Jambands.ca

Question of the Day

Ms.Huxtable

Sorry H, I have taken over for today.

So I think we all venture into the States on a regular basis. What are some products that you have have seen that you can't get in Canada. Do you like 'em or hate 'em?

I think we all know about canned cheese. It's not refridgerated and I don't think it's available in Canada. I think that's nasty.

Also, Lays has a flavour of chips out in the States called California Dill. I like 'em.

I recently saw chips packaged in a plastic container. I was absolutely disgusted by this. Overpackaging for sure. I would hate to see Canada import products packaged like that. (never mind that the Americans truck their garbage up here. Our landfills will be full of those frickin' containers anyways.)

As Catphish pointed out to me Clamato isn't sold in the States and she can't enjoy her ceasars there.

Your turn. Any other product differences?

For me, it's all about BEER. The micro-beer market in the U.S.A. is huge; the number of brewers, the range of styles, and the interesting things they're doing dwarfs the Canadian market (which is pretty good [e.g., Unibroue, but needs better [i.e., less restrictive] distribution).

Aloha,

Brad, Who's Not Bitter, But Could Surely Use A Pint Of It...

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

I think we all know about canned cheese. It's not refridgerated and I don't think it's available in Canada. I think that's nasty.

Loblaws used to sell it.

quote:

I recently saw chips packaged in a plastic container. I was absolutely disgusted by this. Overpackaging for sure. I would hate to see Canada import products packaged like that. (never mind that the Americans truck their garbage up here. Our landfills will be full of those frickin' containers anyways.)

I wonder if you're talking about the packages like those I saw at Walmart the other day.

quote:

As Catphish pointed out to me Clamato isn't sold in the States and she can't enjoy her ceasars there.

The Mercenary pointed this out to me. I've had to explain my Clamato tag lines to my American and British colleagues.

What's down there that isn't up here? Vermont.

Other than 1 store in Mississauga, how about Krispy Kreme donuts. I don't miss one thing about American coffee on tour, but those donuts fueled more than a few thousands kms.

Cherry Coke is always on the top of my list.

And of course the venerable Fifth Avenue chocolate bar..........

Egad! No wonder I always feel like crap when I get home, its all garbage.

Sean

Mr. Pib. It is a US softdrink, kinda like Dr. Pepper. I used to love getting those.

Also, I find that in the southern states, if you order Ice Tea at a restaurant, you get unsweeted Ice Tea. Apparently Sweet Tea is what you want to ask for to get what we think of as ice tea.

Smarties are also something different in most of the us. That's what I hear anyway, I am not sure what they look like though. Anybody?

The Canadians Smarties are the British original chocolate-covered candies; the US couldn't import them or decided to try making them better and failed, ending up with M&Ms...

The US Smarties are what we call Rockets, the sour pills in little wrapped 'tubes'.

Stuff I rarely find up here: Sunkist Fruit Gems, and IBC root beer. And Tropical Fruit Shnapps, tastes like sugar and kicks you later.

speaking of mickey d's...

did u know they sell mclobsters in maine? i saw one when i went to the lemonwheel.

and in buffalo they have mcwings. any other regional discrepancies?

hey...remember the mcdlt? the hot side stays hot, the cold side stay cold. marketing freaking genius!!!

Guest Low Roller

The only thing I ever enjoyed at McDonald's was the Arch Deluxe. But that was many moons ago.

Combos kick pretzel ass.

As far as the question of the day, if it ain't up in Canada it's not worth having. [Razz][smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Davey Boy:

Marlboro Lights.

ISTR that, in Kingston, ca. 1988-89, you couldn't get regular Marlboros (except illegally under the counter, and then irregularly), just the Lights. IIRC, the regulars are in the red & white packs, the lights in tan & white?

(One of my housemates was a big fan of Eddie van Halen, thus the Marlboros...)

Aloha,

Brad

YES...vinegar and salt on fries...nothing else!!!

and who ever thought of mayo on fries?

a la pulp fiction..."yeah, i seen them...they drown them in that shit."

god do i miss those eastern ontario chip wagons...can't find the things in the south!