Jambands.ca

The Black Crowes officially break up

c-towns

In a statement released today, guitarist Rich Robinson has officially announced the breakup of his former band, the beloved Black Crowes. Rich and his brother Chris Robinson founded the band back in 1989.

The statement:

It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up.

I hold my time with the Black Crowes with the utmost respect and sincerest appreciation. It is a huge swath of my life’s body of work. I couldn’t be more proud of what we accomplished and deeply moved by the relationships people created and maintained with my music. That alone is the greatest honor of being a musician.  

**I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to.**

There are so many people who have helped and supported us along the way. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of our fans, our friends behind the scenes, and to everyone who was a part of The Black Crowes.

The band has been on hiatus since 2010, though performed sporadically throughout 2013. They did not perform at all in 2014, as both Chris and Rich Robinson have been working and touring with their own solo bands.

**Not sure exactly what that part of his statement is referring to, seems like a weird space to air that laundry.**

hmmmmm. 

that's kinda fucked up but sadly not surprising. I really loved Rich's first solo record, Paper, but not much else since then. As for Chris,

"Mr. High and Mighty standing with your back against the wall
They better jump when you say jump, they better crawl when you say crawl

Buildings crumble and peasants cower at the sound of your name

But was it God that gave you that power or is it merely fame

Mr. High and Mighty who are your sights set on now with your fair-weather fortune and your gold sacred cow

You reunite with your long lost brothers on an old abandoned ship
There was a time when you brought joy to others
Guess you got caught up in the trip

Mr High and Mighty remember when you were low
On the sunny streets of Georgia but that was a long time ago

Mr. High and Mighty will you ever join us again
Will we dance and sing together, will we all join hands

Can't you hear the voices calling or is it just time for another show
Once again the great have fallen
Did you really have that far to go"

Gov't Mule "Mr. High and Mighty"

Steve Gorman apparently has a sports talk radio show (not sure why) and got into the breakup a bit at the beginning of each hour of his show which can be heard here.

He keeps saying how he would have done the upcoming tour (25 year anniversary of Shake Your Money Maker) just to thank all of his fans. If that was the case than why not except being a paid employee? There is a huge part to this story that is missing and we likely won't hear. I think Gorman comes off sounding like a tool.

I think he has lots of good reason not to accept those terms but a complicated story I'm sure. The kind that only arises after decades of layers build up. Sometimes the closest of relationships can only end if you drive it right off into the ditch. Its easy to be a hypocrite when emotions run awry.Hope it fuels their creative outlets elsewhere which I am diggin on these days in a big big way. Will miss the crowes for sure and thankful I caught them at vibes in 2013 (despite the crazy random stalker that near ruined that show for me) and also at Massey hall right before the hiatus

Steve Gorman's brother is a producer of the show, and works for ESPN. 

I still contend that Steve has every right to be pissed. When he came back to the band in 2005, that was the best tour the Crowes ever played. He is vital to the band. And he deserves the $$, you should see what that mans hands look like after a show! If any of us started a company and every year we got paid less and dictated to more, we would all be disgruntled.

I fucking loathe Chris Robinson. He has been a total asshole to me on two separate occasions and I've seen him berate other band members, fans, audience members, venues and even his gorgeous movie star wife - all live and in person.

I love the line from Steve about Axl Rose, about how if you added a private school education and a boatload of artistic pretense- that you have Chris Robinson.

Steve Gorman's brother is a producer of the show, and works for ESPN. 

That doesn't really make Steve being the host of a sports radio show relevant at all.

I still contend that Steve has every right to be pissed.  If any of us started a company and every year we got paid less and dictated to more, we would all be disgruntled.

He sure does, but taking it publicly on his sports radio program is just as low as whatever he think's or knows Chris has done to him.

That doesn't really make Steve being the host of a sports radio show relevant at all.

He sure does, but taking it publicly on his sports radio program is just as low as whatever he think's or knows Chris has done to him.

It does because I am sure his brothers role as a sports radio producer must have had something to do getting the gig. His radio gig is a Fox Sports Radio show that was spawned from a popular podcast that Steve did for a few years which combined stories of the road, with his love of sports and pop culture. That podcast led to him being broadcast on a few southern radio stations.

I agree on choice to publicly broadcast but I believe in PR they call that 'getting out in front of the story'.

Knowing the Robinson boys penchant for dragging things out in the open and through the mud, this is far from the last we will hear of this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw the CRB and was very underwhelmed. Chris seems desperate to be considered a legit guitarist and I admit he's come very far since New Earth Mud but the guy is a singer and playing guitar reduces the quality of his vocals by half (perhaps the same half he wished to take from Rich, who wrote most if not all of the music Chris has so well profited from......having said that, half Chris vocals are better than most) But Despite Neal being very solid lead, they were pretty boring. Ok we get it you guys LOVE 70's GD. But having Moog keys solos on most songs and meandering, uninteresting, anti-climactic guitar leads makes for a fun, but generally tepid concert. 

