Jambands.ca

Jamland

mark tonin

Jamland has been my main creative endeavour and a labour of love for me over the past number of years. I would like to invite my friends from this community to the two events mentioned in the picture below. Please send me a message if you would like more info. Many of you are now my Facebook friends and are a part of the Jamland community, but some of my online musical friendships seemed to get lost in a cyberspace black hole as things moved from what was once a vibrant and thriving discussion board community to the place where people like things but often times don’t say much else. As well, with Jamland in particular, it’s always been a bit of a juggling act trying to keep things “small and under the radar” while still getting the word out to friends who would appreciate the place and what we have been trying to create.

I am really excited about the film and am thrilled with the final product. I never envisioned that I would make a documentary film, but I am fortunate to have a teaching colleague who is an excellent visual artist and filmmaker (Robert Waldeck from Drywal Media). When I was first approached by Rob to shoot some footage at Jamland, I said “sure” and didn’t really know what to expect. I don’t think he really did either. But it has turned out better than imagined. And the film was made with the event in mind, so I am obviously excited about the actual event! J

Peace, Mark

478327_orig.jpg

Booche, boiler rat, Schwa and c-towns, thanks for making me laugh my ass off while reading this thread! For the record Schwa, your line about an erection is in the final version of the documentary and it still makes me laugh. But it's not your only appearance ... you also move wood and sizzle.

PassedoutGuy, thanks for the kind words. The screening will be a public event but I will post advance ticket info here and to friends on Facebook to ensure that you and my other musical friends have first dibs on tickets. There will be an after-sceening live music gathering at the Jazz Room in Waterloo.

The actual Jamland event will be sorta secret but not really yet kinda secret, so I will figure out a way to get info to friends that are interested in going.

Velvet, I hope to see you at one or both of these events, or at a Jamland event down the road. Your enthusiasm and passion for live music, and your logs and posts and stories have provided me with lots of reading enjoyment over the years.

Thank you edger for you words, as they warm my heart. Your friendship and support and positive words about Jamland and other musical adventures help to keep the fire going.

wow!  super cool. Congratulations on both projects Mark! It seems to me that the documentary could be one helluva promotional engine for Jamland, lighting up the radar with blips.  

Any thoughts on remote screenings?  A couch tour version via Ustream or Youtube?  

wow!  super cool. Congratulations on both projects Mark! It seems to me that the documentary could be one helluva promotional engine for Jamland, lighting up the radar with blips.  

Any thoughts on remote screenings?  A couch tour version via Ustream or Youtube?  

Jamland doesn't need promotion. It's an invite only type thing and I'm sure it gets as many people as it needs, although it is always great to see new faces added to the jamland family. My oldest boy has been a staple of Jamland since the beginning and is something he is always so excited to go to. 

This is one of the first, if not the first Jamland:

1779316_10155374317280377_69116863271434

He's been known to spend a lot of time right in front of the stage:

(Harvard Mouse w/ Dan Walsh aka The Beard aka Walshy McBeard)

300079_10150818228305377_1277982642_n.jp

The Blurry Strangers:

(Blurry Pickers/Unseen Strangers)

294173_10150818224915377_348909288_n.jpg

248480_10150652245280294_2885729_n.jpg?o

The year of the puppet show, Jackson and Cohen and I do believe that would be Nitro Compression Cohen has there :)

564981_10151811535190377_2070624225_n.jp

(Blurry Pickers -  with Josh from the Fat Cats and Ryan from Diesel Dog)

247497_10150652763910006_4165782_n.jpg?o

Being that my little guy is a dancing machine, I can only hope to watch him growing up through Jamland memories and photos also. He's been to one now, before he was walking so the next one he'll be sharing the front of the stage dancing and jamming with his brother and lots of friends,

Ha, that's my little man from a couple of years ago in the background on the swing in the third photo. Yet another reminder of how big they are all getting. I was asking Rowen a couple of weeks ago if he has any interest in coming to a new festival with his ma this year...he wasn't overly interested in a couple of the options I threw out there but he sure put in a strong pitch for going back to jamland! Not that I needed my arm twisted but he was quite the thorough salesman!

Jamland doesn't need promotion. It's an invite only type thing and I'm sure it gets as many people as it needs, although it is always great to see new faces added to the jamland family. 

Yeah, I understand that.  I'm just recognizing that the interest in Mark's doc could have a side effect of much more unexpected awareness of Jamland outside of the tight collective.

True.

The tight collective is part of what makes it so special. Another big part of the jamland is the actual piece of magical property it is on. It can only handle so many people. I hope that the doc goes absolutely viral but I certainly hope everybody that sees it doesn't show up. There is always first timers there, which is great but too many at one time would be scary. Not sure if I'm expressing myself properly here. It's just the best.

I think of it as more of a loose collective...Friends and friends of friends. I haven't known perhaps the majority of people yet somehow do on some level by the time I leave. Yes numbers and capacity and avoiding sketch factor and maintaining respect for the land, and a good balance between the element of free let 'er hang shake it out expression while ensuring children are in a positive environment are all ongoing concerns. Careful disclosure (or lack thereof) of location is a big part of that. I don't really anticipate the documentary resulting in an onslaught of riff raff that would cause problems or a volume issue that is way beyond control. And at least if it ever gets to that we have Tonin and his brand of ruthless security to shut that down...Afroman style... Plus Joni carries a chainsaw with her at all times to cut people down to size if need be.