Jambands.ca

Where can I find a WOODEN XYLOPHONE?

Blurry

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

If I'm not mistaken, you're looking for a marimba. I think by definition xylophones are metal whereas marimbas are wood.

Waiting to be corrected.

Your wait is over. Google's definition* of 'xylophone' brings up (among a few others):

quote:

a percussion instrument with wooden bars tuned to produce a chromatic scale and with resonators; played with small mallets

Also, my copy of "Webster's Super New School and Office Dictionary" defines 'xylophone' as

quote:

a musical instrument that consists of a graduated series of wooden bars...

'Marimba' is defined as

quote:

a musical instrument resembling the xylophone

As to the original question, have you tried eBay?

Aloha,

Brad

* To turn Google into your own 'defining slave', type "define:" and then the term you want defined into the search box.

Hey Babs,

We used to have one that was imported from Africa, made of wood and large shells to catch the sound. It had 12 notes and was pretty close to the notes they were supposed to represent. I believe it was pricey at $400.00 or so but I've seen them around KW in some of the import type stores (right near the dideridos and rainsticks).

peace,

Cary

If not mistaken I think the Wassabi folks constructed the ones they were using .Take alook around take some pictures and try it out or maybe someone on the site has some good shots of Wassabi's then use that as a blue print.Try e-mailing the Wassabi folks they could help you out.

Seeya Saturday

No BradM, I haven't tried Ebay yet.....will do that. Thanks!!

Ya Velvet, I wasn't too sure of the proper name so I did my search on google and came up with the same definitions as BradM. Figured, adding "wooden" in front of xylophone would get the idea across that I'm not too keen on the metal bars. Velvet, you serious about the Ottawa Folklore Centre? (ie - you think they'd have some they're looking to get rid of?)

Good point C-twons.......I'll get out my plaid jacket, axe and sheep-fuckers and head out for a good ol' tree ass-whoopin'

Hey Babsy, give a shout to Soul Drums in North York:

http://www.souldrums.com/

They've even got an 800 number if you're not in the TO dialing area.

I'm not totally sure about xylophones/marimbas, but they certainly have other kinds of tuned percussion there. And they're very helpful, if they can't get it there I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some leads.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived