Jambands.ca

The Dead @ Darien Lakes

ollie

I know a bunch of people on this board were planning on going... what did you think?

I had a blast! Loved the show!! Didn't think the setlist was as good as SPAC transition-wise but it had more high energy tunes and I lost it to: Truckin', Sugaree and Franklin's Tower. Really happy to catch Just a Little Light as well. Nice Dark Star theme throughout both sets.

It's almost a shame how little this band is getting talked about 'round here this summer. I don't know how any GD fan could not love what these guys are doing. I'm even shocked that the PLQ camp isn't all over this band. They are that good.

08/06/04 (Fri) Darien Lake Performing Arts Centre - Darien Center, NY

Set 1: Jam > Jack Straw > Dark Star (jam) > A little Piece For You, Just A Little Light > Loose Lucy > She Said, Help On The Way > Slipknot > Hey Pockey Way > Fire On The Mountain

Set 2: Blackbird, Truckin'> 8 Miles High > Dark Star > All That We Are > All Along the Watchtower > Drums > Space > Sugaree > Dark Star > Slipknot > Franklins Tower, E: Ripple

I knew that line would draw some fire. What is it about Warren that ruins it for you?

I was skeptical before I saw my first show. I thought Warren was stretching himself thin and becoming overexposed. But he really brings this band together.

I loved my past week. Woke up feeling depressed yesterday moning. It's all over now. Maybe Phil & Friends will tour this fall?

And Mule in Toronto in October. I've loved Warren since the first time I saw him.

Highlights for me at Darien: Hey Pockey Way, Blackbird, Sugaree, Franklin's Tower, and Ripple.

Light show's been great on this tour! We could see faces!

Our seats were just perfect. Aisle seats, center section, 10th row.

The crowd was rowdy. Losta drinking. We could drink at your seats there. I didn't since I had to drive after. The only beer was Bud anyway, so I didn't miss much.

okay i can't really comment on the first half of the show, i started checking back in to planet earth during "she said"... i loved the show from that part on. highlights:

-sugaree: i thought i was going to melt. possibly my favourite dead tune, throw in those fireworks in the background and i felt like the luckiest kid around. woohoo!!

-bobby singin blackbird. sooo cool.

-ripple encore. reminds me of campfires at the cottage.

-warren! no i'm not talking about warren haynes. i'm talking about warren "godzilla dancing man". wow what a trip he was!!!

-warren! warren! warren! okay now i'm talking warren haynes. i love this man. i love how he plays slide guitar, i love his gravelly soulful voice, and i love that on top of it he's a wicked guy (can't talk from experience but i've only heard good things about how he treats his fans). not to mention he tours with the dead, the allmans, the mule, and sits in with pretty much anyone you can think of. seeing him also kind of felt like home after seeing him play with the brothers so many times. love him.

great to see some skancs kickin around!

there is nothing better than dancing on a hill, one of your favourite bands on stage playing one of your favourite songs, fireworks going off, and surrounded by friends... great time!

okay i can't really comment on the first half of the show, i started checking back in to planet earth during "she said"... i loved the show from that part on.

That's probably why I liked Truckin' so much... that's when I checked back in. I'm just glad I was able to stand upright the whole time. 8 Miles High.

great to see some skancs kickin around!

I saw Willy standing in front of the 200 section at set break but I was in no shape to make introductions. Said hi to Stapes' dad a few rows in front of us before the show. He gave us a pile of stickers which were a lot of fun to hand out.

oh, and warren certainly doesn't 'ruin' it for me.

i love the band. but i dont rave about them. thats all.

Thats cool. Bold statement to make with all the rabid Warren fans out there...!!

Anyhow, my chips in: I like Warren, a lot. He is crazy and seems to be everywhere but I dig him. He's totally in his element when playing with Govt Mule or solo and I think he brings on great personality when he plays with the ABB and the Dead. In the ABB it can turn into a bit of a "showcase" between him and Derek..sometimes I like it, other times Im wishing someone else would get a turn ;) In the Dead, I totally like what he does. At first I was sceptical b/c I thought there was a good chance he'd add too much of that "Warren" sound to the band. (thought it would be Phil and Buddies all over again..not that it would be bad cuz I love that band, just wanting something different). I saw them at the Gorge this summer and thought that he was very "gentleman" like about the whole thing...added himself very nice to that melting pot they already have going. NOt overbearing, and slid in nicely.

