Jambands.ca

Phil or Mike?

fluffhead77

My opinion, Mike is the more versatile and Phil is the more unique. Phil seems to stick to his style of playing, which is awesome by the way. But Mike seems to incorporate a little of everything into his playing. Things like slapping & popping, tapping, finger plucking. I don't see Phil doing those things, he tends to stick to using the plectrum.

Murray: Bret, you should have a guitar.

Bret: I sold it to pay the bills.

Murray: You can't go on like that! Won't it sound weird with just the 'big guitar' that Jemaine plays?

Jemaine: Bass. It's called a bass guitar.

Murray: Well, I call it the 'Dad guitar' 'cause it's more like (deep voice) "Da da da da - I'm your Dad. Hey Murray, get into the shed and get the mower and do the lawns - de de de." You need Bret's 'Mum guitar' to add the beautiful tones (high voice) "Come on, darling, Murray's okay. Why you get home so late, Gordon?" (deep voice) "I was just havin' a few beers."

Bret: It'll sound fine.

Murray: It won't sound fine, Bret, you've got no guitar! (Bret plays his air guitar) I can hardly hear it! You'd have to be deaf to hear that.

My opinion, Mike is the more versatile and Phil is the more unique. Phil seems to stick to his style of playing, which is awesome by the way. But Mike seems to incorporate a little of everything into his playing. Things like slapping & popping, tapping, finger plucking. I don't see Phil doing those things, he tends to stick to using the plectrum.

I agree. It took me a while to really appreciate Phil's playing because his approach to playing the bass is so unique. He doesn't lay down a groove in the same way as Mike or many other players.

Phil or Mike? Phil and Mike!

Peace, Mark

Phil used to play with his fingers, as seen in Festival Express. But the tone he got by using his flat-pick was a big part of the Dead's sound. Slapping, picking, whatever. All talented bassists can play any style. Entwistle was a great slap-bassist, but he rarely played that way. And I think Victor Wooten is more impressive when he doesn't rely on flashy slapping and popping, but that's just me.

"I did a bass duet with Mike Gordon when I sat in with Phish. I generally abhor bass duets, but it was marvelous- it was actually beautiful. ...we just played it by ear. He knows how to get out of my way, and I know how to get out of his. It was like two hippopotami humping!""

-- Phil Lesh, June 2000 Bass Player Magazine"

Murray: Bret, you should have a guitar.

Bret: I sold it to pay the bills.

Murray: You can't go on like that! Won't it sound weird with just the 'big guitar' that Jemaine plays?

Jemaine: Bass. It's called a bass guitar.

Murray: Well, I call it the 'Dad guitar' 'cause it's more like (deep voice) "Da da da da - I'm your Dad. Hey Murray, get into the shed and get the mower and do the lawns - de de de." You need Bret's 'Mum guitar' to add the beautiful tones (high voice) "Come on, darling, Murray's okay. Why you get home so late, Gordon?" (deep voice) "I was just havin' a few beers."

Bret: It'll sound fine.

Murray: It won't sound fine, Bret, you've got no guitar! (Bret plays his air guitar) I can hardly hear it! You'd have to be deaf to hear that.

Davey boy - 1, Phil and Mike - 0

The Dead

June 20, 2003

SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY

Set 1

01. Tuning >

02. Here Comes Sunshine >

03. El Paso (1)

04. Stagger Lee

05. Dear Mr. Fantasy (2) >

06. Jam (2) >

07. Baba Jingo (2)

08. Looks Like Rain (1)

09. Mr. Charlie >

10. Lovelight

Set 2A

01. Tuning >

02. China Cat Sunflower >

03. New Potato Caboose >

04. Jam >

05. I Know you Rider>

06. Drums (3) >

07. Bass Jam (4) >

Disc 3: Set 2B

01. Eyes Of The World (4) >

02. He's Gone >

03 Cryptical Envelopment >

04. Jam >

05. The Other One >

06. Cryptical

07. Ripple (1)

08. Sugar Magnolia

09. Donor Rap

10. We Bid You Goodnight

(1) Bob acoustic

(2) with Steve Winwood (opening act)

(3) with Winwood drummers

(4) with Mike Gordon on Bass

Boy that was fun, that is until Joan came out and ruined it.