Jambands.ca

2016 Ottawa Jazz Festival

bradm

• 2 months later...

As a kick-off party, the fest is putting on a 24-hour concert next week, running from 10am Tuesday, June 14 through 10am Wednesday, June 15 at The Record Centre. There are prizes, and passes will be available on the cheap.

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/genres/Jazz/blogs/2016/6/Could-you-handle-24-hours-of-non-stop-jazz

A Facebook event for the show is at

https://www.facebook.com/events/980580928726220/?active_tab=highlights

Now to check bus schedules, to see if it's possible to get to that 6am Bumpin' Binary show...

Aloha,

Brad

I learned today that I needed to request a pass for the NAC Theatre performances way earlier than I had thought.   I asked today about the show and was told that they'd see what they could do. It would be a popular show and entry would be unlikely.  An hour later I had an email with an e-ticket from the super kind media rep.  I was let in just before gold pass holders, to my surprise, and grabbed an aisle seat in the front row.  Photographers were instructed that we had 20 minutes (1 song lol) to get what we needed and to take our seats.   The caveat was once that we parked for photos, we couldn't move.  I noticed from the seat that I would have a very tight frame to shoot with so I moved over to the far left aisle (centre aisles were banned) and sat on a stair.  I had one angle, but was able to get a good sense of the stage, albeit with little composition options.

I'd only heard of Kamasi the last month or so as people continually mentioned him as a show to catch.   I spaced until today, but was glad I asked and showed up with a camera.  After about 15 minutes from the opening blasts, I sat down with my seat neighbours and had many mind-blowing moments as he cycled through the musicians and gave them some time to show off their own compositions.   Kamasi is a great MC for a show. Lots of personal stories, punched up with humour, connecting him with everyone in the band, including his father who joined them for about 1/2 the set on flute and soprano sax (or a form of clarinet?).

On 6/17/2016 at 10:48 PM, bouche said:

Flat Earth Society should be spectacular in the late night tent.

"The band will play as a soundtrack to the 1919 silent slapstick comedy The Oyster Princess (directed by Ernst Lubitsch), itself a landmark for delightful excess in the ridiculous."

Aloha,

Brad