Jambands.ca

I'm revealing a deep dark secret....

Super Freak

I just remembered another one. Kingswood Music Theatre - sometime in the 80's. Depeche Mode with opener "Book Of Love" - who played their single called "Book Of Love" from their new album "Book Of Love" - My very first girlfriend ever dragged me out to it.

Wow, what a craptacular show.

1982 I was 12.Not proud of this next comment.

Well guess the best I can do is Platium blonde and the Romantics at Hamilton Place.Two hours of the worst music in this hemisphere,the things ya do for girls.

Man the eightys were wierd,no where near as fun as the 70's.(Got 10 good years from that decade!hahaha)

Remeber when city had Cris ward doin music video's all night on fridays or saturdays,lots of bad music there.Metal wednsdays on Toronto rocks.

Gettin on

Granpa Esau [Eek!]

Hehee, Culture Club! I wanted to have my hair in braids like Boy George's, but my mom said no way, over her dead body. I kinda understand her point now.

And his hat in the video for Karma Chameleon! Remember "video hits" on CBC, every day after school? You might be too young to know what I'm talking about.....

Culture Club were actually pretty cool~1989 sounds a bit late for them, I think Boy was in full Heroin self destruct mode by then, but I'm no CC expert.

In 1989 I saw The Stray Cats~still, beyond a doubt, one of the most rockin' shows I ever did see.

If they ever did a reunion-I HIGHLY recomend seeing The Stray Cats.

...well it's Friday night and there's a band that you gotta hear....just a dollar to get in and twentyfive cents a beer...

quote:

Originally posted by Kurisuta:

And his hat in the video for Karma Chameleon! Remember "video hits" on CBC, every day after school? You might be too young to know what I'm talking about.....

Video Hits... sure! I used to think Samantha Taylor was pretty hot. Remember the debate over whether or not she was one of the background dancers in Wham!'s Wake Me Up (Before You Go-Go) video, where they all wore "Choose Life" t-shirts? She wasn't actually in the video, of course, bu that one girl sure did look like her...

And of course, Brad Roberts on Toronto Rocks! And let's not forget Terry David Mulligan on Good Rockin' Tonite (was that what it was called?), and Friday Nite Videos on WGRZ out of Buffalo - came on at 12:30 at night, I remember seeing clips from Ziggy Stardust: The Movie.

First concert? The Cure, summer of 1990, with Love & Rockets and The Pixies opening. Actually, I'm not ashamed of this one at all - it was a fantastic show...

Brian.

August 3rd, 1983 (and I'm NOT looking at the ticket stub,ate will remain in my mind forever), at the Moncton Coliseum, I was wearing my coveted sleeveless jean jacket (not cool enough to have a mural on the back and I fought with everything I had to get to the front of a 10,000 seater sold out show. Got to the rail and enjoyed two hours of squished bliss. The Headpins opening for Loverboy. Changed my life, and I mean that seriously. I walked outta there with a Darby Mills' towel (first time I had ever seen spandex) and a drumstick. Other questionable shows:

The Spoons (at a bar in Moncton on my birthday. I got so drunk I fell asleep sitting on the stage during the show and puked in the parking lot)

Toronto (I actually eventually opened for them on their Reunion tour)

Gowan (he played Strange Animal twice!)

The Headpins (again, this time headlining with Red Rider opening)

Burton Cummings with McLean and McLean (Really)

Plus many more that I've blocked from memory.

Agreed, The Stray Cats were awesome, saw them opening for SRV, 2nd floor, dead centre and backstage passes.

Soooo long ago, I can't actually remember the first....it may have been

Kiss

April Wine

Eagles (at Super X! w/ Chilliwack)

But shows I did see in the 70's/80's that make me blush....?

Village People

Joan Jett

Styx (when they were good....Grand Illusion tour?)

MET Corey Hart!!!! backstage at the Forum. (arrogant prick) he backed up April Wine

Iron Maiden (Number of the Beast Tour - oh yeah!!!)

quote:

Originally posted by Tracy:

Dude ...the Pixie's were an Awsome Band!!!

Debaser is a great tune.

I liked the Cure too, more so thier earlier stuff~you know, caterpillar girl and whatnot...

I think that's a respectable first show
[Wink]

Yeah, it's funny to think that I got to see some of those bands while they were still around. That same summer I also saw New Order with PiL and the Sugar Cubes! Johnny Rotten and Bjork all in one day!

Also saw the first Lollapalooza tour - the one that had Jane's Addiction, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band, and Body Count(!).

I know this is supposed to be about *embarrassing* shows though, not cool ones, so I had better admit to seeing Goddo one time... and Peter Frampton as well! Frampton was at Kingswood (Wonderland) - we bought our tickets 1/2 hour before the show and still scored eighth row centre-stage. There were fewer than 200 people in the whole place. I almost felt embarassed for the guy... [Razz]

Brian.

At the risk of sounding like your grandfather, my 1st show was the Allman Brothers Band in a long since torn down stadium in Jersey City - Roosevelt Stadium. I think the show was in 1973. My 1st exposure to massive amounts of blatant drug intake (I wish this site had a spell chekker).

Anyway, the show ended after the last trains pulled out stranding my messed up pile of friends. What a way to start my addiction to live music!

Man, Bob, You are old.... old enough to be the older kid in the neighborhood that the parents told to stay away from! [big Grin] That show could however take the prize for being the most classic first show. Mine would be JT in 1976 when I was seven, or Beatlemania in 1980, or the one I count as the first, The Dead 4-24-84 in New Haven, CT. ( I also have a tape of the Band from Roosevelt stadium !973, same show maybe?)