Jambands.ca

Ask "hamilton" a question.

MarcO

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are all the (measurable) dimensionless parameters that characterize the physical

universe calculable in principle or are some merely determined by historical or quantum

mechanical accident and uncalculable? Einstein put it more crisply: did God have a choice

in creating the universe? Imagine the Old One sitting at his control console, preparing to set

off the Big Bang. "How fast should I set the speed of light?" "How much charge should I

give this little speck called an electron?" "What value should I give to Planck's constant, the

parameter that determines the size of the tiny packets -- the quanta -- in which energy shall be

parceled?" Was he randomly dashing off numbers to meet a deadline? Or do the values have

to be what they are because of a deep, hidden logic?

....Riddle me THAT.

Originally posted by SolarGarlic:

Are all the (measurable) dimensionless parameters that characterize the physical

universe calculable in principle or are some merely determined by historical or quantum

mechanical accident and uncalculable? Einstein put it more crisply: did God have a choice

in creating the universe? Imagine the Old One sitting at his control console, preparing to set

off the Big Bang. "How fast should I set the speed of light?" "How much charge should I

give this little speck called an electron?" "What value should I give to Planck's constant, the

parameter that determines the size of the tiny packets -- the quanta -- in which energy shall be

parceled?" Was he randomly dashing off numbers to meet a deadline? Or do the values have

to be what they are because of a deep, hidden logic?

....Riddle me THAT.

Originally posted by Blane:

what was your favorite snack selection from the street vendors of Seoul? The twigim (fried shit), dok bok gi, those waffles with whipped cream? Did you ever buy shit off the subway Chon-won vendors?

I was pretty big on o-dang (sp?). The broth you dip it in is great, too. There was an unlicensed (illegal) cart at the end of the gyormo-gil where I worked, and she was there every workday except Thursdays, because Thursday was the day that the city permit inspector would come around. Every Thursday. Most of those carts are unlicensed, as you can imagine.

No dried or fried squid/cuttlefish for me, thank you! Tried it, but no good. I even tried live squid one time. It was about as bad as it sounds.

I never bought anything in the subways, aside from the odd pack of gum from those little booths on the platform. And subway tickets, of course.

"Originally posted by Booche:

Well?

I used to be on one when I lived in the countryside. My father dowsed it himself (no shit, he did the three houses next to ours, too). Now that i live in the city, I'm on a water main like everyone else.

(Sorry Booche, I couldn't get the clip to play properly.)"

Here you go:

"If I am not me, who the hell am I?"

Originally posted by MarcO:

A friend of mine asked me to ask you: Is it healthy to masturbate an average of fourteen times a day?

This is for a friend.

Dear paisley:

If you feel that you are physically capable of masturbating fourteen times a day, go for it. Shainhouse says he's been averaging that since '96, and for some reason I believe him. I don't think this particualr frequency is recommended for the average person, though - especially if you are in a public place.

Hope this helps.

An allotetraploid species has a genome comprised of 2 ancestral genomes, A and B, each of which are x=7. The allotetraploid species shows strict autosyndesis during meiosis. Resistance to a foliar pathogen is controlled by the dominand allele at the F locus, but the resistance alleles present in the 2 genomes have slightly diffrent effects. Plants at least heterozygous for the A^F allele are resistant to races 1 and 2 of the pathogen regardless of the genotype in the B genome, and plants at least heterozygous for the B^F allele are resistant to races 1 and 3 of the pathogen regardless of the genotype in the A genome. What proportion of the self progeny of an A^F A^f B^F B^f plant will be resistant to all three races of the pathogen?

A) 15/16 B) 9/16 C) 5/36 D) 3/4 E) none of the above.

P.S. Can you reply soon so I can turn your answer in with my genetics report tomorrow? Cool thanks Hamilton

What's the noun form of the verb "to configure"? By this, I mean, what word would you use to refer to someone (or something) configuring something?

For example, with the verb, "to talk", the noun form of someone talking is "talker"; just add 'er' to the verb, and you're done.

But this doesn't work for "configure": you end up with "configurer", which sounds terrible. "Configurator" might work, but it sounds clunky.

Aloha,

Brad

Originally posted by bradm:

what word would you use to refer to someone (or something) configuring something?

Easy, just refer to that person by their proper name, like Andy, Susan or Jim - or an acceptable nickname, like Slim, Lefty, Dutch or Red. Or an unacceptable nickname, like asswipe. As in, "This is that asswipe Andy, the guy who configures my whatsit."

Originally posted by Low Roller:

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Are you kidding? Everybody knows a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. Next you'll be wanting to know why she sells seashells by the seashore.

Archived