Jambands.ca

"Are cellphones ruining the concert experience?"

MarcO

It's not as far-fetched as it seems. As more and more concertgoers fiddle with cellphone cameras and fidget with BlackBerries, some people say mobile technology is ruining the concert experience.

"It's extraordinarily irritating," says Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame. "All these people holding up these horrid little squares of bright light."

"It's like they're not even there," says jazz guitarist Bill Frisell. "It's like, 'Why don't you put that away and listen to the music?' "

This is a reality shake right there. Basically, if you're more concerned with capturing the moment with a digital device that can't really experience the moment like your brain can, you're missing a fuckload of memories that are very powerful.

Anytime I have managed to get photo credentials for a live show, I am very focused on getting the best pictures I can get and that means taking my focus away from the moment. A show that only allows photos for 3 songs is great because you are not allowed to use your camera after those tunes so you actually enjoy the show. However, when I've got my camera gear and I don't have to put it away, I really really really have to force myself to put it away or I'll just run around with my camera the entire night and realize later that I've not fully experienced moments that I should have.

Cellphones allow people to get distracted as long as they have memory. But the quality that you get out of these things isn't really worth the effort for the most part. However, I am glad that this technology is around, because there have been some great Youtube vids posted from things that you would never have seen any sort of video come out of.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out to use the pay phone on the corner yesterday and found that it's been removed. Fucking cellphones.

rant rant rant

that's scary. I'm with you. I have no cell, and I figure if I need to call someone, I can find a pay phone.

The reality is that if I need to call someone, I can ask someone to use their cellphone.

I went out to use the pay phone on the corner yesterday and found that it's been removed. Fucking cellphones.

rant rant rant

And it would have cost you 50 cents too. Preach on brother Beavis!

As well' date=' a lot of pay phones (like the ones on the bus platform at the Kennedy subway station in Toronto) don't take coins anymore, just credit or pre-paid phone cards.[/quote']

Seriously... way to screw over the homeless and disadvantaged. Fucking society.

it's really expensive to get people to go collect the coins from machines you know. "they" (we hate they, remember?) are slowly getting rid of functional coins. our banking cards and credit cards will eventually control vending machines as well. Parking meters have been moving to coin free operation along with the telephones. We just went to the grocery store the other day and ms.hux used her credit card. She didn't have to sign anything. The fucking chip signs the slip for you now.

freaky shit.

I've never brought a cell phone into a show before.. Doesn't fit in my pocket and I just don't know when I'd use it anyways since I can't even go to get a beer cause I'd miss some of the show.. I see people who are constantly on their phones during concerts, and it confuses me, but never has ruined my experience.

I have a friend who gets "lost" in his cell phone sometimes during shows.. I've always wondered why, but when I'm not with him at a show I would normally want to be at, he sends me texts of random things/songs that he knew I'd enjoy and I always love it.. It's like I'm sort of there when I'm not if that makes sense.. And now I understand that he's doing that with other friends and it's pretty cool of him!

haha Normally, I think takign picturs and filming shows through your phone looks silly and I think it does take a bit away fomr the intesity of the shows atmosphere but I have been known to from time to time, open up the phone and and call buddies from bnck home so they can hear a song of two

However, I am glad that this technology is around, because there have been some great Youtube vids posted from things that you would never have seen any sort of video come out of.

Seems like a very trivial benefit for the disaster that is cell phone usage.

I just know that I'm going to die in a car accident where the driver is on the phone. I know it. How many times do I have to see someone talking on their cell drive straight through a red light or (even more common) stop dead at a green one? It's like they've legalised drunk driving and all the cops and lawmakers are sitting back letting it happen because Labatt's has good lobbyists. For those that say they are skilled drivers while talking on the phone I would argue that I'm a skilled driver while under the influence of alcohol.

Cellphone use disgusts me more than anything else I see in society.

Don't get me started on Ipods.

I just know that I'm going to die in a car accident where the driver is on the phone.

it's a bad and dangerous habit, for sure, but the benefit of cell phones is very apparent in crashes as well - 911 calls are made immediately. i'd like to think that lives have been saved. i wonder which way the scale tips.

• Velvet Said:
  • bouche Said:
However, I am glad that this technology is around, because there have been some great Youtube vids posted from things that you would never have seen any sort of video come out of.

Seems like a very trivial benefit for the disaster that is cell phone usage.

I got your trivial benefit right here.

I just know that I'm going to die in a car accident where the driver is on the phone.

it's a bad and dangerous habit' date=' for sure, but the benefit of cell phones is very apparent in crashes as well - 911 calls are made immediately. i'd like to think that lives have been saved. i wonder which way the scale tips.[/quote']

My guess is the scale tips waaaayyyyyy to the cell phones cause more death than they save side. Actually, I doubt I could be convinced that cell phones have saved more than the tiniest number of lives worldwide, but obviously, that's just me.

Wonder how many have died because there aren't payphones in the middle of nowhere anymore?

Of course if it comes out that cell phone waves cause cancer then AD's point becomes positively moot. But then the cell phone companies have proved they don't, right?

Enough for me, puts me in a bad mood this early in the day.

not trying to put you in a bad mood velvet. i'm not a huge 'cell-phones are awesome' flag waver, i used to hate them too. until i found they made my life a bit easier.

gonna stop there for the sake of your mood. :)

hehe

the very first thing velvet said to me when we met was "do you own a cell phone?" (lol) i said "no, do you need to make a call?" he said "no, just checking". i thought it was a bit odd for a first remark (i just made a funny... bit odd :P ) but now i know why he asked me out....and the rest as they say....

I don't love cell phones, I do like to text my sisters, I miss them.

I hate television more. Wasting hours and hours every week staring at the television like a zombie.

Everyone should go at least a month without each year without a television...most would probably never go back.

Everyone should go at least a month without each year without a television...most would probably never go back.

Our TV died before our move, so we were in Asheville for a little over a month without one. I loved it! I hate wasting time staring at a television (I do enjoy movies every now and then.. but mostly documentary and music stuff).. Our friend came and brought a TV while he's staying here, and it drives me nuts that it all the sudden became the focal point of our living room. Before there was other stuff like art and nature to look at, now the TV rules the room it seems like it..

I just hate TV..

This is coming from a girl who graduated with a bachelor's in video production! :crazy:

I got your trivial benefit right here.

Nice one!

My guess is the scale tips waaaayyyyyy to the cell phones cause more death than they save side.

Velvet's study on people being murdered by cell phones should be published!

here's an actual study to back up part of velvet's own study. However, I highly doubt that the number of cell phone related traffic deaths would be more than the amount of life-saving calls made to emergency call centers.

more

While the increase in cell phone use is believed to be a significant contributor to higher car accident statistics, in reality the influence appears just minor.

Our friend came and brought a TV while he's staying here, and it drives me nuts that it all the sudden became the focal point of our living room. Before there was other stuff like art and nature to look at, now the TV rules the room it seems like it..

I just hate TV..

Most TV's these days come with an on/off switch, even in North Carolina.