Jambands.ca

QOTD: Is there any music/bands that you...

Tungsten Gruvsten

Gotcha on the Lemonjelly thing Weezy-they are fuggin incredible....if you like them then I suggest Blue States...it's like LemonJelly meets Tortoise....I'd say TortoiseJelly but it sounds rude...although it's probably an aphrodisiac in some country...

Anyhoo, i've got a couple more to add...

Mercury Rev - been a fan since Yerself Is Steam, they are intertwined with Flaming Lips and share a similar sonic spectrum segment...hehe say that fast...

Red Snapper - OMf'ingG these guys are amazing-light years ahead of the current crop of bands-doing-electronica....managed to see them live before they broke up...check out the album "Prince Blimey"

Howie B - Bjorks' husband is an awesome artist and remixer himself, check out his dub work with Sly and Robbie or his best album, Turn the Dark Off(even has Robbie Robbertson on it!)

Marc Moulin- king of the rhodes! more time signature changes than you know how to deal with...

Can - German 70's craziness...umm, all over the map really as line-up changed throughout the decade, but there are some amazing gems in there. Jaki Liebezeit makes Bill Bruford look like a sloppy drummer...

Macdonald & Giles - I can't get enough of this self-titled release...long out of print, i have a vinyl version and managed to mailorder a japanese copy, but this is the highlight of my classic rock collection-Ex-King Crimson members create a masterpiece of progressive/funky/jazziness-epic like DSOTM, so unbelievably well recorded...Steve Winwood steps in on keys on a couple tunes even...

X (although the photographer who shot the cover to my old band's first tape had a copy of Live At The Whisky-a-Go-Go)

Van Der Graaf Generator

Can (well, me and Tungsten)

Long Fin Killie

The Fall

Placebo

Crime & The City Solution

The Birthday Party

Gentle Giant

Captain Beyond

Strangelove

Gene Clark

Velvet Crush

Tindersticks

Sundial

Til Tuesday (their third album was awesome)

Gomez

The Posies

The High Llamas

My Scarlet Life

Therapy?

Fields of the Nephilim

Rob Not Bob

I've been listening to Lemon Jelly pretty constantly ever since the last "What Are You Listening To These Days" thread when Warren suggested them.... Thanks alot!

I listen to Helix.. I'm pretty sure no one else on here would want to. (hehe)

Early 20th century impressionist composers (Ravel, Bartok, Debussy).. Anyone else?

i'm a huge Ravel/Debussy fan...Bolero being one of my all time fave classical pieces of any era.

Have you seen Allegro Non Tropo? It's an Italian send-up of Disney's Fantasia....it will change the way you think of Bolero for sure.

(On a side note, everyone should see this 70's flick it's a masterpiece!)

Side note: one of the guys in Helix is a janitor at KCI highschool in Kitchener, the singer performs at weddings and teaches vocal lessons....weird world eh?

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

[QB]i'm a huge Ravel/Debussy fan...Bolero being one of my all time fave classical pieces of any era.

Have you seen Allegro Non Tropo? It's an Italian send-up of Disney's Fantasia....it will change the way you think of Bolero for sure.

(On a side note, everyone should see this 70's flick it's a masterpiece!)QB]

Hmm, haven't heard of this but I'll definitely check it out! I saw the Peterborough Symphony Orchestra a few weeks ago and they did Ravel's Mother Goose Suite - it was excellent!

Yeah, Helix is still a band but just barely. Brian Vollmer (lead singer) is the only remaining original member and he's very devoted. Check out their killer website!! Fun Helix fact: Helix participated in the final show at the closing of one of Canada's most famous rock clubs, The Gasworks.

Jay, we gotta get together and pilfer each other's collections.... Very similar tastes, from what you put here... Although just a fraction of what I listen to...

Manu Chao - Spanish / French guy with wicked band with horn section, equal parts Clash, Marley, and Spanish ska / metal / rocksteady. I've turned NorthernWish onto this guy, maybe he'll pipe up and support me on this one...

Slum Village - For Jamoie who was talking Nappy Roots and regular Roots - these guys are good too.

RJD2 - GentleMonkey, check him out. Kind of a poor man's DJ Shadow. Not terribly original, but great beats. He's at Bonnaroo too...

There's an old band from Cali called the Warlocks, although they recently changed their name... Check 'em out, not sure if they're that known 'up here'.

ad

"Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan"

Wow, I used to have this KILLER tape!

Its been a long time since we were aquainted.

Esau, once again, we need to talk.............. [Wink]

I listen to TAB, love TAB, and I feel like the only one. Aside from that, I can pretty much think of at least one person on this board for each of the hundreds of artists I have. Either they turned me on to them, or vice-versa.

... listen to that you believe no else you know listens to ( especially on the Sanctuary )?

Here's a few of mine:

1 - Televison: ( although I did buy a copy of Marquee Moon for Booche last Christmas - not sure if he's had the time to listen to it yet ).

2 - Sonny Sharock: Late, great avant-garde jazz guitarist.

3 - The Hellecopters: Swedish hard-rock band.

4 - The (International) Noise Conspiracy: Swedish punk-mod band. Mr. Musicface may listen to this band, although I've never met him.

5 - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives: A great rock band. Mr. Musicface probably listens to this band too.

I forgot two acts that I think I only listen to:

1 - Mike Bouchard's Bucket Of Barrett's Bad Brains: A really good band. They are worth checking out if you can find their stuff.

2 - The Dave Barrett Experience Vol. I: Great music from this underground 3rd trumpet master.

3 - Andre Bouchard box-set called: The One Front Tooth Years ( 1987-2001 ). Acoustic guitar strumming and with French singing. Very Rene Simard sounding.

Archived