Jambands.ca

Big Guy's Right Hand Man gone?

Kaidy Mae

Here's something I've been wondering: people are praying for the Pope to recover*. Let's assume he doesn't, and dies in the very near future. Assuming God exists, wouldn't that imply that God either couldn't intervene successfully (which implies he's not omnipotent), or didn't want to? Either way, the Pope's death must be taken as evidence that God wanted him in heaven at this point in time.

But that would imply that people were praying for something that was going against God's wishes! How good can that be?

Aloha,

Brad

* Even this alone is a bit weird: why pray? It can't be to let God know the Pope's sick, because God knows everything, and it can't be to express individual desire for his recovery, because, again, God knows everything.

The timing couldn't be more apt, considering he had a feeding tube inserted. The difference is that he's cogent enough to say "Kill me", and fortunate enough to know that the official version will be "he died peacefully and ascended to the Promised Land"

There are very strict rules about this... No lobbying, no promises, no discussing with others, no communication with outside world during election, etc etc etc... All under threat of ex-communication.

Power-brokers in the RC Church are impotent when electing a Pope.

AD

Here's something I've been wondering: people are praying for the Pope to recover*. Let's assume he doesn't, and dies in the very near future. ...... why pray? It can't be to let God know the Pope's sick, because God knows everything, and it can't be to express individual desire for his recovery, because, again, God knows everything.

I would imagine the act of prayer is not simply for recovery but for safe passage to the other side and a minimum of suffering, an exercise in love, respect and compassion.

According to unconfirmed reports at google.ca news, it seems the Pope has already passed on.

um, have you seen the vatican, the outfits he wears and the posessions of the catholic church in general?

what about the whole ring kissing thing?

Seems to me like he's just fulfilling his job. I think tradition is separate from pomposity.

And the man is close to death, I'm not gonna speak ill of him.

AD

i don't mean him as an individual. i'm sure he's a great guy, (he is polish ;) ) i just don't like the values that are promoted by having such ostentatious posessions and traditions when the founder of the religion preached a completely contrary set of values. think how much good could be done in the world with the financial resources of the catholic church. if instead of buying jewels and other displays of wealth and power the church could set up sustainable farming all over the world to feed the hungry. (just for example) if the church were to do this they could actually live up to their claims of being concerned with the fate of people instead of just being money and power hungry.

i just don't like the values that are promoted by having such ostentatious posessions and traditions when the founder of the religion preached a completely contrary set of values. think how much good could be done in the world with the financial resources of the catholic church.

That was pretty much what tweaked Martin Luther, when he went to St Peter's in Rome while it was under construction (in its present form); the opulence - in addition to the theological scam of indulgences which were intended to bankroll St. Peter's - revolted him, and made him protest.

But then, what does Luther go and and do but back the aristocracy years down the road when the peasants get too uppity demanding a bigger slice of the pie.

Catholics in the 20th c., meanwhile, have produced some pretty astonishing things (often in spite of their popes), like Liberation Theology in Latin America, which underscores the "preferential option for the poor" that the Second Vatican Council distilled from scripture in the 1960s, or peacemaking teams like the ones that put themselves in place in Iraq as human shields. And then you've got rich-bastard groups like Opus Dei to counteract all that. Protestantism in the developing world, meanwhile, has started to overtake Catholicism with a health-and-wealth brand of Pentecostalism that (I like to think) would have made the young Luther rethink his whole project.

Kinda bleak, in terms of what it says about human nature, but I keep thinking that was part of the original Christian message, too - that power fecks things up, and should be avoided completely in favour of love. That's why I tend to think the job of Pope is an impossible one - it's so subject to all those magnetic currents of politics and self-interest. I think the most interesting times of this current papacy have been those when he's tried to make a point of being more authentic than his job requires.