Jambands.ca

David Crosby on Phish - "Jambands should be jazz level players"

Esau.

I agree that if you are going to be in a jamband that you should be a jazz-level player, or at least aspire to be one as bouche suggests.

BUT

post-23752-now-youre-just-embarrassing-y

You might not like their music Mr Crosby but you sure as better appreciate what they have offered. There are hockey players I cant stand but I can still respect their ability when they have it.

Seems Relix mag was on top of it all too. 

https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/david_crosby_says_phish_are_just_ok

Hmmm, considering Trey was asked to play with the Dead and well, he wasn't.

Perhaps not for the 50th farewell shows. But he's now 73 or 74 years old and rumored to be calling it quits soon (he mentioned in 2013 he was thinking of retiring). He's played with the Grateful Dead (both supporting and with on stage) in the late 60s and early 70s several times. Not too mention has Garcia and other members of GD on some work of his own. So I think he's earned whatever recognition you might be getting at regarding Trey playing with them. Surpassed it even, in my opinion.

...and um, well, CSNY.

Point taken Esau :) The man is one of the vocal greats in rock. there never has been nor ever will be vocal harmonies better than what CSNY did. He doesn't have the type of guitar chops that Trey has though and that was what I was getting at.

I don't know why he feels he should be slamming other artists though. That job is for critics, not a fellow artist. He is David Crosby though, I guess he has earned the right to do or say whatever the eff he wants.

He doesn't have the type of guitar chops that Trey has though and that was what I was getting at.

Matter of opinion I suppose. Different play styles and all. But fair enough.

I don't know why he feels he should be slamming other artists though. That job is for critics, not a fellow artist. 

Perhaps its slamming to those who love Phish, but Crosby didn't just suddenly just go off on the band. He was asked his opinion and gave it. I don't know why people ask questions they might not like the answers to. Of course with some folks in fanbases (not unique to just Phish of course) anything other than 'awesome' or something similar is almost always received negatively, more so perhaps when it's from another musician it seems.

Anyway, I guess I just find the controversy and level of outrage by some folks I've seen (not so much here, but on social media) over Crosby's comments kind of mind boggling. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course. I'm passionate about the music I love too. But if I were to get upset over criticism about Bob Dylan, I'd be in a perpetual state of rage.  :lol:

I get where your coming from though and I'm not trying to be argumentative. It's just how I see it.

I've never really thought of Crosby as a guitar player, considering the other two guitar genius' in his band. I would be interested in listening to examples of some of his  better guitar work. Who knows, I probably have already heard some of it but just attributed it to Young or Stills.

You can argue if you like, I have fairly thick skin :) I'm certainly not some kind of staunch Phish defender. They are not my favorite band in the world. I like them for stints at a time. Sometimes I can't get enough other times I just can't handle it. It's why I listen to bluegrass so much, it rarely, if ever, pisses me off. Phish has a tendency to piss me off sometimes. I do think Trey is one of the best guitar players alive today and has one of the best sounding guitars that there is. He's in a class of modern rock guitarists that only includes a few names. Two of which were playing in the same band until this year :)

I have to say, Derek Trucks is the effing man. I could listen to that guy play all day any day but that's beside the point. 

Phish to David Crosby.... "David, having two guys playing the same part in drop D tuning, just to back up Stephen's parts... isn't a real band. Even if one of them is using a 12 string. However, it does give you something to do in the band. Please thank Mr. Stills for the idea!