Jambands.ca

Gov't Mule

Drawbar

For those who made it out to the Mule show last night in Toronto, all I have to say is wow. That was amazing. It was truly an awesome experience to witness Warren up close and in such a classy venue. That was my first time seeing Mule and it definately won't be the last. The 'No Quarter' and "The Other One' tease was awesome. It's a good thing they came to town because without an Allman's fix this summer, it would have been a long winter.

See everyone on Halloween.

Josh

Thought the show was great!

Good crowd and Palais Royale is a great venue to see live music.

I was hoping for a Soulshine, seems like they are not doing it much anymore.

Here is a partial setlist in no praticular order.

Fallen Down>Other one Tease>Fallen Down

Bad little Doggie

Tastes like Wine

Blind Man in The Dark

Slackjaw Jezibel

Thorazine Shufle

32-20 Blues

Lola Leave Your Light On

Here's the Setlist:

Set I: 32-20 Blues, Game Face, Birth of the Mule, Drivin Rain, Fallen Down > The Other One Jam > Fallen Down, Slackjaw Jezebel, My Separate Reality, Thorazine Shuffle

Set II: No Quarter :D, Blind Man in the Dark, Tastes Like Wine, Mr Man > Drumz, Lola Leave Your Light On, Bad Little Doggie

Encore: New World Blues [color:"black"]

It was great, wasn't it? I painfully missed the first set as I smiled stiffly and tried to make casual dinner conversation with the Grandparents… but all that quickly vanished as I entered the Palais to the intoxicating sound of No Quarter washing over like a sweet wave rising up from the lake. Oh, what a night! (what a drum solo!!!)

What's the dealio with the keys? (I liked his touque - who's he?)

I forgot all about Tastes Like Whine. fu©k, that was sweet. Nice to meet you CC, which was made even better when I was in front of you for that Other One jam, and felt a soft slap on my back in acknowledgement of what we were hearing.

You know, I think I met you briefly in Slip-Montreal beside Esau? Near the pool tables? Does that make sense?

Seriously, I loved that show. Warren has SUCH a strong presence. Its was as if I had forgotten his power with the Dark Side.

Some late thoughts on the Mule...

Great show. Really wish I could see these guys more than once a year. One show is not enough to get my fix. I was left feeling that I want more, more, more!

A more upbeat and rockin' show than last year's at the Danforth which was dark and heavy. Both were good, just different, although I enjoyed aspects of the Danforth venue more. Lines were shorter at the Palais Royale though.

Band seemed tighter as a unit. Last year I felt it was more like the “Warren Show” but now the other players are getting more breathing room and the lineup is coalescing.

Song highlights:

Birth of the Mule – after two scorching tunes they fall into the jazz groove. I dug this.

Fallen Down – a lighter, laid back version that really took off by the second chorus, and then into the Other One jam and back into the outro… good stuff.

No Quarter – a sweeping epic

Blind Man in the Dark – awesome Danny Louis keyboard work

Tastes Like Wine – probably my favourite song of the set, masterful control of mood

Lola Leave Your Light On – that riff, the drumming = classic Led Zeppelin!

New World Blues – new song for the encore is usually a disappointment but they gave this one a lot of attention and played it beautifully

I'm glad to see these positive reviews, as I'm getting my Mule on for Halloween down here in Virginia! I'm fairly new to the area, and it's my first time to the venue, Landmark Theatre a.k.a. The Mosque. It's beautiful on the outside and I hear even better inside - sights and sound. Plus, I got hooked up with 3rd row center!!! I won't complain even if it turns into the Warren Show - that guy has been completely amazing every time I've ever seen him, no matter who he was playing with, IMO.

"Lola Leave Your Light On – that riff, the drumming = classic Led Zeppelin!"

Hey ollie - were you referring to it having a Zep-influenced sound? Just curious, 'cause the liner notes in Deja Voodoo say written by Warren Haynes/Andy Hess/Jeff Anders.

Took me awhile to recuperate from the high of a seemingly annual Mule show, and the bittersweet afterglow, having a million reflective moments, and knowing that the excitement, anticipation and incredible climax are over for another lengthy period of time. Man, I love that Mule :: As for the quality of the show, compared to the many others I've seen, that one ranked probably in the top 5 for me, but I'm not sure whether it was the compounding factors of setlist, playing, venue, and friends. I absolutely loved it, from the kickass opening notes of 32/20 to the haunting final notes of New World Blues, the Mule have yet to disappoint.

As a footnote, having about 5 bartenders for 1130 heavy drinking Muleheads, might have added to the need to drink 2-fisted all night, which might have been partially to blame for me getting much more messed up than usual...so sorry to anyone I might have accidentally tripped over ::

"Lola Leave Your Light On – that riff, the drumming = classic Led Zeppelin!"

Hey ollie - were you referring to it having a Zep-influenced sound? Just curious, 'cause the liner notes in Deja Voodoo say written by Warren Haynes/Andy Hess/Jeff Anders.

Yeah, Zep-influenced. The guitar riff sounds like vintage Jimmy Page and the beat like John Bonham.

Sorry I missed you bouche, and booche for that matter, but I remember thinking you guys were probably jammed in up close, whereas I was navigating the perimeter all night, remaining particularly close to the back bar (to get the central sound...if ya know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge ;)).

And if you're referring to the guy that was at MMW with me when I met you at the NAC, he's from Ottawa and for a while I was frequently visiting him and your fine city.

Hopefully see you at nero this weekend in TO ::