I couldn't disagree more. MacDougall is one of if not my most favorite keys player out there. He is one funky crazy rhythm bending freak. Wizard indeed. I love Casal ' s tone and grounded presence amidst the swirling jams. I think the new drummer sounds great...bassist drops the bombs. Last time I saw them it was the best I've seen them yet which has been quite a number of times now. Their growth trajectory is just taking off as far as I can feel and if Chris wants to evolve as a guitarist in this new space he's found himself in I'm all for supporting that. I find he's adding some worthwhile texture to the mix

I couldn't disagree more. MacDougall is one of if not my most favorite keys player out there. He is one funky crazy rhythm bending freak. Wizard indeed.

i don't have much experience with him, i saw them do 2 shows with Phil a few months ago and did not think he was good. but, i'm not really a Crowes fan or a CR fan either.  although i thought Casal was good, and even CR. keys, not so much.

Not to gang up, but he's not really my style of player.   I really missed Eddie Harsch, and didn't much like MacDougall in his early days with the Crowes... but the last bunch of BC shows I saw were awesome.... I thought he'd finally found his place.  

Can't say I felt the same way seeing CRB.  Saw them twice at the Town Ballroom... 1st time I didn't like it.... although I had just seen Rich play at the Elmo a day or two earlier....but I'd figured I'd give them some time to grow.  The 2nd timei caught them... they'd gotten it a bit more together, but... I guess I was hoping for remnants of what I dug about the Crowes.... I get that Chris is trying to do his own new, different thing... but nothing about the band really got me.  Neal Casal does a good Jerry... but the moog stuff was weird, and why he doesn't have an organ on stage is beyond me... and Chris with a guitar on just has zero of the Chris Robinson frontman mojo that he's so good at.  

Rich's solo stuff is way more my style.  His records have been great, and live its way less of a snoozefest than Chris's show.

But, put both those guys on stage together... and it's some of the best rock n roll ever.  Gonna miss seeing the Black Crowes if they don't wind up playing again.   

Not to gang up, but he's not really my style of player.   I really missed Eddie Harsch, and didn't much like MacDougall in his early days with the Crowes... but the last bunch of BC shows I saw were awesome.... I thought he'd finally found his place.  

Can't say I felt the same way seeing CRB.  Saw them twice at the Town Ballroom... 1st time I didn't like it.... although I had just seen Rich play at the Elmo a day or two earlier....but I'd figured I'd give them some time to grow.  The 2nd timei caught them... they'd gotten it a bit more together, but... I guess I was hoping for remnants of what I dug about the Crowes.... I get that Chris is trying to do his own new, different thing... but nothing about the band really got me.  Neal Casal does a good Jerry... but the moog stuff was weird, and why he doesn't have an organ on stage is beyond me... and Chris with a guitar on just has zero of the Chris Robinson frontman mojo that he's so good at.  

Rich's solo stuff is way more my style.  His records have been great, and live its way less of a snoozefest than Chris's show.

But, put both those guys on stage together... and it's some of the best rock n roll ever.  Gonna miss seeing the Black Crowes if they don't wind up playing again.   

This sort of discussion (along with the witty humour) is what I miss about this message board. Thanks for taking the time to post. I have always liked the Black Crowes but have never considered myself to be a huge fan; I've seen them a few times and have enjoyed it every time. I certainly have enjoyed the CRB stuff that I've heard, but I have yet to see that band live. I am unfamiliar with Rich's material but now you have peaked me curiosity so I will keep that in mind the next time I am looking for some new music to listen to. I hope that life is treating you well these days ersh!

didn't much like MacDougall in his early days with the Crowes... but the last bunch of BC shows I saw were awesome.... I thought he'd finally found his place.  

Can't say I felt the same way seeing CRB.  Saw them twice at the Town Ballroom... 1st time I didn't like it.... although I had just seen Rich play at the Elmo a day or two earlier....but I'd figured I'd give them some time to grow.  The 2nd timei caught them... they'd gotten it a bit more together, but... I guess I was hoping for remnants of what I dug about the Crowes.... I get that Chris is trying to do his own new, different thing... but nothing about the band really got me.  Neal Casal does a good Jerry... but the moog stuff was weird,

I'd agree that I never really noticed MacDougall until more recently with the Crowes (right before their hiatus and again for their brief stint back). Actually after seeing him play a more front and centre role with the CRB was when I really began to pay more attention to what he contributed to the Crowes. It is true that CRB is really nothing like the Crowes, but I am completely ok with that. I love both for very different reasons. They are entirely different bands. I saw both of those shows at the Ballroom and I thought their evolution between the first and second show was significant. And their growth continues to slap me upside the head every time I have seen them since. Most recently being a few weeks ago...vocals were fantastic...most passionate I've seen Chris sing in probably a decade...have grown to love the lyrical substance and sentiment behind many of their songs...amazing improvisation and psychedelia, tone sweet tone, and I love the p-funk inspired weirdness that MacDougall brings. I find it an absolute pleasure to watch him do his thing. But I don't mind the gang ups ;) its always a good reminder that my impression isn't the centre of the universe...because at the time when I am listening it sure feels like it is! ;)

• 3 weeks later...