Jambands.ca

Essential Music DVD's ?

spacecowboy

Gov't Mule's Deepest End by far the best concert released dvd of the year...

Closing of Winterland is a verrrry close second...

On a side note as i was telling Booche, the new Vida Blue album is fantastic!! Head over heals above the first album... as well give a good listen to the Slip's Live Electric from this year... more great Slip!

The Last Waltz

Bob Dylan-Don't Look Back

Bob Dylan-30th Anniversary Concert

Risin'Low

Grateful Dead - View from the Vault 1-3(box set)

The Grateful Dead: Anthem to Beauty

Grateful Dead - Downhill From Here

Johnny Cash - The Anthology

Johnny Cash - The Man, His World, His Music

Willie Nelson - Live in Amsterdam

Eric Clapton - One More Car One More Rider

Eric Clapton - Live in Hyde Park

Eric Clapton - 24 Nights

These are all must owns:

The Kid's Are Alright ( Deluxe Edition ) - The Who

The Who @ The Isle Of Wight ( 1970 )

Monterey Pop ( Criterion Collection )

The Last Waltz

The Band Of Gypsies ( Jimi Hendrix... of course )

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Live @ The Elmocombo

Woodstock

Any Dead concert DVD

Stop Making Sense

Bonnaroo 2002

The Deepest End - Gov't Mule

Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Southpark

Allman Brothers Live @ The Great Woods

Rude Boy ( The Clash )

The Essential Clash

Rust Never Sleeps ( Neil & Crazy Horse )

The ones I seem to watch/listen to all the time are:

Pink Floyd - POMPEII

String Cheese - Fillmore

Blues Traveler - Red Rocks

Led Zeppelin - 2 disc set

David Gilmour in Concert

U2: Best Of 1990-2000

Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live

Roger Waters: Wall in Berlin

The Dead shows that have been released are cool too.

Colin

I am going to second or third some of these emotions:

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Live @ The Elmocombo (hey Jaimoe, arent you from TO, and shouldnt this be spelled as El Mocambo?)

Grateful Dead: View From The Vault 4

Grateful Dead: Closing Of Winterland

The Band: The Last Waltz

Gov't Mule: The Deepest End (fucking EPIC!)

(Phish: Live In Vegas, while musically cool, visually, it's frickin' weak)

Jaimoe, I really want to get Monterey Pop ( Criterion Collection ), but that price tag always makes me shudder, even though it is well worth the hundred dollar's........

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

I am going to second or third some of these emotions:

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Live @ The Elmocombo (hey Jaimoe, arent you from TO, and shouldnt this be spelled as El Mocambo?)

Jaimoe, I really want to get Monterey Pop ( Criterion Collection ), but that price tag always makes me shudder, even though it is well worth the hundred dollar's........

I've seen Monterey Pop at CD Replay for $89. I could get it even cheaper because I'm a preferred cusomer there.

As for me spelling the El Mo wrong, chalk that up to being tired and hanged-over! Plus, you have no business singling just me out for grammatical errors on this site. Spelling is often atrocious on the Sanctuary.

Missing some essentials:

Bob Marley -The Legend Live, Santa Barbara County Bowl, Nov 25/79.

amazing DVD, so much energy from the crowds, and espically the Man who not long after this show passed away, great quality footage, highly recommended.

Hendrix - Wild Blue Angel, at the Isle of Wight.

My opinion, way better quality footage, and amazing performance from the Experience, I know it's not the Gypsies but this kicks ass.

Allman Brothers - At the Beacon 2003

Just amazing flat out, these guys never ever cease to amaze me, the behind the scenes footage is sweet. i.e. The Warren and Derek acoustic jam.

No Neil?? Year of the Horse ! - A must have to truely see the band, at their best, and craziest of course, mad jams, backstage antics, and truely puts the perspective of these artists into the light. Neil is awesome in it.

Honourable mention:

Carl Perkins n Friends, Rockabilly Session: This DVD brings me back to the good ol' days of country rockabilly and blues, the whole show is Carl Perkins and friends getting together to jam on some of the oldies, guests Clapton, Ringo, Harrison, and tonnes of others.

I wont bother mention ones that have already be mentioned.....heres some others

Bass Day 98 (Victor Wooten)

Frank Zappa "we dont mess around" 1978

alice in chains "unplugged"

Phish "Bittersweet Motel"

Pink Floyd Classic Albums "the dark side of the moon"

Grateful Dead Classic Albums "Anthem to Beauty"

Hot Tuna "Acoustic Blues/Live at Sweetwater"

Yessongs

where did you guys find you copies of "rising low?" did you have to order it?

quote:

Originally posted by Jakis:

led zeppelin - how the west was won

I want to get an allman brothers dvd and a Jimi hendrix dvd....any recommendations

Get the Live @ The Great Woods ( 1992 ) and the new Allmans: Live At The Beacon ( 2003 ). I prefer the first one because it has Warren, Woody and Betts - the 2nd best Allmans' era ever.

But... their new DVD cathces them on a better night, with great DVD audio ( DTS ) and a more imaginitive song selection.

You can't go wrong with either release. Get both.

By-the-by, the Zeppelin DVD you mentioned is just called " Led Zeppelin ".

" How The West Was Won " is their latest excellent live CD release.

Guest Low Roller

Led Zeppelin

Probably the single best concert DVD ever released, this 2 DVD set chronicles live performances by Led Zeppelin from their early black and white TV appearances to their monumental 1975 show at Earl's Court. Highest recommendation if you're a LZ fan.

Grateful Dead- The Closing of Winterland

2 DVD set of the entire show. Any GD show that starts off with Sugar Mags & Scarlett>Fire is trouble, and this show is no exception. While I was in San Jose this past week, this show played on PBS daily, and I would watch it. It was wild to see a young nimble Garcia on stage. Amazingly Bobby even had a sense of style back then too, before the whole hot pants/ pennyloafer disaster.

Blind Melon- Letters From a Porcupine

Sigh. One only knows to what heights Blind Melon could have risen if not for the untimely death via heroin overdose of Shannon Hoon. I've never seen any live footage of Blind Melon before, so it was fun to watch this documentary on the band.

Concert footage includes various periods of the bands too short career. All their videos are also included on this DVD.

Jimi Hendrix- Isle of Wight

Probably not the best Jimi DVD out there, but honestly, is there a bad Jimi DVD? Watch Jimi control a record crowd at the Isle of Wight with every step he takes and every riff he plays.

The Stone Temple Pilots- Thank You

"Thank You" is basically a "best of" disc, but it includes a bonus DVD with TONS of awesome live footage. If you've ever been a fan of STP, then this DVD is a must.

The Doors- The Collection

This DVD is a collection of three seperate VHS tapes that went out of stock a long time ago.

"Dances on Fire" chronicles the bands initial rise to stardom through interviews, TV appearances (including the infamous Ed Sullivan show appearance), and backstage antics.

"Live at the Hollywood Bowl" is a concert recoding of the Doors in their prime.

"The Soft Parade" is a documentary of the making of their ground-breaking album with several killer live performances.

You like the Doors? You'll like this DVD.

Other recommendations:

Gov't Mule- The Deepest End

Bonnaroo 2002

This is Spinal Tap (thanks for reminding me of that one Sniffer, if that is your *real* name.)

And although I've never watched it I'm sure A Hard Day's Night is pretty good too.

Archived