Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 14 - and i know, i should never have a problem. which is why i scratch my head a lot.'

edit: you know "rovers" in softball, the 10th man on the field? i've felt for a long time that the 14 route needs a "rover" bus - just going along the route all willy nilly picking up the leftovers.

Edited by Guest

I rely on the bus everyday to get to and from work and everywhere in between, this strike will fuck me over considerably...That said I fully support the drivers striking. They deserve to have all of their demands met, and I'll gladly join you on the picket line buddy.

Solidarity!

Unfortunatly, the membership was divided 3 years ago. 51% voted for the removal of the 6 sick days.

Our membership has changed greatly, some 400 drivers have retired since then I we have hired about 700 more.

The drivers close to retirement did not want to go on strike, so they could pad thier pay checks for thier last few months/years on the job. They had no problem giving up the 6 days when they have 8 weeks of holidays they could use up.

this is what irks me, you're holding people over a barrel after having negotiated away the things that you're asking for?!?

During a recession!!??

Guest Low Roller

Essential services should never be allowed to strike because of the strain it puts on the rest of the population. Too bad they will never pass that law, but the overall health of the whole must supersede the desires of the few.

On the plus side, the city will be saving $3M a week because of the strike. That's a ton of money that can get shifted to snow removal, fixing roads, and repairing crumbling infrastructure.

Oh yeah, and city councilors voted to increase taxes by 5% for 2009 rather than cut funding to various programs. So there you go.

Offer refused by bus workers*:

1) 7% wage increase over 3 years

-Starting wage for 2007 for driver: $24.23** up to $25.93 after 3 years (or $50398 up to $53926 after the 3 years based on 40 hour work weeks, 52 weeks per year).

2) 8 days uncertified sick leave

3) advancements in the union position in terms of contracting out and scheduling

*Source: http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/local/article/152291

**Source: http://206.191.16.137/datasum/current%20English/0376209s.pdf

Edited by Guest

Offer refused by bus workers*:

1) 7% wage increase over 3 years

-Starting wage for 2007 for driver: $24.23** up to $25.93 after 3 years (or $50398 up to $53926 after the 3 years based on 40 hour work weeks, 52 weeks per year).

2) 8 days uncertified sick leave

3) advancements in the union position in terms of contracting out and scheduling

*Source: http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/local/article/152291

**Source: http://206.191.16.137/datasum/current%20English/0376209s.pdf

I work for Service Canada, specifically the Employment Insurance Division. We are overwhelmed with layoffs, seasonal contracts and business closings. There are thousands and thousands of people who would jump at that kind of offer.

There sure are. There are probably thousands in ottawa alone that would drive the bus for less than the current deal too.

Talk about sick days? OC transpo employees are in direct contact with the public and so need more sick days. Hello?? Waitresses? Retail employees?? Minimum wage with no sick days...

The thing that pains me the most about this is knowing that there will be families out there who managed to scrap together just enough to get the kids a tiny present for christmas but will now have to spend that money on cab rides or making up for lost hours. Thanks OC transpo, I guess you guys are pretty fucked too at $25/hour, not near enough to scrape by in these tough economic times. And while mom has to explain to her daughter that she won't be home for christmas because she has to work to make up for cab money or hours lost, well, lets just say that I hope karma comes back and hits all the greedy assholes at OC transpo good and hard.