Jambands.ca

ISO DSO Extra (s)

Rary8

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear that people slowly but surely seem to be finding the tickets they're seeking. I'm laughing at myself for how stoked I am for tonight. Guess its been a little too long since I've been to a show. Butterflies, moonbeams and zebras jumpin' around my tummy right now. Such a great contingent of folk coming out of the woodwork tonight too so I'm sure that has lots to do with it. Hope to see y'all there!

From www.DarkStarOrchestra.com

6/26/76 Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL

One: The Promised Land ; Sugaree ; Cassidy ; Row Jimmy ; Mama Tried ; Tennessee Jed ; Looks Like Rain ; Scarlet Begonias ; Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication ; Peggy-O ; The Music Never Stopped

Two: Playing In The Band > Saint Stephen > The Wheel > Playing In The Band Reprise > Samson And Delilah ; Crazy Fingers > Stella Blue ; Around And Around > One More Saturday Night

Encore: U.S. Blues

Filler: Mister Charlie

Sold Out

Notes: ...

First show in Canada!

Edited by Guest

Well I'm not much of a reviewer but the room was packed with really good people and the band was awesome. They played June 26 1976. I copied the setlist from the Dead archive:

Set 1

The Promised Land

Sugaree

Cassidy

Row Jimmy

Mama Tried

Tennessee Jed

Looks Like Rain

Scarlet Begonias

Lazy Lightnin' ->

Supplication

Peggy-O

The Music Never Stopped

Set 2

Playing In The Band ->

Saint Stephen ->

The Wheel ->

Playing In The Band Reprise

Samson And Delilah

Crazy Fingers ->

Stella Blue

Around And Around ->

One More Saturday Night

Encore

U.S. Blues

http://archive.org/details/gd1976-06-26.mtx.seamons.95355.sbeok.flac16

They did an extra encore of Mr. Charlie which was super danceable and a fun way to close. I really loved the Peggy-O. Such a great song.

Helped jaydawg hand out some flyers for the Billy Martin show which is a fun way to meet folks. Too "buzy" to take many photos, got a couple, no close ups or anything fancy. Don't have the patience right now to get them from iPhone to this site

Edited by Guest

I had an amazing show. I just wasn't ready for the music to stop and stumble back out into the streets to the real world.

I was front right of centre most of the night and from where I was standing the sound was pretty good I thought for the Opera House. There was an incredible amount of energy under that roof. It was a great crowd and so nice to see so many people from the past and present of this loose community. The Sugaree, Cassidy, Row Jimmy is where things kicked into action for me, so pretty much from the get go. I got sucked in and couldn't leave. I don't think I even managed to get a drink or go to the washroom and I remember by the end feeling so thirsty!! Oh yeah, right...sustenance! The Scarlet, and Peggy-o from first set were also highlights. And there was this dungeon like bad ass bass line from the music never stopped of all songs that was running through my head post-show for hours.

Crazy Fingers into Stella Blue was probably my absolute highlight and sent me soaring into a sweet harmonious space. And the Mr. Charlie was, as mentioned, so so groovy to dance to.

All in all a great show for me, but I got a little lost after that and wasn't feeling any of the post show shennanigans. Lost that loving feeling and called it a night.

Wish I could have caught them again in Buffalo. Heaps of fun and nostalgia.

Don't know what else to add from what was said here already about the show. Most importantly a huge THANK YOU to BONES for helping me out with a ticket. I owe ya one!

Met up with an old deadhead/online buddy from the mid 90s preshow and got caught-up over a couple of beers. I was really impressed with the turnout, happy faces, old and young, that were milling about outside the Opera House. I really didn't know if there was enough of an active scene to bring out these numbers. As edger said, the energy was palpable and I can't recall having as much fun at the Opera House ever.

Opera House security were noticeably more respectful of the crowd and were much more laid-back than usual. It didn't seem like anyone was over-stepping their bounds either. Set break was fantastic outside to cool off a bit from the heat generated in that LOOOOONG first set ;)

Stuck around after the show and then went to that pub where Caution Jam (well, two of 'em) were and was able to catch-up with my old friend Rob Eaton. He said they loved performing in Toronto and were pleased with the energy of the crowd. Promises were made to return at least once a year north of the border. We reminisced of our old online community (Section 7 on Rocknet/Compuserve) and his pre-DSO band Border Legion and the fun at those shows. I was beat and had to be up for work the next day so I said my goodbyes and that was it.

That show totally recharged my GD batteries. People clan slag DSO for being a cover band or whatever, but I'll take 'em any day and hope they have continued success and play for many more years to come.

Thanks again bones, DSO, Grateful Dead, etc. F-U Rhianna ;)

Here's an enjoyable read with some mention of Rob and DSO in it:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/26/121126fa_fact_paumgarten?currentPage=1

People clan slag DSO for being a cover band or whatever, but I'll take 'em any day and hope they have continued success and play for many more years to come.

Agreed, they do an excellent job of "covering" the songs while making it sound fresh. I really enjoyed the Friday night show at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo.

Peace, Mark