DVD of the Year - DMB, Central Park Concert

Studio Album of the Year - moe. Wormwood

Tour of the Year - Phish summer

New Groove - P. Breakfast

Live Performance - GMule w/ guests 05-03-03

Album Cover - SCI Untying The not

Live album - GMule, Deepest End

Song of the Year - ABB, Old Before My Time

Just got back from the show....there were some fantastic collaborations for sure, I nearly lost my shit when the re-united Crowes guys hit the first note of "Sometimes Salvation" with the Mule.....that was amazing, let me say (although, I always loved the hell out of that album). The highlights for me were:

The other Mule stuff, of course: Warren did a rocking job of the "Southern Man" riffy stuff, and traded verses of both that and the Sometimes Salvation with Chris Robinson.

Derek Trucks Band: Trucks, I don't have to say anything, amazingly tasty as always, but holy shit, Solomon Burke, what a voice!

I really liked Perry Farrell's sit-in with SCI, although it looked really weird and unnatural at first (and saying this with Kung around is like dropping the soap in jail).

Steve Winwood's stuff was all fantastic; seriously, his voice was spot on and his band was killer.

But, the biggest highlight was of course:

VICTOR AND OTEIL!! I'm not going to ramble on here, my eyes are half sunken into my head after the all night drive, but, my God, I haven't felt like that about music in a long time. Probably since the Pat Metheny Group 2 years ago at the Hummingbird Centre. Just the most intensely MUSICAL playing that I have been fortunate enough to witness, my jaw was on the floor, and I would spontaneously double over with laughter at how damn good it was...especially Victor(drummer was no slouch, either!!). Anyway, I hope that the DVD does those moments justice, I am looking forward to seeing them again.

I'm going to bed.....

I can barely form a sentence What a NIGHT!!! All award shows should be run like that, minimal speaking and lots of music, great music...Oteil and Victor was mindblowing, and that Derico Watson, was he ever given'r on the drums, totally meshed with the insanity bass jam perfectly, even had his own Killer solo!!!

Loved the Dickey/Reid stuff, though we missed most of it, caught half of Blue Sky, Dickey was still relaively sober so it kick ass, Ramblin was wicked

The funk jam was kick ass, DTB was incredible, Bisco sucked, String Cheese was good, a little odd combo with Perry Farrell, but well done.. would have perfered a Janes Addiction cover, fuck it.

Gov't Mule and Chris Robinson and Black Crows reunion... holy shit, Southern Man and Sometimes Salvation were Epic, in the truest sense.

Wicked 5000 person sing along to Closing of Winterland on the big screens (Scarlet Begonnias) its nice ot be in a room that big where everyone knows the words

Biggest surprise of the night (besides Al and Gordo being there and the reunion of course)Was not only did Steve Winwood play but he played with Traffic, Dear Mr. Fantasy was awesome, the superjam at the end was great, a couple of glitches, Kang's violin wasn't audible at all and Robert Randolph almost plowed through him at one point...started at 8pm and ended at 1am, now thats a good way to spend a night, what a show, and the best part is.....It's going to be released on DVD!!!![big Grin]

Afterparty was pretty good, Jon Gutwillig (guitar) and Marc Brownstein (bass) of THE DISCO BISCUITS and Jamie Shields (keys) of THE NEW DEAL

Did the Bisco/tND thing with a little help from Billy Nershi, and the horn section from Topaz(?)...I feel a needed a lot more drugs and a lot more patience to get into the Biscuits.

Thanks to the other weary traveller for a great time, lets do it again next year [big Grin]

I already wanna go to the Jammy's next year. Hellish trip down - 45 minute border pull-in, hit an ugly "police advise not to drive unless absolutely necessary" snowstorm, got there late, halfway through Edie Brickell.

I was blown away by Soloman Burke, What a voice, and obviously a very seasoned performer.

Southern Man was perfect. The more Warren the better, it seems.

The bass drum jam had me totally enthralled from beginning to end. Money and gumdrops could have fallen from the sky for all I would have noticed. It was really and truly astounding. I've seen Wooten before, but this was ridiculous. Those three guys probably have more chops than everybody else on the stage that night put together, I mean, it was as world class as it gets. Haven't felt that way about music in a few years. Close, but not the bliss that that was. As soon as it ended I turned to gaping Chris and said, "Let it fuckin' snow, this trip was worth it." And I was right.

The whole show was great, the MSG theatre is great, a good experience all around.

