Jambands.ca

Long Lost Loves

guigsy

hey folks.

so i was thinkin' this weekend about bands i used to love going to see that simply arent around anymore. more specifically, local bands, from around town that used be great to go out and see in the city, bands that little city scenes formed around and always provided a great nite out when they played..

im curious what other local faves from around ontario, the maritimes and out west have made an impact on you folks.. some bands that arent around anymore but you'd love to see JUST ONE MORE TIME!

rules of the game, they had to be local to your town, and must now be defunct...

for me, it'd be Zuul's Evil Disco. a staple here in London in the late 90's early 00's, rockin' funk and fun as hell! i'd love to see the line-up that they had right around the turn of the century again one more time! they used to put on an amazing live show, tons of crowd interaction, and some damn good songs, too! lots of sexy funk schtick, too... ahh, i miss Zuul's... one of the best live bands i've seen in a bar.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw them, and have only heard about them from people who saw them back in the day, but Ottawa's "The Freeway Band" seem to garner a lot of respect from those who saw them. I've seen members Mike Hopkins and Beau Dixon (with their bands, The Forumula and King Cordova, respectively), and been impressed by them, but I'd like to TFB at least once.

Aloha,

Brad

rules of the game, they had to be local to your town, and must now be defunct...

Local to my town? Jesus Guigs, the only good thing to ever come out of this town was Hwy 400. :P

I used to see Jazzberry Ram (from Van) a lot when I first moved to the Tdot as a teenager. They were almost sickeningly pop-like, but so fun to see live. Great energy! I don't think they're quite "defunct", but they sure aren't up to a whole lot (hence their Tour Dates section listing gigs from 2003 awhile back...tres confusing :blush:).

Okay, I broke both of the rules there...oops! I'm sure there are more, but none are coming to mind right now. Whatever happened to Tristan Psionic and the Sonic Unyon crew? Weren't they from the Hammer? Saw them at the Riv a few times. Not enough to say I miss them though.

Freak By Night stole one of mine.

I don't really know where "my" city is, and I think I have a few, but...

If my city is Ottawa: (Freeway Band) and of course BOB LOBLAW!!!

If Vancouver: She Stole My Beer (although they pop up now and then for reunion shows)

If Toronto: Days of You

If Whistler: Dark Star (although I never did actually see them, but have heard good things.)

(I don't count Kingston :P )

Oh yeah, although not from my hometown I really miss One Step Beyond.

Good call! Those guys sure knew how to tear it up. Sadly, I just started getting into them and they were done not too long after. One of my favourite bands to see in the Tdot for sure...even when backing other acts (Merle at the Comfort Zone...sweet!).

Does Alec Fraser still play with Jerome at all (other than with Jimmy Bowskill)? I remember sweating my ass off to One Monkey at Chicago's back in the day.

Me fucking too Kaidy Mae. I used to go see them there and occasionally at the CoZone for a full year or so. God they were good. I'm not sure who Alec Fraser is but T-Bone was always the standout for me.

"I smoke my peace pipe I smoke it right"

Awesome! I used to hit "the Zone" and Grossman's to see those cats. Alec played bass and (over) produced the One Monkey album. Jerome's first disc is far more raw (with songs like Antsy), filthy and better captures his "bar sound". I'm going to have to do some investigating and see if these boys are coming back around.

I think the last time I saw a show billed as Jerome Godboo it was at an Irish pub in Orillia. That could've been the final nail in the coffin. :( Poor bastard!

St. Catharines - Buddha's Don't Box

Ha! I may be able to get you a show on disc.I'll email my buddy in St.Catherines,I believe he is friend with a couple of the guys.Wow,that brought up some funny memories...thanks CH.

While not a named band per se, the people, regulars, occasionals, and one-timers, who came to Cafe Dekcuf on Tuesday nights for "Jammer Tuesdaze" between 2003-01 and (the end of) 2003-09 accounted for a lot of the fun I had in 2003. (I think I missed three of the nights across the nine months it was in operation.)

Aloha,

Brad