Holy fu©king wowsy wow sh!t!!!

That show blew my mind!!!! I checked in--I checked out, I checked in and out, out and in, ioutn... they were really in my head, and all I have to say, and those with me can attest, it was all about the love at Darien Lake. I don't want to be here. I want to be there! :: ::

Blackbird- melted me, Dark Star, Franklins got the super groove out, and Truckin was on cue!!! I was with someone and I didn't even need to speak, the Dead did it all for me!!! unbelievable!

That was an absolutely stellar show. The best post-Jerry that I've ever seen. Great job boys. I smiled the WHOLE time. We had the best seats in the house I thought. We were in the front row of 201. Nice big aisle in front of us. Lots of room. Great sightlines. Fantastic acoustics. It was great to see everyone!

A fantastic show, great crowd energy, and yes, the sound where we were (front row of section 201) was perfect. At one point I started to roam around to see if I could find another sweet spot to enjoy the show from and quickly realized that I was lucky enough to be in a super-sweet spot.

There were no lulls in this show ... I walked in just as Jack Straw started and was totally immersed in the show from Just A Little Light all the way through to the end. Every song was a highlight ...

Saw lots of friends and familiar faces, but was definitely in listening and watching mode rather than talking mode before and during the show.

All around a great dead show.

Peace, Mark

really happy to hear everyone had a great show

have run into some people around town who share the same enthusiastic feelings toward their evening in Darien... super setlist

wish I could've gone but this one wasn't in the cards, fortunately the Bus show in Hamilton made for a fantastic night too

right on deadheads

I am glad that so many people had a great time. I thought the show was pretty up and down myself, but I definitely enjoyed it nonetheless.

I was a little bummed at the Set 1 Dark Star and how it seemed to not go anywhere and thought that the Phil ballad he sung was crap. The Help>Slip>Pocky was cool, even though I am sick to death of seeing them play H>S>Franklins (almost everytime I see a Dead related band they do it!).

The three song portion out of space in Set 2 was a song too short for my liking, but like I said I did like a lot of it.

Hey Willy, did you happen to see Boyko at all? apparently he went on a limb hoping to find me... in traditional boyko fashion though, he said he got super drunk and needed to babysat... hahaha... but he said he was all over Shakedown St. before and after, was wondering if you ran into him? he said he was all over the lawn lookin for me, which is where we were, but i didnt see him, or hear his drunken screams... hahaha

he did Graceland > Darien... nice.

oh ya, and he's moving to Nunavut next week.. what the "F"...

Wow, I didn't realize so many of you were out to witness my virgin Dead experience! After that super-dooper show, I'm afraid I might be spoiled. I'm so glad that you’re all able to recount the details for me... my brain was buzzing so hard with over-stimulation; I think it somehow prevented the cohesion of linear memories! (I'm sure the pint of Jack and yard glasses of marguerita may have played a tiny little role!). Sorry to have missed most of you… I was quite content gallivanting through the crowd with a heavenly yellow butterfly :)

Ah, Beautiful People!

What a trip!

Thanks to my travelling companions (MArk T, Willy and Leeanne) for another unforgettable experience. As Mark and I were driving down making our wish list I recall saying a Help>Slip opener ending with Franklins, was pretty close. Jack Straw kicked it off nicely, the Loose Lucy was a great surprise, Help>Slip>Pockey Way>Fire closed the first set and i kicked into high gear.......Truckin as expected, a smokin Sugaree....Slip>Franklins and Ripple closer WOW!!

Nice to see Mark C and meet some folks. Great crowd, tasty beers (Sierra Nevadas) good lot party.....a great Trip!!

Nothin like a Dead show!!