Jambands.ca

slip in montreal 10/16/2004

meggo

I've now written five lead sentences and subsequently deleted them and started over again. Here's hoping this sticks.

The show on Saturday was excellent. I went in expecting to be my usual eyes-closed, contemplative, emotionally-drenched Slip fan but instead got an asskick of a rock show. If you didn't feel it yourself did you see Marc?! No longer the quiet, straight-faced bassist, he's seated firmly in the role of rock God and...here it comes folks...de facto conductor of the Slip on stage. Yep, I don't play favorites but Marc Friedman is steering that band into greater and greater places. I got that impression and I think it manifested itself in a pulsing, driving, hard-hitting rock show...somewhat of a departure from the prog-jazz or whatever you'd call pre-2003 shows and setlists. They were no less exploratory, no less improvisational, but between Andrew's new drum setup and Marc's thump it was just a really different feel and one I really enjoyed.

I'll stave off picking apart the setlist...it appears there were repeats from Toronto and Ottawa including the Sweet Child of Mine tease. I don't recall where but Brad also did a Predicting the Rain tease in an intro...not significant enough to edit the many setlists but present all the same. The Fuji and the Wolofs were absolute monsters, both of which were causing Bouche in front of me to rotate and dance, and Booche to give me the creepy raised eyebrow here and there. It's all good though.

Despite the rock feel I still wanted to cry at various points, mostly during Suffocation Keep. This might be a good point to talk about the chatter because actually I found it fairly respectable in front of Stage right (Brad) but others were definitely pissed off with it. I hate to centre out Americans but there was some real negativity coming from a few of them up front...blocking off the front of stage and saying "Don't let anyone up here". I don't even need to say "Honey Melon!" without you nodding your heads at how annoying that was? I've witnessed that over and over, and screaming requests is no big thing but trying to isolate others from joining in the fun up front is so low-class. I take it we Canadians see these Slip shows as so much more of a special occasion that we arrive with respect and patience in tow, and that can't be said for some of the others there. It didn't detract from my enjoyment but seems to have bothered others. Hopefully Pete's recording wasn't adversely affected.

Oh, and the afterparty was a good time. I mostly kept in one room from the exhaustion and the effect of the turkey bags (thank you so much you two) but it was great to meet so many of you folks at once. Glad to have met you too Esau, because I don't make it down to SW Ontario very often. Booche and Bouche, Jay the "no beard hiatus look", B-RadM with his lifesaving Swiss Army knife and the rest of you filthy lot whom I've forgotten...tanks a million.

Meggo: That's my Napoleon Dynamite impression, not shakespeare!

Tube: The recording that I just downloaded (Heady Gouda?) is pretty clear. I gather there was more than on taper?

Saturday was awesome. Sunday was not so good. I have never wanted to leave Montreal so fast in my life.

Thanks to everyone for the fun times. Special thanks to those who hosted room parties. Only one visit from security!

It was great to meet you Esau, brief as it was.

Glad y'all enjoyed yourselves. I even heard shocking reports that Hux *gasp* liked The Slip! (I know, I know, it ain't no Ratdog...)

I cried myself to sleep Saturday knowing that I made the responsible choice of not jumping in the car Sat. morning. Next time.

Yeah Ahess, you pretty much summed up what I felt. I honestly HAD to talk to Marc after that show. He was a demon that was sending out waves of 'possesion' on Saturday night. Anyways, he felt that the Montreal show was his favorite of the Canadian dates, which doesnt surprise me based on his level of playing that night.

As the night wore on, I slowly was being entranced by Andrew. He has a unique way of creeping up when you least expect it.

I liked it a great deal....!!

Really made an effort to go down front and absorb as much as possible, and thus would have to withdraw my previous "Berkeley wank" comment.

While I've yet to hear "the song" or "the moment" that is going to make me throw a CD on (it takes time, ask Stapes, re: Ween - the best band on the planet) I'm most amazed at the path this band has chosen.

I mean, with their talent, these guys could've done almost anything musically, that certainly would sell more tickets and make life a lot more comfortable. Instead they are following their weird, and are creating music that is 100% unique, intelligent, and emotional.

I hope they are able to achieve greater success and recognition, at least in the jamband reality where there is no doubt they are at the top of the heap and should be playing the big stage at all the festivals.

I'll see these guys whenever possible. Does that mean I "got it", yeah I guess so......!

Great times :: Super, triple, dog trick, enjoyed myself ::

The venue was a bit claustro but the sound was good. Awesome times.

One odd thing to mention.....girls if ya'll are ever thinking about getting mace or bear spray......I'm telling you......FART SPRAY is insane....this stuff can floor a room of people in seconds. Who the heck left fart spray outside our room?......only in Montreal ::

Nice to meet folks too.

Oh sh!t, another "Booch". Welcome to the Sanctuary Boochawan.

Another thing I wanted to add about the Slip show in Montreal - We were with a couple of newbies who had never seen or really even heard much of the Slip before. I told them over and over again how The Slip was going to tear our hearts apart and make us cry. They played an exact opposite show. It was totally raging the whole night.

I miss them already. :(

Hey yeah...wow, I guess it's a pretty popular name round these parts...

I found wayyyy too many bruises on my body today after all the wraslin'! I think the belt must be shared by RabidMonkey (who flung me over his head 2 or 3 times) and MagicPat (who held me upsidedown 'til I almost barfed). Although I thoroughly enjoyed busting the headboard with Ms.Hux at the end of the night!

hahahaaa

ummm, ya

i re-introduced myself at the Toronto show and awoke to pounding on my hotel room door in Montreal by dread lion

som'n about bags and beers

And that would be my fault.See what happens when I pass out,other people pay for it... ;)