Jambands.ca

Any other "Sugaree" fans?

long time runnin'

Hey y'all. I was just reminiscing over an "Other Ones" Alpine Valley show I saw in 1998. They played a killer "Sugaree" and I cried like a baby. Is anyone else familiar with this song, and if so, do you like it as much as I do? Also, I wondered if anyone else has an idea of what some of the lyrics mean. From what I can gather, Sugaree's numbers coming up, and the songwriter is urging her not to mention him, either to his benefit, or to hers, or for both of them.

umm, yeah, probably my favourite dead song, i mean, its absolutely beautiful in every way possible.. it's a song thats had a lot of meaning to me in the past, given situations where its happened to be playing. warren haynes gave it a whole new other meaning for me this summer at darien lake, as it was the first time i had ever heard the guys do it live... but my favourite dead version is probably 6.11.76.

super yah- and I'm not a dead fan persay- cause I wanted to get into mucis that was different from my paretns way back when- but it grew on me- particularly this song- and I loved when Susan Tedeschi sang it the best- I think it was at the Palace at Auburn Hills? a few years back- tear jerker.

yes December of 2002 I believe, it was a great version.... it was kind of ironic, I was with my buddy Anz, and he was mentioning to me how it was his favourite song, and this SUV with the lisence plate "SUGAREE" pulled up to the gas station we were at in Michigan, and we both looked at each other and figured it was a sign that it was going to be played that evening...

My favourite Sugaree is one I saw live.

Dylan & the Dead

07-10-87 John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, Pa.

1: Iko Iko, Jack Straw, Sugaree, Minglewood, Althea, Esau, Push, Cassidy, China Cat> I Know You Rider, L. L. Rain, Terrapin> Drumz> Miracle> Black Peter> Around> Saturday Night

Dylan:

Tangled Up, Baby Tonight*, Man Of Peace, Judas Priest, John Brown, Simple Twist, Thin Man, Memphis Blues, Chimes Of Freedom, Queen Jane> Serve Somebody, Joey, Watchtower E: Touch

*Garcia on pedal steel

first "Judas Priest"

first "Serve Somebody"

first "Simple Twist"

first "Tangled Up"

hippy.gif

i think sugaree is my favourite dead song, too. it always makes me stop and take notice... and always stirs up some emotion. beautiful beautiful beautiful. the same one guigs mentioned, warren with the dead at darien this summer, WOW WOW, stunning. i only have one recording of it from the terrapin station series. isssagoodie.

The simple, yet powerful baseline is instantly recognizable. Yes, it's my favorite. The "jubilee" apparently comes from the myth that every 49 years there is a "jubile," where one can cleanse the soul and be given absolution to start over. On a lighter note, "shake it, sugaree" calls up wonderful images of beautiful girls who may have baggage, and trouble, but take time to forget it all and dance.

jubilee

In ancient Jewish times, Jubilee was held every 49 years, and was a ritualized way of giving everyone a clean slate. The tradition is outlined in the Bible in Leviticus, chapter 25:

And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family. A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed. For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.

The basic tenet of jubilee is that all debts should be forgiven. This included indenture and mortgage of person and property. Thus, the concept was readily embraced by America's slave population, and entered our folklore.

Perhaps the character in "Sugaree" is saying that both of them would need a jubilee in order to freely see each other again; otherwise, they will remain on the run for whatever mysterious reason.

From the Annotated Grateful Dead site

2002 at the Palace was great ,Susan nailed it,I kept thinking that eve "i just saw angel",.

In addition to the jubilee I think he wants her to be safe," you don't me" so some how the powers that be will look favorably upon her if she doesn't know him.I love tis song as well.

Burtman does a great accoustic solo version also.

Quote: "I think he wants her to be safe," you don't me" so some how the powers that be will look favorably upon her if she doesn't know him"

Thank you. This is the impression that I always get, which really adds to the nostalgic sadness of the song. "We had our great times, but now, during your trial, it's better if I never exisited to you"

Great posts! Everyone might have their own interpretation of this song, and the beauty is that no one is wrong.

anothere song i can't get enough of is Cats under the stars

Cats on the bandstand

Give 'em each a big hand

Anyone who sweats that hard

must be all right

No one wants a fight

No black eye

Just another cat beneath

the stars tonight

like dude that just summed it all up

and this line

Time's a stripper

Doing it just for you

wow!

I think we all know that Robert Hunter is the man. That long interview someone put up a link to a while back reminded me of the Hunter/Garcia bond and composition process (where's that link?). Both songs (Sugaree and Cats Under The Stars) are deceptively simple but contain broader if you like literary illusions. I think you guys nailed the Jubilee bit and the downheartedness of Sugaree. Cats obviously refers to Egypt and likely Egypt '78 or the experience of it. There is a great deal that could be said about the significance of the Sphinx in relation to the pyramids. I think in terms of that song I think of how Andre Breton the writer of the Surrealist Manifesto and Nadja viewed her (Nadja) as a 'sphinx like' or questioning figure. Surrealism has a lot to do with random circumstance answering a question hitherto unasked, this kind of notion appeals to users of hallucinogens of course, in a roundabout way I am suggesting that Hunter was well versed in all of these interpretations and is using the Sphinx or Cat as a symbol of enduring and impenetrable mystery.

First I love the song,but my memories that arise aren't the same as ya'll unfortunatley,mine aren't really fond ones.

To quote William Shakespeare.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow"

very similar story here esau, my most poignant memory of this song was when it was on the stereo during a most painful parting of ways... so it's bittersweet for me as well. i love it like crazy though. evocative. ::

PS it's kinda interesting... it seems to be one of those songs that inspire "moments." you know? at least, for me.