Jambands.ca

What Are You Reading?

SteveThe Owl

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Frey guy brought my mind to a book I read a few years ago called The Education Of Little Tree by Forrest Carter. Anyone read that?

It's an autobiography about a kid who was raised in the woods by his native American grandparents, and it's a beautiful read.

Only it was discoved after the author died that he wasn't native after all, in fact he was a wanted racial terrorist and he led his own KKK group. Despite all this the book carries no warning and is still often catagorised as nonfiction.

now i'm not sure what i'm going to start today, i have a good stack of books i haven't read yet, i'm debating between two of Margaret Atwood's (Blind Assasin and Good Bones), A Prayer for Owen Meaney, Much Ado About Nothing, and Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. Oh, and the Time in Between, the Giller Winner from this year.

prayer for owen meany is a great book. john irving is one of my favourite contemporary authors- he tells such cool stories. i loved the 'world according to garp' and 'a son of the cirus'.

i just finished reading 'state of blood: the inside story of idi amin' which may have been one of the most disturbing books i think i've read to date. man that guy was caarazy. like, seriously.

bokonon, i'm definitely going to finish the book...i've never not finished a book. well, ok, only twice in my life. i'm just taking my time with it.

i love prayer for owen meany too, and outlander is awesome! it's good fantasy for girls ;) i got into her books and i just got the 2 newest ones, which i haven't started yet. i am looking forward to them though!

almost always used. my mom works at a hospice shop which sells 50cent books, and they have good ones (well, ones i like!) so i always stock up when i go there.

in ottawa i stop into the book bazaar on bank street sometimes...it's more like 5$ for a book but still cheaper than buying them new.

:)

i can remember listening to Mordechai Richler in an interview one time, he was at a swanky dinner at Harbourfront or something and was approached by an adoring fan, they got to talking and it ended abruptly when she said that her name was at the top of the list at the library for when his latest novel came out

that said i'm probably 70-30, used-new

Edited by Guest
salty snacks

I'm in the middle of Magical Mystery Tours: My Life With the Beatles, by Tony Bramwell, who was a boyhood friend of George's, he was underage when the fab four got started, so he carried George's guitar to get in, and he went on to be one of Brian Epstein's first employees.

It's a good read so far. It's not too gossipy, the major insights being into some of the horrible business deals Epstein made.

New or used? The majority of my reading comes from the vast library the wife has in our basement!

Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events Part 4 : The Austere Academy ... yes, I am a loser.

why, because it's a kids book? WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! some of the best stories (and best writing!) around are within kids books. i haven't read any lemony snicket yet, but after seeing the movie, i really, really want to. personally, i think reading lemony snicket gives a big boost of coolness, rather than loserdom! :)

Well, if you like the movie, the books are great .. there are a lot of details and bits of humour that are in the books but not the movie, they are a lot of fun, although a lot quicker read than , say, Harry Potter.

lately i've been buying all my books at Cole's book store. i used to work at the one that i shop at so i go in to visit all the time on break at work (i work in the same mall) and end up shopping while i'm in there because the conversation always turns to books (of course). and now that i don't smoke (almost two years now) there isn't really much else to do on break at the mall, smoke, shop or visit. i do the latter two.

every time I see your avatar, I wonder ... are those young men reading Ginsberg's 'Howl'? Where is that picture from?
Yes they are. The picture is from a postcard titled "Cadets at the Virginia Military Institute read Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg".

I'm think about changing my avatar back to a picture of Nectar's Fries 'n' Gravy (Mmmm... fries... gravy... Nectar's...) but I'm gonna stick with this one just a little longer.