the guys Mike Holmes warns you about on his show.

For any major home renovation work I go with well-established companies who have actual business addresses.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get a roofer yet AD?

Sanderson will be starting on my roof tomorrow.

They were more expensive than some of the other estimates I got, but they've been around a long time and have an actual building and address. These days any half-wit with a truck, ladder, and cell-phone is calling himself a "roofer".

I'll let you know how it goes.

I highly suggest watching a recent Marketplace on the roofing "industry" in Canada and how you can try to protect yourself:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/hittingtheroof/

I've got to do my roof too. I'm dreading it. Gonna have to do a lot of research to hire the right people. Anyone know of any in the Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area that are reputable?

a fatal fire in Ottawa was caused by....wait for it.... roofing work

From the article:

The fatal Listowel fire, which claimed the lives of two firefighters, started when contractors were repairing the store roof, the Ontario Fire Marshal's office said Wednesday.

Listowel is located 150 km northwest of Toronto.

Edited by Guest

Sanderson took over two weeks and repeated calls to do an estimate. Said estimate was considerably higher than others. Went with a dude who was highly recommended by co-workers, gonna get it done this weekend depending on weather.

Sanderson took over two weeks and repeated calls to do an estimate. Said estimate was considerably higher than others. Went with a dude who was highly recommended by co-workers, gonna get it done this weekend depending on weather.

That's odd that they were less than responsive with you. They did my estimate one day after I contacted them. Then I (actually my wife) dilly-dallied on choosing the colour of shingles for a couple of weeks. They're on my roof right now and will complete the job today.

Anyway, I'm glad you found someone who you should be happy with.