Jambands.ca

Classic Albums Live in Toronto - Grateful Dead!

Basher

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touche Velvet.

Re: Jaimoe, gimmicky is exactly what these shows are, thank you. There was something about these Classic Albums Live things that irked me, and that's exactly what it is.

I'll say this, though. I haven't see one of these shows yet (when I was living in Toronto, it always seems cheaper and better to go see a local, original band), but I would be open to seeing Who's Next, which they did last year, or the night where they did Rubber Soul and Revolver. Those are records that I can appreciate on the vinyl or plastic just as much as I can appreciate the live performance (not that there is any Rubber Soul or Revolver material that was ever performed live...but I digress...). In the past I know Mike Daley was involved with a few of these dealies, specifically the Beatles ones (they did the White Album last year too). Hamiltonians will recognize his name as a guy who used to play with the Eggmen years ago, and has gigged around town solo and as Mike Daley and Friends. Also taught popular music at Mac. He's an awesome performer and worth catching.

As for this Dead silliness, it's clearly an aim at bilking mild-to-moderate Q107 listeners slash Dead fans out of 15 bucks, when I bet 99% of them don't know that they can go out and catch Caution Jam and have a wicked good time and probably hear the tunes played better anyway!

And don't forget the Genesis equivalent: Musical Box.

I'll take the bait! ;)

Seeing as how the original concerts they recreate also had the aim to reproduce the music note-for-note, I don't think many Genesis fans have a problem with this. Are they going against the spirit of rock'n'roll? I don't think it matters. I know what I'm getting when I see the band and I'm not looking for the spirit of rock'n'roll.

Heck, most original bands don't even capture the spirit of rock'n'roll anymore.

I'm always looking for the spirit of rock and roll when I go see a live band.

I wanna hear something:

New

Different

Personal

Exclusitory

Dangerous if possible

and it's gotta make my chest feel like exploding.

The White, The Blushing Brides, DSO, The Back Doors, Elvis impersonators, and The Cast from Beatlemania (all acts I have seen) doesn't do that for me. If it does it for you, good for you, and especially good for the easy-ridin' copycat musicians who claim their heroes royalties as their own.

Trey Anastasio once said something along the lines of, "if you take what you should from the Dead, you won't sound like them at all" and I agree with him entirely.

This is an entirely different philospohy from bands such as Genesis, who strived for immaculately perfect performances.

Trey Anastasio once said something along the lines of, "if you take what you should from the Dead, you won't sound like them at all" and I agree with him entirely.

This is an entirely different philospohy from bands such as Genesis, who strived for immaculately perfect performances.

here here

still enjoy a good cover band like Caution Jam or Rose Garland but I find they aren't afraid extend a song their own way, which to me remains somewhat in the spirit of things... not copy a version of a song from July 9, 1977 exactly... the positive thing I see coming from a band of thrown togethers covering that live dead album is actually for the band's sake, as they get to take a really close look at some really well done music... I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for this show at all, but if I won tickets or something I'd consider it just to see how well (or all wrong) it all goes over

all that said, when I want to hear some Dead played live the best place for me is on summer tour listening to Phil dropping bombs and the drummers soaring, Bobby being Bobby and all that combined with the new players creating yet more new lines and colors and avenues (and affecting the weather)... that the Dead themselves don't hire players who want to sound just like Jerry or Brent or Keith or Pigpen keeps it alive for me

In a TMNS show, we play musical pieces that were performed by the Grateful Dead, and we attempt to play them in the same style as that band would have. That leaves plenty of space for interpretation and improvisation, which to me is the most wonderful part of the 'Dead's legacy. Our group formed in '95 to play a musical tribute when Jerry passed away. No one knew we would still be together 9 years later! Personally, the last thing I wanted to do musically was to be in a cover band. Somehow, though, covering the music of the Grateful Dead is

different than any other. Some of you will know what I mean...

i SOOOOOO wish i was there for that paisley!!!! but instead i was up north.... but man, what a night to be up north! i bet that was amazing!

(was joel on the kit?)

nope, had a smokin drummer I've never seen before... except for Colin, the whole band were pretty rare to see playing out (recognized a few of them but they more play in jazz bands etc. usually)

Actually, I heard that Peter Gabriel joined Muscial Box on stage. I still wouldn't go.

If you love Peter Gabriel era Genesis and haven't seen The Musical Box then you are missing out big time! I've seen them a few times and it is like a time warp to seeing Genesis back in 1972-1974 depending on what Musical Box show they are doing.

The Musical Box are authorized by Genesis and Peter Gabriel. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Tour that the Musical Box does includes the 1,100 slides from the original Genesis tour.

I'll be seeing them at Massey Hall on Saturday November 20 and I can't wait!

i SOOOOOO wish i was there for that paisley!!!! but instead i was up north.... but man, what a night to be up north! i bet that was amazing! (was joel on the kit?)

nope, had a smokin drummer I've never seen before... except for Colin, the whole band were pretty rare to see playing out (recognized a few of them but they more play in jazz bands etc. usually)

I am also seriously regretting missing that show. Just to put my mind at ease, they were on and off early, right?

Speaking of cover bands, check out this link:

http://beatallica.com/

definatley the most creative and funniest cover band around! Be sure to download some of their MP3s!

Yeah,one of the entertaining bands that play Metallica (I love em actuacully),but for the real expirence of a "origianl" cover check out apocolypitica.

Four chellos (only).All Metallica.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for starting a redundant thread...i did a search for this and didn't find it.

anyway.

my name is mike daley, and i'm the music director of the classic albums live grateful dead show on dec 16 at the Phoenix. i read the comments left here and i just want to clear up some misconceptions about this show. though we usually do note-for-note recitals of these albums, in the case of the dead show we're breaking from that. i have been a dead fan since 82, when i saw my first show in rochester. i saw the dead 10 times and played for years in a dead-style band, doing the 'jerry' parts. we decided not to do a specific album for this, because as has been noted, there is no one classic dead album. the dead were largely about the shows. so what we've done is put together a night of what we think is some of their best songs, played by a killer band with all of the riffs, textures, vocal harmonies of the dead, with improvisation in the style of the band. if you've actually heard any of the classic albums live shows then you know that we can't be compared to regular 'tribute' bands. certainly it is different from going to see an original band in your hometown. we are devoted to finding the essence of these albums, the feeling behind them, not just the notes. to drag out an old cliche, it's all about the music. if you love the music of the dead, we are doing our best to reproduce the live experience, with extreme attention to detail that will satisfy the most demanding purist, while providing a hugely entertaining show for anyone. we are not beholded to the q107 demographic or anybody else besides people like us, who love the DEAD.

anyway, that's my rant, from a biased commentator. come see the show and you'll see what i mean.

mike