Jambands.ca

Twitter?

Ms.Huxtable

Hey are any of you on Twitter? I keep trying to give a shit about it, so far I don't. Maybe if I followed real people I'd get more out of it than celebrities who think what they have to say is so important.

So, what's your twitter address (is that even right?) and who do you follow that's worthwhile?

BTW I'm @shammyhuxtable but I've written 1 thing in 6 months so don't expect much from me.

i'm @the_alpha_nerd

but also run

@gridfest

I think twitter can be a great tool for social marketing... which is what I mainly use it for...

The back end of it is open and documented so it is easy to write applications that take advantage of twitters API.

For example... I have my twitter connected to my vimeo page, my sound cloud page, and my facebook fan page

When I update any of those it automatically tweets what I did.

For the @gridfest... there is a blog associated with it... when I update a new entry to the blog it automatically tweets it.

This can be useful for those using RSS readers... any time I update the website... it tweets it... and then will inform you on your desktop of the update.

It can also be a great way to get news about very specific things... like if a website it down you can try searching for the website to see if you can find information about it... if you are at a conference you can see who is chatting about it...

When phish was doing the live stream cast I managed to get technical updates by searching #couchtour and #livephish

Also people have used twitter to know when they need to water their plants

http://www.botanicalls.com/kits/

that kit was made by a prof of mine

I've been using Twitter a lot more this year. It's great for sports news and jokes.

Yeah, a lot of the celebrities are vapid but some of them post gold, it's just a matter of trial and error.

I don't tweet much but if you want to check out who I'm following you can find me @ollieng.

Me too... I never tweet. @kdazzle

follow Yoko and she follows you back!

I like to follow comedians mostly - Coco, fallon, chapelle, murphy... OMG facts is pretty fun too. Pitchfork, fark, charlie sheen, funny or die, norm, nealon, the av club, the onion, rick mercer, nasa, winnebago man, strombo, prince, gaga, gary busey, snoop dog

i have it but i never post either. i think my name is @missmeggo? but i'm not even sure if that's right. i think i only follow rick mercer...

edit: i just checked and i'm actually @meggomango. oh.

kdazzle = awesome

Edited by Guest

BTW I'm @shammyhuxtable but I've written 1 thing in 6 months so don't expect much from me.

About the same as me. I re-activated mine recently to follow the whole Charlie Sheen shit.

@Esau13

haha... I did exactly the same! I can't keep on it. Maybe if I had a cell phone that I was constantly in my face I'd give a shit but I don't.

I have recently signed up. I mainly use it for talking about wine events and restaurants. I really should use it more.

I recently posted about a pre-release party we were hosting and actually attracted someone from am radio who ran a piece on our new wine.

@reifwinejason

I'm on it. it took me a long time to find the value in it but now I have it up and running all day long. It's kinda like having the radio on in the background, you can tune in from time to time and check up on headlines and such, but largely it's background noise unless I'm specifically looking for something or a particular tweet catches my eye.

I'm @thatpatguy

Guest Low Roller

I'm on there too. @AZadarski.

I use it mainly to follow sports news and rarely ever post. Real addictive during NHL trade deadline day.

I am both @aarongoldstein and @huronmusic

The former is random musings and bits from the road and studio when I'm out as a jobber.

The latter of course is all things Huron, bigging up upcoming shows and lots of tweets from the road when we're out there.

@huronmusic also feeds from the Huron Facebook...so sometimes when a bandmate spells "St. Catharines" wrong it gets reposted to Twitter anyway.

Twitter has quickly become my main source for all manners of news and information. It's just so quick. Follows I'd recommend:

MSNBC Breaking News - @BreakingNews

CBC News - @CBCNews

Exclaim! - @exclaimnews

Spinner - @spinner

?uestlove of The Roots - @questlove

The Onion - @TheOnion

Family Guy writer Alec Sulkin - @thesulk

Sarah Silverman - @SarahKSilverman

Jian Ghomeshi - @jianghomeshi

Alan Cross - @alancross

Edited by Guest

Yeah - I've been on there for a few years... I was mad for it at one point, then got bored, then got back into it...

It was fun at first to exchange tweets with Courtney Love, Vernon Reid, and I even got Jorma Kaukonen to check my stuff on MySpace. I was psyched when he sent me a msg with thumbs up!

Aside from that, the celebrity thing is kinda boring.

***But it is a very modern, uber high-speed form of communication - definitely the way of the future. You'll find breaking news on there first - way ahead of the web and def. waaaay ahead of TV.

There is also a Big jamband community on there. Do a search with a hashtag for #gratefuldead or #phish, and you'll see.

The Dead Blog: @thedeadblog

GD Listening Guide: @deadlistening

Jorma Kaukonen: @JormaKaukonen

Just a few that come to mind.

Peace.