Jambands.ca

syncronized diving

CatPhish

I watched Womens Sword Swallowing Competion! No surprises, Wang Chin of China won Gold again, Ivana Sukamanoff took the silver.Forget who took bronze (not Canada).

Tough loss to swallow for Canada.Alot of people were rather choked up about it too. :P

Guest Low Roller

What? Ping pong has overweight athletes????? The only people I see playing ping pong are really thin asians who move like lightning when playing the game.

I hear ballroom dancing has good "athletes" too.

There's so many things in the Olympics that should not be there. Anything that has to be judged isn't a sport, in my book. If you're the fastest, it's a sport. If you can jump the farthest, it's a sport. If you score more points that the other guy, it's a sport. If you lift the most, swim the fastest, etc etc etc. it's a sport. If six people give you an average score of X based on certain criteria (totally subjective) it's not a sport.

Blah. Show me the Iraqi soccer team over diving any day. They're 2-0 now, including a win against Portugal...

AD

Lots of things are hard. Try flying a helicopter, or moving a boulder, or juggling 8 bowls of soup... Doesn't make it a sport in my book. I'm not knocking it, I just don't think something that's subjectively judged should be in a competition like the Olympics (Swifter, Higher, Stronger, Deemed better by others?)

AD

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one =)

Construction workers use a great deal of athleticism in their work too. As do luggage handlers at airports.

Don't get me wrong, the gymnasts are amazing to watch, I could never ever do it, and I give them 100% respect and awe, but I just don't agree with the judging aspect of it.

In the Olympics I think you should have to be quantitively better than someone, no exceptions.

AD

she is fo sho!! a chatham girl in the olympics, yeah!!!! so, watch for courtney babcock... she did get married not too long ago, but i think it's still babcock. she's in track, i think she's in the long distance racing. we spotted her in the opening ceremonies, woohoo!!

PS - fyi, i think her event is the 5000m race, and the first round of that is this friday.. i think at 4:30pm (not sure about the time, it's kinda screwy b/c of the time zone difference).

go courtney!

Doesn't make it a sport in my book.

Sounds like people I've heard who say rap isn't music. ::

It's a sport. So what if it's a *judged* sport? Referees make judgement calls all the time that effect outcomes in quantitative sports. Nothing is 100% pure with people involved.

Yeah, but if you shoot from outside the arc, it's 3 points, not 2.9 or 2 based on how well you made the shot. If you put the ball across the line, it's a goal. If you have more goals than the other guy, you win the game. If you run faster than the other guy, you win the race....

While I'm on my rant, I don't like how the equestrian events are in the Olympics. The horses don't get the medal. Jockeys are athletes? C'mon...

AD