As usual, Dave had the most fun, and hence got the most drunk.

Thanks FreeknutsByTheSpeaknuts, peipunk, and Velvet for sharing your excitement from the event. It sounds like it was an incredible event.

The thought of Victor playing in that setting, with another fantastic bass player and a great drummer, makes me tingle with excitement.

Peace, Mark

Once again, everyone joined everybody..........(from Jambands.com)

As is tradition at the Jammys, several surprise collaborations occurred throughout last night's show in New York City, most-notably the reunion of Black Crowes members Chris Robinson, Rich Robinson and Eddie Harsch during Gov’t Mule’s set.

The night kicked off with an uplifting performance of “Higher & Higher” by the Harlem Gospel Choir, which was soon joined by an expanded version of Soulive. The trio welcomed vocalist Reggie Watts of Maktub, trumpeter Rashawn Ross, tenor saxophonist Ryan Zoidis, alto saxophonist Cochemea “Cheme” Gastelum and percussionist Danny Sadownick. This line-up is currently in the studio with Soulive working on the group’s new album, due later this year. The band - and choir - played “Stop Messing Around,” a song that will appear on the forthcoming disc, and “Fast Maceo” (sans choir).

Next up was Reid Genauer and the Assembly of Dust with Dickey Betts and Edie Brickell. The set began with an unnamed ditty that Brickell and the members of the Assembly of Dust wrote backstage while warming up moments before the show. It was followed by two Betts classics, “Blue Sky” and “Ramblin Man." Brickell and Genauer added backing vocals on both and AOD guitarist Adam Terrell played the second guitar lines.

The Disco Biscuits launched headfirst into their own “Rock Candy,” jammed for a bit, and then welcomed Slick Rick for his old school hip hop anthem, “La-Di-Da-Di.” The band then returned to “Rock Candy” to close its mini-set. (Flavor Flav was originally scheduled to join the biscuits, but he respectfully declined over the last week. Rahzel was then booked, but could not make the gig due to last night's snowstorm in the Northeast).

Dr. John, Toots Hibbert (Toots and Maytals), bassist George Porter Jr. (Funky Meters), guitarist Brian Stoltz (Funky Meters), and drummer Matt Abts (Gov't Mule) then took the stage for a New Orleans-tinged set that included “Right Place Wrong Time,” “Pressure Drop” and “Hey Pocky Way,” with Widespread Panic keyboardist JoJo Hermann on the latter.

The Derek Trucks Band featured vocalist Solomon Burke for “I Wish I Knew What it Was to be Free” and “Home in Your Heart.” Trucks’ wife, Susan Tedeschi, along with Dickey Betts, then joined in for “Turn on Your Lovelight.”

Two of the planet’s most gifted musicians, Victor Wooten and Oteil Burbridge, put on a bass clinic along with drummer Derico Watson (the trio performed a week of shows in Japan recently). The set was one continuous improvisational suite, featuring alternating solos, and of course, a few scat solos from Burbridge.

The String Cheese Incident opened its portion of the night with the instrumental “Valley of the Jig” and “’Round the Wheel.” Jane's Addiction front man Perry Farrell, of all people, then emerged for “Idiots Rule,” which also included the Soulive horn section. (Speaking of unexpected collaborations, SCI guitarist Bill Nershi sat in with JM2 featuring members of The Disco Biscuits and The New Deal at the official Jammys after-party at B.B. Kings.)

Following Gov’t Mule’s staple, “Blind Man in the Dark,” one of the biggest surprises of the night occurred when Black Crowes members Chris Robinson, Rich Robinson and Eddie Harsch shared the stage for the first time since June of 2001 on the Crowes’ “Sometimes Salvation” (the band has been officially on hiatus since January of 2002). Earlier in the set, Chris Robinson joined the Mule for a rousing rendition of Neil Young’s “Southern Man.”

Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Steve Winwood and his band took the stage for the evening’s finale, which opened with “Different Light.” Winwood strapped on a guitar and took a lively solo on “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” before moving back to keyboards for “Low Spark of High Heeled Boys,” which featured Warren Haynes on guitar. For the final jam of the night, Betts and String Cheese Incident’s Michael Kang returned to the stage, along with the show’s host, Robert Randolph who played guitar, and saxophonist James Carter for “Gimme Some Lovin'," one of Winwood's oldest hits, which he wrote at age 15 while in The Spencer Davis Group.

Archived