Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folk Festival

Freak By Night

I don't even think it's a question of whether or not he could do an acoustic show- I think that a lot of people who did see the Horse before the tour got cancelled would feel disappointed that they didn't get an acoustic show if he did one here.

The replacement will be someone they can get on short notice, I highly doubt the calibre will be anywhere near NY$CH.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have confirmed that Neil Young will not be performing on September 4 at the Ottawa Folk Festival. This is due to a hand injury sustained by guitarist Frank ‘Poncho’ Sampedro, whose doctor has indicated that Sampredo's hand requires additional time to heal properly. Festival organizers will announce refund details and other line-up updates before the end of this week. Thank you all for your understanding.

Aloha,

Brad

I wasn't saying that Neil should show up and play solo, I was only saying that the only acceptable fill in for a Neil show would be Neil. I've read Neils book, I know he doesn't want to play acoustic shows anymore.

I'm not even coming to OFF, I am going to Harvest Picnic which makes this worse. They have a lineup and ticket price that was completely built around Neil. $140 for Lanois and Emmylou isn't going to cut it, especially after seeing them both at that fest last year. The rest of the lineup is 4th level festival undercard because they had such a marquee headliner.

Don't give us The Hip or Blue Rodeo or a similarly local and available act, it ain't going to cut it. Just offer refunds (which Harvest has yet to announce) and take this one on the chin.

Gotcha, and I agree. Accept no substitutes, unless someone really special can be arranged on short notice. I read the book just last month and it really stoked my fire for the OFF show.

My heart really goes out to the organizers. This must be a real gut-punch after how excited so many people were for the festival. Still a great lineup, but Neil and the Horse were what had really put it over the top IMO.

they've posted some info regarding daypass refunds on their website. for those with full passes the refund / lineup changes will be released Friday.

Anyone care to speculate on a replacement? Think we'll get a major name or a consolation prize? I see that Pearl Jam is available that night....(he said wishfully)

Ottawa Folk Festival organizers just confirmed that City and Colour will be headlining on Wednesday, September 4. Also on the bill is ‘Patti Smith and Her Band’. Day tickets for September 4 will be available for purchase Saturday, August 24 at 10 a.m. at all Ottawa Folk Festival Tickets outlets— as well as three-day passports, adult five-day festival passports, youth festival wristbands, and ‘Folk Clubhouse’ passports.

Previous purchases of three-day passports, adult five-day festival passports, youth festival wristbands, and ‘Folk Clubhouse’ passports are still valid for this date (Sept. 4, 2013). In addition, as a gesture of thanks, festival organizers will offer fans that previously purchased three-day passports, adult five-day festival passports, youth festival wristbands, and ‘Folk Clubhouse’ passports (prior to August 20) a $25 credit towards the purchase of their same event pass for 2014.

City and Colour—the moniker of singer-songwriter Dallas Green—is undeniably one of the biggest groundswell stories in Canadian music. With three JUNOs under his belt—including two SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR awards (2009, 2012), and three Platinum-selling albums, Green’s latest and fourth studio album The Hurry and The Harm debuted at #1 on the Top-200 SoundScan Chart in Canada, last month. It is City and Colour’s best debut in Canada to date, outselling Little Hell, which also debuted at #1. The Hurry and The Harm made serious waves internationally as well, debuting at a career high #16 in the U.S., #4 in Australia, #32 in the UK, and #83 in Germany. City and Colour’s last Canadian tour sold out in minutes and came on the heels of an international run with sold-out shows across the US, UK and Europe including arena dates opening for P!NK in the U.S. and Biffy Clyro in the UK.

Green’s new touring band includes Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs, Dead Weather) on bass, Dante Schwebel (Hacienda, Dan Auerbach) on guitar, Doug MacGregor (Constantines) on drums and Matt Kelly on pedal steel guitar and keys.

“It’s definitely been a challenging week, but I’d say I’m very pleased that Dallas Green (City and Colour) could accommodate us on such short notice,” says festival executive/programming director Mark Monahan. “He’ll make a great opening night for the festival.”

Other acts to note at the Ottawa Folk Festival include Vampire Weekend (Sept. 5), Kendrick Lamar (Sept. 6), The Avett Brothers (Sept. 7), and The Wailers (Sept. 8).

is city and colour the headliner over Patti Smith? cause IMO if that's the case, that is just fucked. No disrespect to City and Colour, but Patti is a true legend and always puts on an awesome show. I've seen her in small venues (convocation hall, the fillmore) and headline a huge festival.

she is more than worthy of being the headliner.

I would think that Dallas Green would be honoured to open for her.

i'm not going either way. but that's my 2 cents.

That's brutal. I don't want a $25 credit towards next year - I want a refund for this year. I doubt $25 of each ticket was allotted to the Neil Young slot, it had to have been much more than that. And Dallas Green headlining over Patti Smith? I don't like either but I know a little bit about music history and artistic significance and this is a slap in the face to Smith and her contingent.

• 2 weeks later...